Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Thank you @NoviceDad and all other parents, experienced members, appreciate your time and input.

Looks like some of us just have to change our names in the forum to make others happy…paradigm shift :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Did anyone from CA receive interview notifications for BU

@sajju786 @JBourne5 @hoop897 @GoldenStateDad
Thank you

Thanks to all contributors.

I will be around.

To all applicants and parents of applicants, grind is real and this is just beginning, between now and March end lots of dream going to be true and some may feel shattered.
If you have health care professional in your family and friends, you may not see value in these discussions, however lots of parents, like myself, its a first time rodeo in healthcare and don’t understand a lot (tbh, during last year BS/MD application process felt everything learning new again and was far more overwhelmed than an elder one engineering applications just a year before)
You going to agree to be disagreed in public forum, not everything is said to be applicable to you and 100% accurate for you, just like kids, parents makes mistakes too and we own it whenever we do.
By the end of process, applicants will learn one thing for sure, life qualities necessary for a Dr, tolerance, compassion, courage and difficult decisions.
@NoviceDad and I are in this journey together, started during last year admission process, my S started NU UG last year (in couple of hours dropping him off for Q2), he was selective in BS/MD applications (only 4 BS/MD programs applied), let go BME at GATech and made a UG route choice.
I started learning MCAT, step 1, medical school evaluation, how to even read some of those reports, this is not meant to interfere or impose my opinions on my S, rather whenever he talks about nuances of medical schools, I understand it better. So non-healthcare professional parent role is stay on perimeter in supportive role while child be in center and all freedom to make decisions.
But don’t loose focus on one thing, you have made this far and there is something in you that you feel confident and passionate about it.

@PPofEngrDr Well said.

Please leave this discussion for now.I am sure the kid might have not said to hurt anyone purposefully.We as elders should also understand that these are teenage kids with lot hormonal fluctuations going thru at this stage sometimes unknowingly jump into verbal joust.The knowledge we are getting from this forum is so valuable that many times you wont get inspite of seeking any professional help by paying dollars.
As a cc parent I sincerely apologize on behalf of that kid and parents please dont stop pouring your knowledge into this forum.

That student must be extremely stressed out over this toughest part of the bsmd journey- waiting for bsmd interview invites and prep. Still, be careful because one moment of impulse-speaking can sometimes tank your career. Medicine is a very high stress environment and the stakes are often life or death. No one likes those docs who yell, or turn mean during high stress situations, trust me, even hospital admins. I speak this as a doctor working in intensive care. The days of doctors getting away with Dr. House-style rude comments are over. Lol.

I want to thank all those dads and moms who helped us last year on our BSMD journey and your invaluable advice in helping us make the final choice. There is a clarity/maturity in perspectives that comes from experience. There are also current bsmd students who are helping current cycle’s applicants in this forum. Thank you too! I read the BSMD forums at CC for the three years before my D’s application last year and the info we learned helped us tremendously. Thank you all for helping these kids!

@GoldenStateDad

In my opinion, there is not much point in evaluating a med school by comparing residency match primary care vs specialty, especially for 18 year olds. Many doctors are happy and feel more fulfilled doing Primary care. And some of the most prestigious specialties require that they do a primary care residency first- internal medicine, general surgery, pediatrics etc. It is really hard for students to decide what specialty they are good at and are happy doing until they go through their medical school clinical rotations. For example, the students who think it’ll be cool to be a neurosurgeon may change they mind after assisting at dozens of 8 plus hour surgeries. Please see the link below for the 2018 NRMP match data that gives a basic idea of what specialties students usually match to straight after Med school.

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

You can look at BU, AMC residency match records, which will give an idea of which schools their students matched to, to give you an idea of the names of schools their students are going for residency. But even those things are really far more dependent on individual students and their abilities, than med school alone. If a medical school has good research going on preferably in areas that are of interest to the medical student, and the student gets the chance to participate, then their chances of a better residency goes up as residency interview prospects are based on USMLE score, research, LORs etc. Match data is insufficient to make a good decision regarding which school to pick, and only a current or recent medical student/resident/fellow in that med school can give you really useful info.

My DD is truly excited about pediatrics right now, but being a parent, I know things could change drastically once she goes through clinical rotations.

Thanks, @TTV2018 for the great insight and input.

I submitted the sophie davis application on Jan 3, but got no email confirmation. Is that normal?

The deadline is Jan 8th

Do you know what time Jan 8th the application is due for Sophie Davis?

Probably 11:59 pm but I’m not sure

Do you have any advice on the essays, what route did you take for the domestic problem prompt?

See post #266, confirming that Sophie Davis is in-state only.

Thank you @PPofEngrDr @SBSapphire

Agree with @whitecane - let’s focus on the future.

Has anyone received interview invitation call from BU in 2019 after holidays?

Same question for Albany.

@NoviceDad Thank you for your analysis on BU vs AMC. Can you provide a similar analysis for SBU/GWU vs Hofstra Northwell when time permits. For some of us parents who are not in the healthcare field we are totally clueless how to evaluate the medical school.

Any tips for BU Interview??

@brown2024

Don’t wonder too much on how to evaluate different med schools at this time. Personally I don’t know much about Hofstra but GWU has a very good med school (they are also generous with undergrad merit awards and the program is flexible, you aren’t locked in). Having said that, what is the use of doing all the study if it is practically next to impossible to get in first?

I think the strength of the GWU program is 10-12, so they will probably extend acceptances to 20-25 out of a pool of 2000 or so applicants, give or take. (I think the location is also a major factor here). Not sure if SBU has any special leeway and if one has better chances to go through that route to GWU.

I think one has to focus on such details first before even deciding whether or not to spend all that time researching and analyzing. You can still apply to difficult to get in programs and see what happens, but it may be futile doing all the research upfront.