Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Decisions: all thoughts and advice welcome.

University Albany Undergrad / Upstate Medical School 3+4 or 4+4, no MCATS, 3.5 GPA - COA: $19K year undergrad. 3 hours from home.

Small private liberal arts college upstate NY, Full academic Merit tuition, play Division 2 soccer. COA: live at home free or $12K R&B. Apply traditional route.

While we know little about the University of Albany, the student would prefer the private liberal arts college and playing Varsity sport close to home for undergrad if all things were equalā€¦ but the gift of an Upstate Medical School acceptanceā€¦

I canā€™t edit my post, needed to add: The private, local undergrad - does feed into LECOM acceptance, 3+4, 4+4, no MCATS.

With the desire for international service medicine - have been advised to go M.D. vs. D.O. Interest in Emergency Medicine, Anesthesia, Pediatric specialties.

@rk2017
I did reduce the % for AMC - 41% for primary care.

Thanks @NoviceDad

@NoviceDad,

OIC :slight_smile: it was all confusing with all these close figures. I do see you mentioned AMC first in the order with 41% with the adjustment (on their website they mentioned 44% which is coincidentally the same as Hofstraā€™s)

By the way just to make it clear, I am just making some observations, not recommendations on which is better. It is a subjective individual/family decision that one has to reach taking all these factors into due consideration.

@MaMaTEN Checked these web sites. It appears the UofA and Upstate is EAP and not guaranteed BS/MD.
Need to be very cautious with LECOM. Only this week heard some bad story from a student/parents with their experience (may be isolated). But looking at their affiliated list below, it is hard to comprehend. It is a 5 page and close to 150 colleges with EAP. Random college I checked it says 5+5 students admitted. Even if you keep 2 or 3 from each of the college, that itself close to 300+ students. It is confusing and feel marketing ploy.

If the student likes the liberal arts college and can study from home - consider seriously. As long as he is focused, can open better choices later.

https://www.albany.edu/advisement/earlyassuranceamcmd.shtml

https://lecom.edu/content/uploads/2018/10/active-affiliates-1-16-19.pdf

@GoldenRock @NoviceDad

Do you know which bs md programs have high attrition rates?

good luck to all the CWRU PPSP finalists today!!!

@GoldenRock
The website you linked to is for Albany meds program, which is completely different from upstates program, which is a combined program.

@MaMaTEN
Iā€™m considering the program, canā€™t PM you cause Iā€™m not active enough to have the option available

@Stressed0ut01 My bad. Thanks for the catch. Just looked at the update info also. If some one interested in this go for it. Especially for NY residents it will ease your wallet also as IS.

https://www.albany.edu/advisement/guaranteed-entrance-to-upstate-college-of-medicine.shtml

This program is very restrictive on what major you can do, though MCAT is waived and GPA is not that high but must get at least B for pre-req courses.

Interesting choice of majors ā€œThis program is for high school seniors who will major in Spanish, Chinese, or engineering at UAlbanyā€

@GoldenRock, can you tell me what EAP stands for?

@GoldenRock and @novicedad or anyone else that has information, please share if you know programs that have high attrition rates. Also, @GoldenRock when you say UofA, which school are you referring to?

@positivelybsmd Early Assurance Program. Typically after a student joins some UG, that school will have some program with their medical school or some other medical school to get admission.

U of Albany (which is different from AMC).

Normally I donā€™t look at attrition rate for a true BS/MD program because the number of admitted students itself any where from 5 to 25-30. So the % is misleading. Again I donā€™t call SLU a BS/MD program which claims 150 students (to me it is a EAP).

Obviously, no program is going to release attrition rates since they donā€™t want to look bad.

The only real way for someone to find out is either to ask current kids in the program, or ask around during the interview day.

Out of the true BSMD programs, I know for a fact that Drexel, prior to the change to a 8 year program, had an extremely high attrition rate. No idea if this trend extends to the new 8 year program.

Have heard from current students in programs, that UMKC and WASHUSTL had a lot of kids in the past get kicked out.

Another BS/MD program that had over 50% attrition is Augusta because of grading and cGPA requirements. I am hearing this number is decreasing with more competitive pool year over year.

@trustybsms @positivelybsmd

Agree with @GreenPoison - medical schools do NOT disclose attrition rates.

And agree with @GoldenRock that attrition percentages will not be meaningful.

There will be attrition - thatā€™s a fact. Do not worry too much about it.
Focus on schools (if you have options) where they provide support to BS/MD kids and are invested in their successes.

Example of support include giving you an additional year to meet your undergraduate BS/MD requirements or giving you options to choose coursework in your way or options to change your majors or having relatively benign MCAT requirements or having other options which make you feel supported.

Also, choose an undergrad that stresses you adequately so that you can find medical school manageable.

do some colleges automatically waitlist you for their undergrads if you donā€™t get into their BSMDs?

@help2017 Oh you got waitlisted from GW too? SAME dude also yes.

UNDOUBTEDLY we are both more than qualified to attend (knock on wood). Itā€™s hopefully just because of the BS/MD.

@HELP2018 @Cherax YES me too, and I totally agree with you on that