Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Thank you, will definitely take that in consideration.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks

DOPEN(Dermatology, Orthopedic, Plastic, ENT, Neurosurgery) Data for UPitts (USNWR Rank 13) vs LKSOM (USNWR Rank 61) both in PA
Dermatology Orthopaedics Plastics ENT NeuroSurgery Matched (DOPEN) ~Class Size DOPEN/Class Size (%)

UPitts SOM 1 6 0 1 1 9 147 6.1%
LKSOM 4 4 1 1 1 11 181 6.08%

It shows similar match for 6.1%(LKSOM) vs 6.1% UPItts. Any one can match anywhere regardless of USNWR rankings e.g. UPitts (USNWR Rank 13) vs LKSOM (USNWR Rank 61).

– deleted

Drexel BS/MD EAP results out

3 Likes

Yes if you put extra effort you can match to any speciality and college ranking does not matter

Only college ranking make it easy for you to match with top residency programs.

I am surprised with many T10 residency nuero ortho plastics etc local programs why UPitt did not select their own medical students. May be requirements are competitive and stringent and residency directors get the best from all over.

Where are they matching though? For prestige obsessed, match location is important :crazy_face:

1 Like

If you look at Upitt Nuerosurgery matches they are mostly in T10 programs which are difficult to match from other schools.

Quality of match is important

The end goal is to become a board certified surgeon. May be the matches are in the regional area. Not every one will match at JHU.

Not to bird-in-hand proponents since all birds get same grains later

Rejection from Drexel. That’s the end of the BSMD road for us.
Good luck to all the students with acceptances and their proud parents, and wishing all the very best to you in your chosen path. Will post stats and experiences in the results thread after C makes UG decision.

5 Likes

@BSMDMOM2021 - thanks and wishing your C the best of luck with his/her UG decision and as he/she embarks on the next chapter (just one of several) of his/her academic career in whatever UG he/she chooses.

Now the decision is between Drexel vs UMKC vs TCNJ/Rutgers NJMS (vs CNU :slight_smile:). Drexel is of course very expensive, but D thinks they have good ortho/sports medicine dept., that’s where she wants to go.

3 Likes

Maybe doctors from T10 residency programs get to take Silicon Valley/NY/LA grains and others get jobs in less urban/rural areas?

That’s not true. As long as you’re trained in a top specialty, job market is always great.

If money is the objective for going into medicine, all you need to do is get trained at any hospital, go where there is shortage, typically small towns and open up own practice or join an existing practice. Even Harvard or UCSF trained ones working in urban areas can beat them unless they are doing concierge medicine for wealthy.

Congratulations on Drexel :clap:. One more added to the list for debate (and more coming on IVY day), I guess!

Drexel is quarter system, MCAT has section min scores. However your child can pursue Biomedical Engineering ad also a six-month co-op in research, clinical, or health informatics, health law, or bioengineering.

If those BSMD options are presented to me, I will take NJMS. But that’s me for saving money and time.

4 Likes

Did Drexel solve their hospital issues? At one point I thought they are slightly above CNU only.

2 Likes

Re: Drexel 2021 Matches
The specialties that the Class of 2021 are pursuing the most are:

Internal medicine, with 57 students matching
Emergency medicine, with 27 students matching
Family medicine, with 26 students matching

The majority of the College of Medicine’s Class of 2021 will train as physicians in Pennsylvania. The next most popular states for Class of 2021 residency matches are:

New York, with 41 students
California, with 19 student

1 Like