Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

A friend who is regeneron finalist from my school with impressive stats did not get these interviews and m wondering what is that they looking for .

Forget the stats just put your best foot out there.

@bsmdadmit
Do you know if all the interviews done at Union/AMC , since they are already sending results?

@Mahikesh Do you know when results from Temple interview get released? Will it be on rolling basis or one shot result?

@CurleyFries - At the interview day, it was mentioned that they exoect to get results out by St Patrick’s Day.

@CurleyFries results will be announced third week of March and it is going to be one shot as far as I know…

@diaash - am planning to post on results thread once we have all the results. Would like to minimize double/triple/etc. posting if possible. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what they’re looking for besides the obvious - high ACT/SAT, high GPA, volunteer experiences (ideally healthcare related but dies t have to be), shadowing experience, research experience would be nice, etc. Having said that, why one gets an interview to one program and not another (not necessarily predicted by tiers/rankings) is unknown to me. I would have to guess it may be due to location (in-state vs out-of-state), clinical vs research slant of program, ethnicity (not sure about this?), whether application/essays clicked with person reviewing the application, etc. Thus, like @MWapplicant stated above, do the best that you can on the obvious stuff, give it a shot, and keep your fingers crossed. Best of luck to you! Once all the results are in, by early April, I think the Results Thread would be helpful to you. But like me, I think others are waiting to post until all results are in.

Thank you @OldSchoolMD and @Mahikesh !!

has NU finished giving interviews?

@golfgirl01

Congratulations!!!

Look at my posts #3519 and #3628

All the very best.

@OldSchoolMD
WashU’s BS/MD intake is 4 students.

The requirements are steep and students do not have a life there. Most of them are encouraged to apply outside.

Congratulations
@Arnkim

WashU

All who have gotten interview invites - make sure you speak to current BS/MD students and get their non-politically correct opinion of the program.

@smltwnD I’m pretty sure Union/AMC interviews are not done yet, since a couple weeks ago I saw someone post here that they had an interview at the end of February, with options for interview dates in the first week of March. I’d think that the first week of March should be the last interview dates

Thank you @zsxBSMD2019

@medgirl6 - according to NU’s email, they will be offering interviews on a rolling basis until the end of February.

Does anyone know if Union/Albany interview invites are still going on-thanks

@Krupa2019 we have an interview scheduled on 2/25 for Union/Albany and we were given option for March first week also.

@diaash, @OldSchoolMD,

There could be a timing issue. When is the Regeneron finalist status revealed? Before you file the applications for these aforementioned programs or after? If after, did your friend promptly inform them of the new development (in the midst of all this super busy admissions activity)? for them to take it into consideration. I remember someone posting here that they were going to have their research published by summer this year. Too bad, it won’t count significantly even if it is mentioned in the application. Nevertheless, all these are feathers in your caps, which will definitely help if you choose to go traditional route and also in getting into more research opportunities in future.

All the 4 institutions mentioned above in your post are private, so don’t think Instate or oos matter to them. However there could be changing policies year over year due to variety of factors such as increase or decrease in intake numbers, shift in policies due to changes in influential positions in the admissions committees, changes affected by the tracking and feedback of performances of incoming students over a period of time, changes in philosophy of the program etc. For BU it seems there has been a deemphasis on research importance (at high school level) lately due to one of the above mentioned reasons.

I certainly hope more folks will share their stats at the conclusion of the cycle so we may all have a better picture of what may be the priorities of different programs.

@medgirl6 I feel
They will be done by Friday but most definitely by next Friday.

They may be a little behind because keep in mind that NU shut down for a few days because of the weather.