Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Is there a specific UG program at CMU that targets MDPhD? Think after UG, you apply so nothing after HS- Am I missing something?

D applied to ChE at CMU as no BME but think you can choose one engineering and then move to BME ( weird!).

1 Like

MD PHD programs are more competitive than MD admission that’s what I heard.

My elder child did MD but his friends who did MD PHD their tution in med school was covered at Michigan medical school

1 Like

Admission for both MD and MD PHD are done the same time. There are fewer MD PHD seats

At Vandy it’s $5000 for 400 hrs in summer.

Yes, MD/Ph.D (also known MSTP) are fully funded.

so you are an alumni of NYU Medical?

May I ask why Lehigh not a good option?

1 Like

Makes sense. Most ranked school may have these MTSP including Harvard.

Like MD admissions is there a preference in MD PHD for their own undergrad institute.

Also seen some Nuerosurgery residents with MD PHD.

Is this same in other surgical specialties too as this takes extra time off for PHD ?

Pitt’s MD-PHD:

There is no preference for CMU grads!
It is just that as a student of MD-PhD program you can do RESEARCH at CMU.
CMU’s computational biology department, human-machine interaction lab, and Robotics lab are all cross-functional avenues to pursue research.

BTW - all MD-PhD programs are competitive and Pitt’s program is among the top 5.

2 Likes

According to my friend, the program was “easy” and did not stress his son enough.
If an engineering degree program is “easy”, that is scary enough.

Think UG from top school should be beneficial for MDPhD programs. BME at top school thus helps.

D thinks she wants to do MDPhD. Perhaps better for her then not to compromise UG at lower ranked school for BSMD.

Does BSMD help in getting MDPhD or UG BME from top school is better?

Yes.

You will need to be admitted to PhD of CMU- For that perhaps top school BS is better than less known school.

Not sure on MD but much easy to get into top PhD programs from top school BS. For less known schools, you have to be 4.0 ( usually many Caltech or Harvey Mudd or Stanford etc. end up doing graduate at top schools).

So question is- is it better to go to top BS school ( and forget BSMD) if perhaps the goal is MDPhD. Any data on folks who went for BSMD and moved to MDPhD after UG from less known schools?

Yes you are right.

For MD PHD as seats are less so MCAT and GPA required is higher.

My question is can you apply for both I assume MD can be fallback and they consider your app

Apply after HS?

We never knew if such thing exists ( still learning MD process).

D has 2 publication in peer reviewed journals on longevity research at Jackson and other on Astrophysics at Stanford - Helping her in admission to top schools but Rice/Baylor rejected.

Think she is tilting towards BS in BME at top school and worry about MD and MDPhD later ( awaits SBU).

At what time BU results are coming tomorrow?

Yes MD PHD is the right program

Applying to top 10 programs MD PHD after undergrad is the way to go and I have to talk with my younger one.

I do not think all BS MD programs are binding and you can apply out but you do compromise with undergrad ranking in many of these BS MD and that is why we are only trying one as child has Harvard seat .

If you have Harvard, think you should go for it. Which BSMD is in competition?

We await in April- Columbia so far.

Probably a stupid question. Those who go for MD/PHD, do they end up making research as a career?

I have known some head of medicine and BME or Neurobiology etc. as having both MD and PhD.

For example my D did research in SBU and head of Neurobiology is both. So are many faculty both at Medicine and other dept.

PhD opens door to faculty positions at all MD schools and related areas in univs.

For PhD, ranking of UG is critical although from less known schools, you can get in with high GPA ( 4.0)