Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Does anyone know when Drexel would be out?

BU calls 80 over 4 days but the typical response when one calls them is that they would call till the end of Feb. This is to keep their options open to invite additional students if they do not get enough from their initial 80 (withdraw/absent from the interview, do not get enough good-fits etc). So, it is possible that they might have more than 4, but it’s not guaranteed.

Similarly, AMC calls their top choices in first 4 or 6 interview days and tries to fill certain # of students from each feeder school. If they like someone strong, they confirm immediately, if they are clearly not a good fit, they reject, and others they keep “under consideration” mode while they call additional students for the interview.

The difference between AMC and BU is that AMC decisions come out on a rolling basis starting mid-Feb, and BU on one day (mid-march).

Regarding midterm grades, unless otherwise stated (like NU), most of the schools do require midterm grades. Even schools that do not require midterm grades expect the student to maintain good grades through the end of senior year.
I know a student who was asked to provide a written explanation for a C that he received in the senior year.

@GoldenStateDad , How do you like BU and UAB after visiting them?

@atlbsmd I know BU quite well. The facilities are amazing and the quality of dorm is as would be expected. The campus is large – essentially the Boston city – which does alienate some students. Faculty and students are nice (as is the norm in boston ; ) ) and overall, the resources provided by the nearby MGH, BWH, Lahey, Mass Eye and Ear, BMC, MIT, Harvard, Whitehead, Broad, Children’s etc… provide an unmatched array of opportunities.

@Cherax …agree with you regarding BU…we visited the campus in Summer and my S and I fell in love with BU and Boston City.
And BU was our first choice in BS/MD programs and it was my S first interview invite and we gave it on Jan 25th and we were even more amazed to learn that BU and NU both started BS/MD 7yrs program together.
Also the interview day was very well organized and admin staff there to help answer all your questions.
They will announce candidates finalist mid March and have BS/MD welcome student day Friday April 5th. ??

@OVOGang …congrats reg FAU…when is your interview date and do you know the pattern of interview 1:1 or MMI…

@OVOGang, Congrats, was the notification for FAU by email ? Do you know how many candidates get interviewed ?

@medgirl6 BU SMED admission decisions are out on the portal on the same day as the general admission day. This is typically 3rd Saturday of March.

Thanks @bsmd1826 …so that means BU SMED out on Saturday March 16th…yes looking forward fot that day…do you know what time…Thanks

@sajju786,

I would say first thing in the morning on the 3rd saturday. I still remember from 2 years ago, D screaming in joy around 9 ish (ET) as soon as she got up and checked the portal :-). She is otherwise quite composed, the only 2 other times of such reaction were on checking ACT results in junior and SAT subject chemistry test score in sophomore years :-). Now a days she doesn’t react to anything anymore.

Thanks …@rk2017…will check in morning on March 16th…Lol reg kids when they grow up they become quite… :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what the format of the interview with AMC is? Is there a group interview or one on one?

Yes, kids love BU for some reason, something in the air I guess, pretty pricey for parents though :slight_smile:

@rk2017 Hope you can see those joyful moments again after getting MCAT, STEP 1,2 and on match day.

@sajju786 Last year the BU portal was update by 4:30AM PST on 17th March, I was woken up by my screaming D with the magic words “I got in”…

When do Drexel and UPitt send out interview notifications?

Thanks…@bsmd1826…it will be 6.30am CST Chicago time…

@DSOF20192023,

Thanks! Probably not because she won’t be living with us during those moments and secondly she was matured for her age even as kid (and one of the youngest in her class), she had numerous occasions of distinction and celebrations in school, such as getting all 5s in APs even in the toughest to get in Bio, perfect scores in subject tests, presidential awards for volunteering, getting elected to the executive committee on NHS … never exhibited such elation. Only expect her to gain more maturity and wisdom with age.

@bsmd1826,

Thanks for confirming that nothing abnormal with my D :-).
It appears pretty much a standard SMED reaction after all. Also the one that explains 80+% enrollment rate of the accepted students into the program .

@GoldenStateDad…Basically Boston is a big college city with many great universities and minds in one place…Also lots of things to do in Boston apart from studies…yes pricey for parents…hopefully some of us get their $20K scholarship given to 3% admitted students and to NMF…and hopefully Trustees Scholarship( Full Tuition no Room and Board) to 1-2 BSMD candidate…

My only complaint about BU is it’s not a contiguous campus. Let’s see if my son will again apply thru traditional path next year :slight_smile: