Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Any one heard from BU after holidays ?

@NoviceDad thanks for your interview tips will pass it on to my S he has BU interview on Jan 25th…

@BSMD20233 …how do you know Florida Programs are now in-state ONLY ???

@JBourne5,

BU will reopen full fledged after MLK day on 21st. Though a possibility, I doubt if you will hear anything before that.

Any idea when Drexel will send out interview invites?

@ADMission18 - Some (mid tier) schools do pay attention to demonstrated interest. Doing ED/EA is the most valued demonstrated interest :slight_smile:

Regarding demonstrated interest,

Yes, for BS/MD programs it may not matter much (deliberately avoiding any assertions). However for some undergrad programs they may. So if you end up in a situation where they may have to pick and choose one candidate out of the 3 or 4 equally credentialed students, prior college visit may tip the scale in your favor.
Besides, college visits are not only for boosting your chances. They help you assess whether the student finds the environment and the vibes on campus congenial to spend the next 3-8 years there. Also if you were to choose from among multiple acceptances, prior visits and insights gained during them can help you come to a decision quickly. You get a chance to meet and greet the admissions staff, who we found out to be very pleasing, informative, respectful and helpful most of the times. May get a chance to check out that lab or this library and housing facilities, have a word or two with current students there or may be even with faculty and may be even able to attend some on going classes if you plan well in advance. So I recommend visiting colleges, it can only help and not hurt. As long as it is not inconvenient or financially burdensome. D and I went on college visits starting from sophomore year and may have visited 10-12 campuses.

Check out section C7 of the latest common data set of Northwestern where they mentioned Level of applicant’s interest as being “Considered”

https://enrollment.northwestern.edu/pdf/common-data/2017-18.pdf

Does anyone know what MMI interview format for VCU is like?

@gallentjill, Reg Drexel. If you are selected for an interview, it will be held between mid-February and early March on the College of Medicine’s campus. Final decisions for the BA/BS+MD program will be sent by the College of Medicine via U.S. Postal Service mail at the end of March and posted to your Discover Drexel portal by April 1.

@NoviceDad@rk2017…@GoldenStateDad…@srk2017…and other experienced people in this group…
Reg: Brown PLME…my S got an interview invite for an Alum interview, the Alum is also a physician who went through Brown PLME Program.
Wanted to know how important this interview will be and any specific tips?

Thanks in advance…

@sajju786

It’s probably a coincidence that your son interviewer from Brown is also PLME Alum. Based on my experience (My DS did Brown, Rochester, Harvard, Rice alum interviews), the interviewer will be picked based on the location and availability. They will not even have your son’s profile/grades/resume and may not even know that he applied to PLME.
I think I shared earlier that these interviews are more of a conversation and the school is trying to see if your DS can have a meaningful conversation with an adult for 40-60min. It’s also an opportunity for your son to ask about Brown/PLME and learn (they are using these interviews to sell their schools as well). So, it’s a win-win situation. Definitely, he should attend. Ask him to be relaxed and be prepared to talk about Why Brown, why PLME etc. and more importantly have questions to ask the interviewer.

Thanks @GoldenStateDad :)>-

@GoldenStateDad…My S is also going to have an Alum interview with Harvard and had to fill out a pre-interview form which required him to fill out all his profile, scores, activities and resume…Just an FYI

@sajju786 any alum interview is all about people’s skills and how good candidate is able to carry conversation on various topics, on the fly, not just academia.
Be confident and don’t be shy ask any questions to alum for their experience or change subject and demonstrate able to guide a conversation. Believe street smart kids do much better on this than just academia smart, other may differ on this.

Thanks @PPofEngrDr…appreciate your help and advice…

@sajju786 Harvard did u request the alum interview or they gave you one??? Thx

@hoop897… they contacted us for an Alum Interview…we did not request an interview…

Thx @sajju786

Hello, anyone got NJMS interview invites through NJIT/NJMS?

Folks,
This is an open forum where everyone can share their own perspectives which you may or may not like/agree. Why lose peace of mind over such comments? Can we all agree, or agree-2-disagree and move on? Remember- there is no ABSOLUTE right or wrong way and no one is absolutely correct or incorrect. Everything is subjective.

One sincere request - please be respectful to each other. I am not sure what example we, especially adults, are setting here. I wonder who is more matured :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Most of the kids/parents are going through a stressful time. Help if you can please, but, do not cause more stress.