Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Rheumatology is a not competitive ( a fellowship after IM) but pediatrics may be a little.

1 Like

Congratulations to your S and family!

No, that hasn’t been the case. The price break for NMF standing comes from undergrad admissions regardless of program or major. They used to give it by default (at least till last couple of cycles ago it seems). But then recently they also have now committed to meeting 100% financial need. So good chances they may be diverting the NMF pool funding to this channel. Also they may have learned from their peer institutions, none of which give such big price breaks for NMF status.

By the way they do have another set of Presidential scholarship awards purely based on overall accomplishments. That is generally distributed across multiple schools and is very unlikely for SMED students since they are all highly accomplished and difficult to discern who stands out amongst them and also it is perhaps capped at 2 or so for the program.

1 Like

If you go through CC, It is very obvious. It must be obvious today.

This makes me think you’re probably right. My C is not in SMED but she was accepted to their UG with 25K scholarship for NMF.

3 Likes

@mygrad2021 Congratulations to your C and family. With undergrad acceptance rates in teens last year and may be even lower this year with record volume of applications, its quite an accomplishment. A good option for you to consider when all the decisions are out.

1 Like

Difficult choices ahead.

Congratulations on BU with NMF 25k scholarship. Take your time to decide until May 1.

1 Like

@srk2017 How come NYMC is there so above the line ?

Has anyone gotten rejected post-interview yet? I don’t want to get my hopes up in the case that they accidentally sent an acceptance to everyone :sweat_smile:

Thank you! I wouldn’t have been able to do it without the advice from all of you
so thank you guys again! Tough decisions ahead

Also would not have been able to do it without you! Thank you for the interview tips and constant reassurance in this thread :slight_smile: You are very appreciated!!

They did not even take my D’s application to SMED because she was missing physics in her high school, they did not accept her application in December even though she told them that she was going to take in winter quarter at community college via concurrent enrollment. But they asked her if she still wants to be considered for their UG, she said yes, and now they accepted her into UG with $25k scholarship.

My only problem with UIC is its campuses location, spread out 3 distinct places, Chicago, Rockford and Peoria. Chicago campus would provide best opportunity to learn being diverse nature of city. Peoria you going to deal with Caterpillar employees. Rockford, I described as no man’s land.
Medical school location assignment doesn’t happen until later part of UG, I believe it has changed recently too.

Rejected post interview for SMED here haha

Exactly, if one is attracted to MD/PhD because of the funded MD part, one extends the duration by 3-4 years minimum. One can get into MD/PhD during first year MS1 at some programs.

haha haha !!! Would you give up your seat for some one rejected post interview. There may be many bidders. What is the minimum bid you would accept ?

Congratulations everyone on BU SMED. It is a good program and child had good interview experience.

Child also selected with NMF but we will inform them soon that we are not planning join so that waitlist moves up fast as we do not want to hold the seat till end.

4 Likes

@sam2024, Congratulations to your DC.

Which one is better: GW/GW or BU SMED? I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

1 Like

@medman16, @gracewins thank you both for the kind words. Some folks seem to think diametrically opposite though :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes