Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@PPofEngrDr UCs instate is cheaper than UIC, IL is really messed up LOL

@PPofEngrDr

Thx. Do you or your child attend slu? Others in this board attending slu medscholars?

Also Iā€™ve heard that several students who despite meeting academic and mcat criteria werenā€™t accepted to the medschool. Lot of negativity on message boards around this program. Not sure why.

Net net: If this is the best we can do for BSMD would folks recommend attending slu over top a 20 ranked traditional UG program?

Hi All,

In light of the results starting to come up with people tending to give advice on which program is worth it and which one is not, Cost of Attendance (COA) and so on ā€¦ thought of sharing this post from last year which I thought made a lot of sense.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21435794/#Comment_21435794

@gallentjill, congrats and all the best. Thanks for posting in the results thread.

@sunitacarmen My son joined NU UG and let go SLU Med scholarā€¦

well that is a news for me too, didnā€™t hear that b4.SLU med scholar with presidential scholarship is certainly worth to explore.

I had addressed this b4 as well and was precisely my son situation.
[ul]
[] If one is smart enough to achieve 3.65 GPA, then why one wants to tied with one SOM (remember with SLU if one decide to apply to other SOMs, letā€™s say because one has 3.9 GPA and MCAT 515+, oneā€™s SLU SOM seat is forfeited and become traditional route candidate).
[
] If one is not smart enough to achieve 3.65 GPA, one maynā€™t be a smart enough to be a Dr, then one ended up to SLU UG anyhow, If this is the case and if one is an OOS student, with hefty price tag, how much that UG would be worth? Or may be instate and cost of UG is not insurmountable and one can live with it.
[li] Now if one has a UG offer with full ride and closure to home that gives one more financial assurance with guaranteed challenged academics, due to rigor as well as pressure to maintain that GPA and be relevant. [/li][/ul]
So personal factors certainly plays the role.

@srk2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker SOM) has cost 82K for MS1. So its pretty much same as UIC GPPA, not sure what you are eluding to when stated ā€œUCs instate is cheaper than UIC, ILā€

@PPofEngrDr,

Guess the ā€œCā€ referred here = California, not Chicago ā€¦ such as UCLA, UCSF, UCSD ā€¦ no point comparing one state with other and talking disparagingly though. By the same token Michigan has high tuition rates both for In state and oos (prohibitively high for oos actually, I think on purpose), but both UMich and Michigan State have excellent med schools.

@rk2017 lot its not Friday yet. Why would @srk2017 then compare UCs OOS to UIC Instate for @sajju786? Also one of you should put a personal request to CC to change your IDs or alias or something, it still throws me off even after a year. :)) :))

@PPofEngrDr, @rk2017 is correct, I am referring to California public universities not Chicago. our public universities are ranked higher and we have higher cost of living so Illinois is messed up to have tuition that high :slight_smile:

Itā€™s CCā€™s fault to allow IDs that close :wink:

Got in mail SLU - Medical Scholars Program admissionā€¦

@srk2017 ā€¦yes instate UIC-COM around 46K vs OOS 90K

@srk2017 thanks for reminding that IL state has screwed up budget that spills over in public education affordability.

letā€™s leave ranking part for Friday. :)>- :)>-

Congratulations to everyone who got into some bsmd program. Good Luck !

We got SLU too with full ride UG presidential tuitionā€¦enticing possibility so as long as the overall program is good. Their medschool is pretty decent, ranked 51 in primary care and 70 in research. Residency placement seems very good as well. Iā€™m told maintaining a 3.65 gpa isnā€™t impossible in UG. It appears that there is no mcat requirement either to be accepted to medschool as those decisions are made end of sophomore year. Those are the pros. What about the cons?

At this point trying to ascertain their conversion rates from UG to medschool given that this isnā€™t a guaranteed program. What do the erudite folks here think?

Has anyone received interviews at Temple medschool yet from the W&J/temple medscholars program? We received notification from W&J that post the w&j interview, they had forwarded our app to temple medschool but no word from temple medschool yet for the on-site interviewā€¦

@sunitacarmen and all premeds

Imho accepting SLU with a full ride is a no brainer. Even if you get into a ā€œtopā€ 20 school. I strongly urge all premeds to consider such school as SLU where you will be almost guaranteed to get mostly Aā€™s with consistent effort. Most universities do not give our more than 20 percent Aā€™s. As an Asian premed, one want to maintain 3.75 average, which is the average of successful Asian premeds.
I have seen too many cases where many students regretting to choose attend high rank schools. Of course if are one of top students from a rigors high school as TJH, IMSA, Hunter or Stuy, you can attend any school as a premed. But most students should think about your competition. For an example, a UChicago graduate inform me that about 1/3 of premeds drop out by end of the first year at UChicago.
Good luck everyone!

Sorry about many typosā€¦I am new to typing on my phone!

@sunitacarmen Could you please confirm when you got notification about the SLU Medical scholar program and Presidential scholarship. My D is also waiting to hear from SLU and W&J/Temple

@upstream Thereā€™s that old adageā€¦ 72% start premed 27% end premed. But the statistic, although ballpark, neglects to account for all the ā€˜ideal premedsā€™ who in reality know little about medicine/science and are simply entering premed for the glamour/credibility of the field. Thatā€™s why most premeds drop out ā€“ they realize that medicine isnā€™t what they thought it was. I feel fairly confident that few BS/MD-caliber students would handle well the rigors of a premed track no matter where they go, although yes, I agree that it is wise to strongly consider a less competitive undergrad.

Interesting to consider as well ā€“ the majority of premeds take a gap year before entering med school. By entering a BS/MD program, youā€™re already entering med school directly after your undergrad, quite ahead of the pack. Just a tidbit.

@anxmom18

Yesterday in US mail.