Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@cheer2021 : Congrats on SBU medical.

My D also accepted with BME UG and WISE. She likes SBU but preferes IVYs and has an IVY offer as of now while await others.

On SBU medical, can you go to other med schools or it is binding after 4 yrs. Also decision date is mid -April and UGs May 1. Do people change mind and go to other UG places and later have issues with MD schools or there is no such thing like in Engg. etc.

2 Likes

You can apply out anytime at the risk of loosing your seat. Confirm with OK university by calling them.

You can apply out anytime at the risk of loosing your seat. Confirm with SBU by calling them.

Got Acceptance to Stony Brook Med!

10 Likes

Go to GPPA, don’t break the finance bank for UG. Even your parents are willing to pay for UG, ask then to spend the money difference between UIC and BU UG on med school. That way when you become a Dr. from GPPA, you would have significant less debt than going to BU SMED route.

@grtd2010

So the only risk is BSMD seat at that school. Same as all jobs or engg. So you can go to any MD school after UG.

What if you apply to same school after IVY UG?

Drexel needs 513 MCAT score to qualify for medical school from their BSMD program with 3.6 gpa

When one applies through AMCAS choosing regular MD option, one applies to 20-25 medical schools. You can select any medical school probably based on your UG GPA and MCAT score.

There is no guarantee to school SOM same as UG (IVY or not). Not every UG has affiliated medical school. Not every affiliated school gives overwhelmingly preference to their own UG. Notable exception is UMich. Generally SOM class cohort is comprised of 7-8% of their own UG if there is one (this number gets skewed if that UG also has BSMD program).
However among top UGs, there is lots of inbreeding going on, aka their SOMs cohort happen to have significant % from other top TGs as well. So let us say if top SOMs happen to take 3% of other TOP UG, and there are 20 top SOMs, all of suddenly your chances to get into top 20 SOMs become 60% just because you are in top UG.

Being TX resident and NMF and comparing between UCF and OU choices, will go with OU. Yes, my C went to OU BAMD and currently at UTSW. She enjoyed OU completely and finished in 3 years (though it is 4+4 program). Even if she has to continue in OU MD she does not have any problem with that. Pretty much got close to free ride (spent only around $20k max for the entire 3 years UG including air tickets). Now MD also will be contained within $130k or so for the entire 4 years). Left over 529 may go to her children since I have only 1 child. We put $100k in 529 plans and hence that is the net cost of education for her UG&MD education. My D never used CC and I spend time in CC for my own knowledge I gained and give back to community. So feel free to DM me if you have questions either by you or your S. GL.

With the goal of becoming MD, are there any benefits of doing UG in TX and becoming resident of TX.

I was told that TMDSAS prefers/requires TX resident to get admitted to TX medical schools. Being in TX, you can also apply to AMCAS, so you can have more chances in and out of TX. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

This looks a great strategy on paper but in reality, it may not workout. All medical schools outside of TX may be reluctant to interview applicants domiciled in TX based on their historical experience. TX residents will prefer a TX medical school.

Read this first https://www.aamc.org/media/6016/download
Reality is different.

1 Like

Does anyone have any insight into the Rice/Baylor process? I was rejected for an interview, but is everyone’s application given to the Baylor college of medicine? I heard that they only send 300 applications to BCM, Is that true? Or did everyone else’s rejection from rice/ Baylor come directly from someone from the college of medicine office?

Congrats! @charhat
Seems you got into Hofstra and BU SMED as well. SMED is 7 yr vs others are 8 years programs. Do you prefer one or other choices over Stony Brook (8 yr)?
Thank you!

Thanks for the quick info. But TX medical schools require ~90% instate UG, so chances of getting admitted to TX medical schools should be pretty good with good GPA and MCAT, right?

StonyBrook is asking for min 75 percentile MCAT score and to submit AMCAS application by Fall 2024 to Renaissance of Medicine at StonyBrook. Is that mean StonyBrook allowing candidates to apply outside not risking a seat at StonyBrook?

No, it does not mean anything. You will need to apply to AMCAS a year before matriculation date to medical school. Call SBU to find out the policy about applying out.

Thank you! I prefer Stony Brook over Hofstra. and though BU SMED is appealing, according to current students it can be extra stressful and compressed in the long run, academically and financially. I haven’t decided for sure but Stony Brook is a favorite for me.

Congrats to you for Stony Brook and CNU!

1 Like

Thanks @GoldenRock this helps very much.

2 quick follow ups (yes also lining up these requests of clarifications for OU)

1. did OU allow your C to graduate/BA in 3 years ? I fully understand this might be a case by case
  2. does OU still have the MD seat reserved (if all their criteria are met) if the student applies outside, doesn’t get, and would like to continue the MD at OU

Thanks