Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Got into Siena/AMC but will be giving up the spot

@ahling

I donā€™t see the amazing person you are referring to, all i see on that page is banned users with very high number of posts. That is brutal.

@honeyduke31 @CaDad2019 - thank you. Congratulations everyone on acceptance to Hofstra!

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted into Hofstra!
Does anyone have information on additional admissions decisions that are expected to be made available this week?

Congratulations to all who got Hofstra and REMS Acceptances!

[{ā€œinsertā€:"Congratulations on REMS acceptances!
"}]

[QUOTE=""]
somewhat older people, people coming from other careers, etc. They made a point of telling us this at D's interview. My sense is that many of the non-trad students are more geared towards primary care and that also influences their match results.

[/QUOTE]

@gallentjill,

At the risk of may be quoting you out of context, not sure how much bearing the above has had on their match results. But I happened to quickly check the latest and they (AMC) seem to have a very decent match results (44% for primary care including Ob/Gyn). Compare that to Brownā€™s 48% or so :-). for a similarly sized (and smaller) class.

Anyways as I said what I feel about it, people have to follow their hearts in deciding what area they want to pursue as a career after getting a formal medical education and exposure, nothing wrong if a particular program has more primary care matches as long as it aligns well with oneā€™s goals of becoming a good physician of the future.

Congratulations to everyone who has earned acceptances so far! For the rest of you, hang in there - many schools still havenā€™t released decisions yet!

@ahling I would be happy to discuss with you over PM. Iā€™m also happy to answer anyone else that has questions about Hofstra.
@PPofEngrDr Iā€™d like to think of myself as pretty amazingā€¦

@rk2017 No argument from me. I am repeating what I have heard from asking around, here and other places. Everyone should do their own research. Iā€™m not trying to make any recommendations. Obviously, these are all great programs and great opportunities.

anyone participating here got REMS? I didnā€™t see any posts.

@8thgradekid yes, that is true.

@ad2019

HPME is expected this week.

[{ā€œinsertā€:"@TheAmazing777\u00a0Please PM me, I would like to discuss more. Since Iā€™m new to CC I have not yet met the required post limit to be able to start a PM.
"}]

[{ā€œinsertā€:{ā€œmentionā€:{ā€œnameā€:ā€œbearsfan21ā€,ā€œuserIDā€:100678913}}},{ā€œinsertā€:" The two bs/md interviews my D has gone to stress not just GPA but people skills too.
"}]

If anyone is considering UAlbany / SUNY Upstate Medical can you PM me?

@sajju786
You are welcome

@bsmdalien @medadmin2019

Re: Hofstra vs UConn vs AMC

I would evaluate the following factors:

YOUR FEEL for the college - very important, if not the most important:
Note: All these colleges are in the same broad geographic area - about < 3 hours from each other.
PLEASE visit the admitted student days, if you can and get the feel of the college.
If you ā€œhateā€ an environment or something else, it will eat you like a bug - slowly but surely - and it would be better to avoid that environment.

RESIDENCY MATCHES:
Having said, residency match wise, AMC and Hofstra have very similar primary care residency match ratios (41% and 44% respectively). Primary care defined as pediatrics, internal medicine and family medicine. UConn has about 49% and is slightly higher.
Of the three, AMC has the highest percent joining Family Medicine and Hofstra the lowest.

So, looking from this lens, Hofstra or AMC MEDICAL SCHOOLS seem better than UConn.
Hofstra is a newer school with a different teaching approach and support of 22 hospital Northwell system.

UNDERGRAD REQUIREMENTS - GPA / MCAT:
Be prepared for those in whichever college you choose.

QUALITY OF UNDERGRAD:
Now, you need to get a feel for the quality of undergrad.
Here, RPI is better than UConn which is better than Hofstra. See my earlier posts on Hofstra and its undergrad. In short, we love the medical school but not the undergrad.

COSTS:
You need to evaluate that, factoring all scholarships / instate fees.

GEOGRAPHY:
Albany vs Long Island (i.e. NYC) vs Farmington (Outskirts of Hartford) - your personal preference for location.
To me personally, NYC seems better than others. But it is not me who is going to be there - it is you or your kids.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations to all who have received acceptances

@srk2017 waitlisted at REMSā€¦ :confused: hopefully it works outā€¦

@NoviceDad,

An observation, AMC match results (for 2019), included Ob/Gyn under primary care category in the statistics they provided. If one wants to do the comparison without Ob/Gyn, you need to subtract that number and recalculate the %. I would guess something like 42% maybe. (I didnā€™t look at previous years though)

Also as someone pointed out earlier, RPI is a great place for undergrad with a rigorous academic and research exposure, but tough in grading.

Another general observation, generally the schools where the class sizes are smaller tend to have lower primary care match results and the bigger class sizes correspond to higher rates. So when comparing 2 schools of different class sizes in a given year, the school with a bigger size and having similar match results can be considered at an advantage.

As an example, as mentioned by me earlier, for a given school the match rates went up year over year when the class size grew (BUā€™s primary care match went up by 10% i.e. 33% vs 30% from prior year with the class size increase of around 25%)