Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@JBourne5
53% match in primary care is higher than US average.
That would place it in my view as average.

Between UAB and Albany, you should do a deeper dive in the exact hospitals/med schools the matches happened.

One thing for Albany is about 40%-45% id matches are within NY state.
For some, that may be a factor.

@noregerts Thank you :slight_smile:

Also, I just wanted to thank y’all for this amazing thread! I don’t know how I would have kept my paranoia and worries at bay otherwise! It’s so great to have people to bounce ideas off of <3

@rk2017
Since Medicare and insurance companies dictate reimbursements, a specialty medicine practitioner typically earns more a primary care physician (even if the physician did primary care residency at Harvard or Stanford).
It does NOT matter where you do residency.
However to get specialty residency, the strength of medical education and your Step 1 and 2 scores matter, apart from other criteria.

@NoviceDad

Thanks, it’s very helpful. Quick question, how can a high schooler decide what specialization he/she might want to do at the end of med school (7-8 years from now)? Isn’t it too early (or rather pre-mature) to decide the specialization as a senior in high-school? So, in the absence of that decision (what specialty), what should one look at in residency match data to determine the college?

@NoviceDad,

Yes, I do know about insurance payment policies and all that. But I am sure most of the folks, if not all, choose this path not just for money. These bright folks could always choose other careers to make lot more in probably lot less time and effort. The reason one chooses this path is for higher calling from within. If after getting enough exposure to medicine, gaining maturity, and discovery of themselves and various fields and enough contemplating, if one chooses certain fields to concentrate on for specialization that is fine. But they will do themselves and others disservice if they don’t listen to their hearts in deciding what to do their whole careers and instead are guided by money or prestige or supply demand equations and what not. It is as if they will be going against the very fundamentals which drove them to take up medicine in the first place.

@rk2017
You miss my point:
This was in response to what you had indicated - "For example which one is a better residency? An internal medicine at Stanford vs. some highly sought after speciality (for whatever reasons) at some no way comparable med school? "

I am saying doing a specialty residency of your choice in any college is better than opting for primary care at Harvard or Stanford just because they are prestigious. Because once you are a doctor, you get paid the same for the your kind of work whether you do residency from Harvard or Hofstra.

@sajju786 Before your interview, were you updated on the status of your file? It says on the website we would be updated but so fat I have not been notified in any way?

@GoldenStateDad
Yes, we will not know till 6-7 years in the future what our kids would love to do and what specialty they would choose.

A proxy therefore is to look at residency matches and find out what percentages went to family medicine and psychiatry - these require the “lowest” Step 1 scores to get admitted. Next look at overall primary care residency percentages.
A college will higher percentage of these – for me it means it an average college.

Here an example:
Albany: 53% in primary care residency match —> 47% chance you will land a non-primary care residency
BU: 30% in primary care residency match —> 70% chance you will land a non-primary care residency

In my view, BU is better medical school than Albany.
Getting in specialty residency is harder since the seats are limited and there is hyper-competition. In my view, a medical school with higher percentage of specialty matches indicates better quality of education & better peer group.

This thread would be better if all the dads get out and just let the students talking about the college prospective. B-)

@GoldenStateDad If your DS is undecided about which specialty to pursue, let him shadow some of those during his college. He may want to shadow a dermatologist, oncologist, oncology radiologist etc. He should wait until USMLE step 1 score to decide on the specialty.

@bsmdonly There are many other threads about college perspectives. You may start your own about any specific college you are interested in. Why do you want parents out ?

@bsmdonly

you are offending moms. [-X [-X

its just that all the application process itself is overwhelming, I just want stats on how other students are handling and
learn about interview process etc; its just these long threads on dad’s names are annoying. I didn’t see “mom” in user names, that’s why I guess I left the moms alone, sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone :)>-

@bsmdonly Concentrate more on your upcoming interview at RPI/AMC than spending time on this forum. It will NOT be very helpful to check on other applicants. This whole bsmd process is a total crapshoot. All you need is ONE acceptance.

@bsmdonly

My D is already doing HPME at NU.
I have no kids doing BS/MD this year or next year or the year after.
I am here investing my time on the assumption it helps newer parents and kids like you.

One of my friends had told me - free advice is not valued. Thank you for reminding that.

If you find our posts annoying, please feel free to ignore them and stop reading them.
Unfortunately for you, this is an open forum.

@NoviceDad
 really appreciate your help, advice and input.

Please do not heed to unruly and unappreciative kids on this forum.

@BigMan1234
 there is no update on the BU portal, my son got a call and then they sent in via email the interview invite for Jan 25th

Thanks for all the information @NoviceDad
btw
Jason Bourne movie series is one my favorites

@NoviceDad well said
I am a Mom, My DS is applied to BSMD programs. We are waiting on the results. Pls keep writing. its very useful forum for a parents like us
We can’t get these kind of informations from our friends or families. Thank you all the Moms and Dads for your valuable unput