Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Thanks again @rk2017.

I know UIC will admit around 40+ as GPPA BSMD. will definitely look for more info on that.

@NamelessClueless We recently visited Brooklyn and spoke with someone in admissions. We were told that this last application season the average GPA was 98 and SAT was 1490 or the equivalent ACT. I do know they have a strong preference for NY residents.

Is UIC GPPA limited to in-state only?

@RedMan108 Yes. UIC GPPA is limited to in-state students only.

How important is AP Physics for a BS/MD applicant versus on-level Physics?

@RUA It depends, but the short answer is no. Our son, who took regular Physics course, got into a BS/MD program along with four ā€œtop 20ā€ ranked schools. Good luck!

I donā€™t know how important AP physics is, but my daughter made the decision to take regular physics instead. She will also be taking AP Chem, BC Calc, AP Econ, AP lang and a few other courses. She just thought AP physics on top of that was too much. I agree.

@upstream @gallentjill - Yes, I have the core APā€™s - Bio, Chem, Calc BC & Lang . However, it helps to know that you can still make it without having to take AP Physics necessarily, And, I understand there are several other important components of the application, though course rigor is an substantial component. Thank you!!

Does anyone have info about Sophie Davis in NYC? It feeds into CUNY medical school. But I canā€™t find any information about this institution. Is it only for the Sophie Davis program or is it an independant medical school on its own? Also, is there any information about the match statistics for residencies? Thanks!

@gallentjill,

If you havenā€™t come across already the following may shed some light.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/15/nyregion/cuny-medical-school-to-open-in-2016.html?_r=0

Ugh. Paywall.

Is a 3.82 gpa and 1500 good enough for mid to low tier bsmd

@MaybeIvy2020 You can take college-level courses during the summer to improve your academic profile. Stanford, CA has summer college for high school students and offers a wide spectrum of classes to choose from like in humanities, basic sciences, and engineering/computer science. You could take college-level introductory chemistry with lab at Stanford next summer. You will have an official Stanford transcript to send with your BS/MD application.

Can anyone compile cost of Various Integrated programs including the undergrad part only tuition and fees. Please donā€™t include boarding/food/travel. Also, state any merit awards possibility and also requirements and chances of getting into the MD part. To start with what I know are given below:

All amounts are only Tuition & Fees (doesnā€™t include boarding/food):
a) University of Illinois (GPPA - only open to Illinois Residents) - $228K (for 7 years) - MCAT required; Science GPA - 3.6 (to maintain) in the UG years
(Chances of Merit awards for UG is good with about $3K to $7K/year. Heard even for MD part $100K for 4 years)

b) University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC) - 6 year BA/MD
In-state (MO) - $165K; Regional (IL, KS, AR, NE, & OK) - $260 K; All other states - $355K for all the 6 years;
(Chances of Merit award is 0 to nothing in the first 2 years; But from 3 to 6 years some merit award possibility)
Science GPA - 2.8 or higher; No MCAT required; As long as one adheres to this no issue getting a MD degree. They also have 1 chance (means of extension in the first 2 years if GPA falls below 2.8 or D or less in any required Medical course work) and then another 1 year extension from 3-6 years).

Can anyone let me know how senior year grades are approached by these programs? I need the programs to see my senior year grades so my cumulative GPA increases. Thanks.

@OVOGang,

Of the programs I am somewhat familiar with, Boston, Brown and Northwestern ask for 1st semester grades of senior year. So I believe they do look into these grades but not sure how much weightage they assign to this in their decision making on who to invite for interviews. Also bear in mind these are some of the toughest programs to get into, with the number of applicants for the first two programs crossing 2000 every year. NW on the other hand limits the number of applicants by asking you to submit all your information online first and then deciding who to even invite to submit the preliminary application.

Penn State/Jefferson doesnā€™t ask for these grades from senior year. I think the same with Pitt.
I hope others here with direct knowledge will chime in further on which programs ask/donā€™t ask.

If you think your final year grades are going to be an important factor of your application, and so will decide which programs to apply to or drop from your list, your best bet would be to call up the admissions folks of these programs yourself or ask/confirm with them directly on your college visits, if planning any in the next few days and months. Also find out how much importance it carries, though they may not reveal or even know that, depending on who you get to ask.

