Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@Cheer2021, @charhat - Congratulations on Stony Brook BSMD

1 Like

Iā€™m curious. How have you received acceptances to Yale and Columbia? Ivy Day is still to come. Did they give you likely letters. Just curious, nothing else

Last week Feb
How about you?

I also think some of the aversion to CC is because I am here :joy::joy: poor kid just trying to get away from his mom.

I spent what is probably a yearā€™s worth of hours combing these threads and others over the last 2 years to help advise him. I too have found the information invaluable and truly instrumental in his college process going as well as it has.

But honestly he and some of his friends say: CC is my generation, Reddit is for his :woman_shrugging:t2::clown_face:

2 Likes

sameā€¦

Parents gets attacked viciously, so donā€™t go there unless you can handle it

Oh I am good. I spend all day having other parents attack me- no need to continue the battle in my free time unpaid.

Frankly having people who donā€™t have children comment on my parenting has always amused me. Like here you give birth that big headed stubborn monster I did and let me know how it works out for you at ages 2, 9, 11, and 15.

Then we will talk.

Hi,
I got into Union and AMC Leadership in medicine program.
Can we apply out for medial college - Will I lose my spot , if I apply out ?

1 Like

I could use your opinion in deciding between OUā€™s MHSP program with scholarship that makes it in-state tuition, and SLU med scholars with the Presidential scholarship (full ride). OU would definitely be a little more expensive and the med school is a few spots lower in rank (idt that makes a huge difference), but the program is nicer because itā€™s humanities and small with attention and you can also apply outside to other medical schools while in it. But itā€™s also Oklahoma for 8ish years. Saint Louis is more urban and itā€™s private, so thereā€™s more attention that way. But med scholars is a bigger program and thereā€™s a larger community and diversity and activities I like. Plus I might know someone who attends there. GPA/MCAT requirements for OU vary but are usually arounde 3.69/508, for SLU itā€™s set at 3.65/500, but I feel like classes may be harder at SLU since itā€™s private and I feel like it might be more competitive and with more rich people, versus OU which is a larger state school with a 70% acceptance rate you know? Generally I feel like Iā€™d enjoy life and the culture at SLU more and itā€™s cheaper because itā€™s a private school, but I like the program design at OU better because they take AP credits and have really interesting classes, arenā€™t as set in, and donā€™t have that low attrition rate because itā€™s literally 5-6 people. AND you have a guaranteed spot, versus SLU which is pretty much guaranteed if you follow everything but has its horror stories. I could use your advice!

To clarify, for OU you can keep your spot in the med school AND apply outside which is really rare and nice for a BS/MD. And I also am waiting on Brown PLME in a week but Iā€™m tryna decide between these two first.

Augusta has started sending out the BSMD results. My child just got accepted in it.

7 Likes

When was your interview date and when did you get the results?

Are you in-state to GA?

I did in January, got notified in march

1 Like

@srk2017 - you get attacked viciously for posting on SDN? if your posts are similar to your posts here, why would that be the case? even if one were not to agree with you (or anyone else), how/why does it get to a level where one feels ā€œattacked viciouslyā€? by students or other parents?

Ok, Thanks. So those who gave interview in Feb should wait up until Aprilā€¦

1 Like

Philosophy is simple, kid is doing Medicine, not parents. Let kid make all decisions, not parents. Let kid grow and mature and not parents as audience over there is more UG and UG+, not high schoolers.

1 Like

As @PPofEngrDr said they hate helicopter/tiger parents and they think going thru UG and application cycle is maturing process and kids should ask questions but not parents. As you have seen here, I donā€™t shy away from arguments :slight_smile: Unfortunately some moderators also donā€™t like parent participation. ā€œAttacked viciouslyā€ is just attention grabbing wording but usually some premeds criticize and make fun of you but some adcoms and attendings are very helpful.

D got accepted into Augusta BSMD as well which is in-state to us (and way cheaper).
In real dilemma now.
With so many choices BU, Penn, (NJIT/TCNJ) NJMS, FAU, RPI/AMC and Augusta (with so much of price differences), really need some good advice here.
D really liking BU and Penn due to city location, opportunities and better schools (both UG and Med school)
Augusta closer to home, cheaper and warmer weather (though UG and Med school is lower ranked).
Tuition price tag difference between most expensive (BU) and cheapest (Augusta) approx. $350k (UG + Med school).
I guess there are too many variables in play here. Getting tricky to decide. Would like some honest advice from you guys.
D saying she does not want to wait for Ivy day as she is only debating now between BU, Penn Vs Augusta.

1 Like

Who is in control ? Who controls the purse, go with Augusta. PSU is not close to a big city Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. BU is not worth 90k+/per year.

1 Like