Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

We’ve been researching the question of Ivy & top 20 UGs vs NJMS dual. 12 out of 14 doctors we know well said latter with most saying a no brainer as long as the kid is set on medicine. Especially given the admission trends now and over the last several years.

Interestingly, several of them who know NJMS well said many of the students getting residencies with them from NJMS came from Ivy UGs. Most of the doctors we spoke to are in surgery specialties.

7 Likes

May I ask what would SBU cost for complete 8/7 years? Any scholarships for UG?

UG BME at SBU is full ride. Dont know med but in-state. Cost wise nothing can beat.

But half her school is in SBU or RPI etc. and she doesnt want to go there. My son went through same issue in CS but MD was not part so not as difficult decision.

She will be unhappy if goes to SBU - even doesnt want to go to JHU. She loves Columbia ( has been going for past 2/3 years for SHP program that top tristate folks would know). Lets see what next few days show. I even love Harvey Mudd. Not sure if she clears Caltech waitlist as they say 1-30 move.

@sam2024- Let him go to Harvard- Forget BSMD.

If D clears Caltech, she goes there. Not predicting about IVYs till she has something in pocket but if she gets Harvard, she is done.

Harvard does not have merit scholarship it is all need based.

You may want to check if Columbia offers any merit

Also confirm how the major grade deflation vs inflation works there

Highest Paying Bachelor’s Degrees

$162,500—

Harvey Mudd College

$158,100—

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

$152,600—

United States Naval Academy

$150,500—

Princeton University

$150,300—

California Institute of Technology

Which are important factors for you for your kids college admission?

MD PHD

Or MD

And fellowship from T5 speciality programs

There is no published ranking for Md/Phd by USNW. Here is an article with some tips for choosing a MD/PhD program.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/slideshows/10-ways-to-identify-the-right-md-phd-program

• Ample funding
  • Desirable location
  • Balance between clinics and research
  • Expertise in a specific discipline
  • Academic breadth
  • Early clinical training
  • Multiple potential mentors
  • Satisfied students
  • Successful alumni
  • A culture that fits

---- deleted

3 Likes

From the colleges you applied, do I read correctly the following?

You have an EAP admission to Colgate/ Rochester Medical?
And you are waiting for ANC and Upstate?

Yes-- just regular pre-med

I would wait to see how AMC and Upstate pan out.

@PPofEngrDr Thanks for the information. Appreciate it!
Am i reading the chart correctly? Only 4% of the students graduation from UG got into Med School?

Thanks

D has a free ride for SBU UG but D does not want to take it as per his posts.

1 Like

Only a small percentage of premeds at ivies end up at top 20 med schools. I’ve seen on the website that SUNY Upstate class of 2024 has students from Duke, Princeton, Cornell, and UPenn. IMO, if you go to the an ivy only to end up at a state med school, that’s a downgrade. You could end up at SUNY Upstate from a state UG as well.

2 Likes

@grtd2010

I am clear- SBU-MD if you consider cost. I find IVYs marketing hype.

I totally agree with you.

The issue is how to convince D who sees the world in a different way. She does not want to take even JHU ride.

I went through same with son but that was only 4 yrs of CS- Free ride vs. pay.

And thats the reason am trying to see if some student doing this program can convince her- parents are blah blha for her. One doc parents whose D goes to UPENN med school and did UG at UPENN tried to convince me that UPENN UG was worth it ( they both are docs one surgeon so guess tonnes of $$$) - According to mom, they let full ride at UMich Med school go tor UPENN med school and they are happy with decision.

Think there is no universal answer and everyone looks at world through their prism- like religion, politics and nowadays nutrition ( Keto, Vegan, LCHF, HCLF, Atkins, Mediterranean etc.).

It is 4% of who are studying after UG, i.e. excludes UG graduates went to FT employment, volunteer work etc. Few facts, UIUC is very broad majors flagship public school, like any other public school. Almost 42% goes to full time employment. UIUC is not recommended for pre-med track over other flagship UIC.

Also this report https://www.aamc.org/media/9636/download may help to find out colleges that supplies more than 50 applicants for medical schools.

---- deleted

Sometimes you win by loosing the battle.

1 Like