@blessed101 - Avoid SLU! In their Medical Scholars program one has only 38% chance of making it to MD part. Also, mandatory 4 year BS! SLU is currently on probation by LCME since 2016 but most likely will get the accreditation back this year! You still have to take MCAT and interview to get to the MD part.

Honestly with her ACT 33, GPPA would not call her for the interview (very unlikely) being an Indian American! She needs to get 34 or higher. 34 is the bare minimum unless extra ordinary circumstances in the essay she has gone through in her life.

Honestly I would avoid Case based on the profile. For Indian Americans at Case to get an interview you need prefect scores as well (Unfortunately they filter it out very good - I was told). Though lot of Indian Americans do get interview but most of them have perfect scores. Case is also mandatory 4 year BS before starting MD part!

Depending up on number of applicants from her School, she can apply to UMKC but again she might get interview based on her medical related experience but if her HS has fellow Indian American students who have better score and similar experience and if they are also applying to UMKC, it might be a long shot.

Pardon if I am sounding negative here! Good luck!

@OVOGang,

just to make myself clear, the possibilities at the above mentioned 3 programs and anywhere else they ask for final year grades,

1. they may use them to use your cumulative gpa till that point (7th semester) 2. they may continue using only up till junior year but want to look at senior grades for either a) to make sure that you are not suffering from Senioritis b) any upward swing which they may factor in favorably.

You can benefit from scenario 1 or 2b, but you need to do some digging to find out.

Also went back to look at your mentioned list of programs, I think TCNJ and Drexel also donā€™t care about your senior year grades. But call them up just in case.

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m not applying for BSMD programs 2019 but I want to make sure Iā€™m on the right track when I apply for BSMD programs 2020.

Iā€™ve checked many BSMD threads and realized itā€™s very competitive! I really want to be accepted into BSMD programs but my stats are not as strong as others and I will be competing against people with perfect stats. It doesnā€™t help that Iā€™m Indian (born and raised in America Illinois) I need a lot of advice, such as what ECā€™s I should do for the upcoming years and Iā€™ll need advice, in general, to raise my chances to get accepted in a BSMD program!

Here are my stats:

American Indian
Rising Sophomore (I know itā€™s early but I want to get a strong foundation heading into sophomore year of HS)

Top 3 Public High School in Illinois EXTREMELY Competitive Over 1000 kids in my 2021 class and 4000+ kids in total.

3.8 UW GPA (A sloppy first semester of Freshman year but rebounded with all Aā€™s the following semester)
4.075 W GPA

Looking to bring UW GPA up to 3.9+

SAT Scores: The following are just PSAT scores and SAT practice tests
PSAT: 1250
Khan Academy: 1200

Going to do many workshops and stuff to raise my SAT to at least 1400 by the end of Sophomore year

Sophomore Year: 1 AP 2 Honors
Junior: 3-4 AP
Senior: 4-5 AP

ECā€™s:
VEX Robotics: Won State Championship - Went to Nationals
Debate Team
FDA ( Future Doctors of America Club)
Karate - I left the team after 1 year
Water Polo
Attending Dr. Rubins medical camp in August (Thanks @WGSK88 )

Research/Internships:
Research studies Biology RIBS at UChicago (Junior Year)
Research Internship (Undecided on where to go as of right now)

Awards:
Design Award and Judges Award in Robotics
2nd in 18U Water Polo State Tournament
Gold and Green Honor Rolls

Leadership - Team Leader in Vex for Designing
Looking for more leadership roles in the upcoming years

Volunteering/Service:
25+ Hours Library Work (100+ Planned) NON-MEDICAL RELATED
50+ Hours Lutheran Home Care (250+ Planned for next 3 years) MEDICAL RELATED
AGES 16+: 0+ Hours Shadowing (100+ Planned) MEDICAL RELATED,
AGES 16+: 0+ Hours Service at Northwestern (100+ Planned) MEDICAL RELATED
0+ Hours Riding in an Ambulance or First Aid Team (Planning to sign myself up in the upcoming year) THANKS Rusty!

May I please have some advice on what to do to get accepted by a BSMD program? I know itā€™s early but I donā€™t want to wait and do something that can mess up my chances! I know itā€™s very hard to get accepted but Iā€™m really pushing myself to have the best possible chances! Thank you very much, this means a lot to me and Iā€™m looking forward to hearing your guys responses!!

Also, is there anything Iā€™m missing that I should do to raise my chances??