Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@MaMaTEN
As @PPofEngrDr mentioned, ORM = Over Represented Minority/in Medicine.

Thank you @PPofEngrDr

Regarding UAB, great suggestions from @elizabeth67809
@coolguy456 - In Dā€™s case, she did not get to interview stage even with decent statistics (4.0 uw, 35.25 act, nmsf, 800, 770 subjects) and having a student from her school currently in EMSAP (OOS); so, just stats are not sufficient. Appreciate you for being pro-active

has anyone else not heard back from boston? Iā€™m assuming I didnā€™t get an interview but Iā€™m not sure

also when are we supposed to hear back from umiami or washu

@NoviceDad @PPofEngrDr ā€¦ Caucasian White Male. So neither I guess. But at all interviews we have seemed like a minority in the pool of interviewees, numbers wise.

@NoviceDad Did you ask about ORM because we didnā€™t get an NJIT interview? Just curious.

@RiceBits Thanks!

@MaMaTEN
I was curious since you got a call from SBU/GW.

@MaMaTEN , yes for BSMD caucacian whute male should be URM :slight_smile: I went to 2 interviews with my DS 3017) and saw only one or two caucasians! My guess is mostly asians are willing to spend more than half million dollars in order to avoid traditional path despite having stellar stats and lower rankings for most prograns that offer BSMD.

agreed completely @srk2017

For BSMD admissions, any race except Chinese or Indian should be considered URM :wink: .

On the interview trail, I donā€™t recall seeing any African-Americans or Hispanics while only seeing maybe 1 or 2 Caucasians.

A primary reason for this could be the fact that Asians are more willing to take the guaranteed path since Asians have a much harder go-around in traditional medical school admissions- Iā€™ve seen more than a few Chinese friends with a 33+ MCAT and 3.8~3.9 GPA not get into a single top-20 medical school.

@GreenPoison, @srk2017

Another reason I can think of Asians in particular (or anyone for that matter) preferring the direct route could be, you donā€™t have to run an Ironman triathlon. A simple Marathon may suffice :-).

With all the uncertainties and stress associated with the traditional route, staying on top of so many things just to get into a med school, including taking gap years, and then starting all over with a strict regimen again for USMLE, research and all that.

Some may argue that the momentum from the first Marathon will continue to help in the second. While possible, chances are it could also lead to a burnout and top students in the undergrad may end up not doing so spectacular in med school ā€¦

Also the half a million cost being quoted here doesnā€™t account for what ~300 k, give or take, that one has to spend anyway in med school direct route or traditional (unless you get into NYUā€™s, or TX schools, and what are the odds?). So the difference is a matter of ~200 k. Also donā€™t go crazy after med school rankings (especially usnews). As I mentioned recently about a Cornell undergrad going to UCF med school and getting into dermatology residency.

Also the same premise as undergrad applicable to your med school, the higher the reputation, the more difficult for one to stand out in a highly distinguished bunch of fellow med students.

Some of the students I know who went to Robert Wood Johnson (rated lowly on usnews rankings) have gone to and currently doing or finishing residencies at Harvard, Yale and UPenn in areas like internal medicine (very likely to be followed with cardio fellowship), Ophthalmology, Hematology/oncology and interventional radiology ā€¦

By the way all these were from traditional route. So donā€™t feel bad if you have to take that route. My intent above was just to layout differences in the paths and approaches. If you have the motivation and stamina, you will succeed whichever path you take. But my advice is to follow your heart in what area to choose to work in for rest of your careers and not be driven by business mind set. Be doctors, not business men!

@rk2017 that is exactly I was telling my son today driving in car todayā€¦ that no matter what BS/MD school he gets into all of them will make him an excellent physician and will get excellent residencies depending upon how you do in your medical school and undergradā€¦

I think my post is buried with many active members here. Let me ask again to specific members againā€“till I get a knack of this forum. @NoviceDad @sajju786 @rk2017 @GreenPoison , please respond!

Iā€™m a parent of prospective BS/BAMD applicant. Didnā€™t know about this forum, wow what a wealth of info! My son has applied and got RPI/AMC, HPME, GWU, UMKC, Cincinnati interviews so far. How would any experienced parents here rank RPI/AMC vs UMKC vs. Cincinnati? HPME and GWU seems like really tough competition so assuming those must be good programs. Any input is much appreciated.

@bsmdbamd,

Some quick notes. You should be fine with any of the 3 schools. UMKC, you may or may not quaify for a lowered fee structure, based on whether you are instate or regional. But personally I feel 6 years is rushing it and we didnā€™t apply there couple of years ago for that reason.

Cincinnati is probably most reputed of the 3, but seems to have heavy preference for in state students in selections.

AMC is a good well established school, RPI is known to be grade deflated for undergrad though. But will prepare well for med school portion. (AMC is unranked by usnews, but that shouldnā€™t bother you or anyone). Was surprised that they are a little bit on the lower end of research funding though (if you can find the NIH link I forwarded in this group a week or so ago and search by state or institution).

I think one of the senior memberā€™s son is in the RPI/AMC program (@upstream). You can private message him and find out more. (You may have to cross a count of 15 or so posts here first before that option is enabled for you, instructions also shared by me in the recent past).

@bsmdbamdā€¦@NoviceDad, @rk2017, @GreenPoison, @srk2017 and @PPofEngrDr are the parents who have gone through this BS/MD process couple times and will give you more infoā€¦

This is my first year with my S and next year will be with my daughterā€¦it sure is a roller coaster rideā€¦

HPME is by far #1 ( As NU is ranked at 10 for undergrad and Fienberg SOM is ranked around 21-22)
RPI/AMC and GWU would be #2
UMKC and Cincinnati probably #3

Again this is all arbitrary as getting into any of these excellent BS/MD programs is tough and all schools in USA provide pretty much similar education especially these all prestigious BS/MD programs.

@rk2017 @sajju786 thank you so much! Iā€™ll private message @upstream once I cross the number of posts. It sure is a roller coaster ride!

I love the acronyms ORM, URM! what does DS , DD mean? Trying to learn the lingo here :slight_smile:

@rk2017 would RPI/AMC grade deflation affect required GPA? Do they have minimum GPA requirement to matriculate to med school? thanks!

@bsmdbamd,

I believe it is a 3.5 GPA one has to maintain. But never mind, my D goes to an even more grade deflated program for undergrad and is close to a 4.0. I think @upstream 's son also has had > 3.9 even as he was competing in university wide sports.

By the way DD=Dear Daughter and like wise DS. FYI, I never used the first D, thought it was silly :slight_smile: