Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@sajju786 - Yes current wisdom is HS and premed students should be providing direct medical services since most lack any formal training and certifications.

@srk2017 should be or should not be ^

*should NOT be. Thanks for catching it @PPofEngrDr . Itā€™s too late to fix it :blush:

Thanks @sajju786 for sharing your perspectives.

No matter what happens with BS/MD by tomorrow deadline, NaMo will win the election. :blush:

All in the current cycle

Please share your perspectives on the results thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22230158#Comment_22230158

@sajju786
I think colleges are looking for uniqueness in applicants and your sonā€™s two medical missions when woven into his essay created a very unique message which has resonated with the various Adcoms.

Congratulations!!!
I am sure your son is destined to many great things.

@PPofEngrDr - Hope NaMo gets low ranked results :wink:

@NoviceDadā€¦thanks

@NoviceDad Iā€™m unsure of who you spoke with regarding double depositing but no matter, Rice definitely adheres to the NACAC policy that double depositing is unethical and not allowed. In some situations, if double depositing is discovered, they may ask that you decline the offer at Rice or the other institution (depending on where you want to go), and provide proof of decline in order to maintain admit status at Rice. In other circumstances, they may rescind the offer all together, whether you are on the Rice/Baylor waitlist or not. Overall, I would not double deposit under any circumstances at any institution. It could have negative consequences.

@alexaniorez
Welcome to this forum.

I spoke specifically to RICEā€™s admissions officer and I specifically stated that.
What is to be unsure of?

RICE will know it is a ā€œdouble depositā€ because the student will be sending a letter explicitly stating the RICE/Baylor situation and acceptance at another BS/MD program.
No one is lying to RICE or hiding the fact that the student is waitlisted for Baylor and may only join if selected.
So, welcome to the world of special situations.

Your other post was regarding transfer to RICE.
Are you waiting for that? Hope you get it. All the best.

@alexaniorez
Question - are you associated with RICE in any way?

@NoviceDad Rice will know its a double deposit, but what of the other school? Does student have an obligation to inform them as well?

Most RD waitlists clear only after May 1st and students are encouraged to pay the deposit at another college due to the unpredictable nature of the waitlist admissions. In effect there is no option left for the student but to take admission at his/her second choice till the waitlist decision comes in from the first choice. The colleges benefit as they forfeit the deposit.

@gallentjill
Yes, the student should keep 3 stakeholders in the loop:

1. The high school counselor - needs to explain to her/him the situation and course of action recommended by Rice/ wait-listed university
  2. Rice - the program/university that wait-listed you and is requiring you to accept the UG to remain in consideration for the admission
  3. The program you accepted and will join in case the wait-list does not clear. You need to explain to them about your wait-list situation at the other program and that you need to make a deposit to the UG to keep you in consideration for the wait-list.

All in the current cycle

Please share your perspectives on the results thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22230158#Comment_22230158

How do med schools calculate GPAs if we go to multiple UG schools? Let us say we start with a remote campus of a UG college for a year and then move to main campus? Main campus says they do not include remote campus GPA in their GPA calculations but they accept credits. As I know remote campus is less rigorous but if that was the only option given, is it worth to pursue?

@DSOF20192023 - You need to report all UG grades in AMCAS whether credit is given by the second school or not.

@DSOF20192023 Everything done at any college (CC or Remote or Regular or dual credit at HS or whatever) must be reported in AMCAS application. Some of them will be reported but will not be used for GPA calculations like AP, CLEP. You need to request transcript from every college. So if remote college transcript has courses and their grade, it will be used for GPA calculation. Though you may be transferring remote in to the regular and if the regular does not give credit. You will not duplicating the course in the app.

What is your other choice? If you donā€™t prefer the remote and regular.

@GoldenRock Do not choose that college. Rather study first year in second option UG college and then try to transfer to main campus, if still heart is on that after one year. Even if second choice UG school credits are given but not included in main campus GPA, atleast they are similar in rigor and med schools may see that. Is my thinking correct?