Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I couldn’t find an appropriate forum to ask this question, but does anyone know how to send a recommendation to a university after being waitlisted? Would Naviance work, or should my recommender just send their letter directly to the college?

Sorry if I was not clear!
EAP with Colgate: She has to apply towards the end of Freshman year to get accepted to any of the 3 that Colgate has EAP with. We have to talk to the PD on how this works. Just got acceptance 2 days back
Upstate - BS/MD doors closed (acceptance to UG’s for upstate are Syracuse, UAlbany and ACPHS)
Sophie Davis - Wait Listed
Union/AMC - waiting for decision

In my case letters are submitted into naviance and then my school sends the to the school per request

Yes, Please do what suits you and be happy.

1 Like

When posting in the results thread, can we also post overall tuition (approximate) for one’s selected program ? This will give current( and future) students an idea on how much each costs (irrespective of one’s financial status.

3 Likes

Where did your son end up with his UG? What is he doing now?

Send to admission email-If possible ask recommender to make it college specific.

1 Like

His S is at UT-Austin CS and starting an internship at Tesla, Freemont, CA in May. It is all in his posts.

1 Like

Sorry, I have been only active since last week.

Ranking for MD PHD programs are same as Med school ranking some cases if they partner with MIT or Caltech and CMU becomes icing on the cake

Wow, that’s a lot of doctors that you know!

Here is a sample of few fancy brand name students going to med schools in recent past that I happened to know

MIT → NJMS (quit after a year, may be due to the disappointment)

Cornell → NYMC (not to be confused with NYU)

Cornell → UCF (another student)

JHU → Drexel (after a gap year)

Yale → Case Western

Harvard → UPenn (after couple of gap years)

May have forgotten couple of similar instances.

1 Like

These are stories of laggers but do you know what percentage are like these ??

Quantification of data is important.

Anything can happen when kids adjust with undergrad life …

What about the same students not able to maintain GPA and scores in BS MD programs with similar situation ?? UPitt GAp science gpa requirements are 3.75 along with this getting A on all science courses needs discipline for any student if interest in major like nuerosicences

You are correct assuming the same student gets into the same specialization regardless of whether s/he goes to a very good school or a no-name school. On the other hand if the same student can land a better specialization (say that pays $200K more after fellowship per annum on average) by going to a very good school, they can financially be much better off going to the better school. The cost of capital is not very high and if you use reasonable assumptions the incremental investment for the better school can earn a >>15% IRR. Even with very conservative assumptions a greater than 10% IRR seems easy (based on my calculations) to fathom. 10% would be a nice financial return plus there may be clear psychological value for some in attending a better school etc. Look forward to learning what I may be missing with the discussions around too much investment for good schools.

1 Like

It’s both close friends and extended network of friends. Two are family members. We know another half dozen but decided to stop asking given the overwhelming view. In terms of stats beyond these conversations, I’ve looked at enough to support either decision. Personal advice from those that we know well and know our kid well to me is most valuable.

The only two MDs who said take Ivy UG instead of dual provided two primary reasons. First, if a student wants to do anything academically related to medicine, the name of med school is very important (if the ultimate goal is private practice, take dual and don’t look back). Second, they said given our kid’s scores there should be no worries about MCAT. All others had a very different view and listed numerous reasons.

2 Likes

The word academic medicine is misleading that you will work in academic medicine

For speciality matching you have to be in funded setup which translates to ranking

What gave us comfort is that nearly all MDs we spoke to are in specialty areas and majority are surgeons. In addition several take in residents and a couple are directly involved with selection process. Just wanted to share their feedback.

joining private practice for first job trend is going away but if you have family or known plans then it makes sense

Quantification of data from a personal perspective is impossible because small set of data points any one can have.

Quantification of data at institutional level is not dependable since they manipulate the data.

I agree and it makes sense

Deleted