Tips for move in

<p>Hi, freshman move in is a little more than 3 weeks away! We will be moving D2 into Stanford. Any tips/advice for move in and orientation? Thanks!</p>

<p>My D lives in Stanford this year too. We have done this many times before. Dress cool…it gets really hot! (there will be people giving out water bottles and you should take them!)
Patience while you stand in line for elevators is key…park as close as possible without breaking any rules. There will be shuttles driving around if you don’t get as close as you want and you can move into someone’s spot later…
I always pack rain ponchos (from the Dollar tree) and tarps…if you have them, it won’t rain! We have never used them, but it is good to be prepared.
My move in bag also holds Lysol wipes to initially clean the room before you start putting things away. Carpet tape is important to have with you if you plan on carpet in the room.Command strips of all sizes come in handy for decor.
Organization is key…when packing, have all of the school supplies together, toiletries together, etc. It makes life easier. We learned to save dry cleaner bags and move things in on hangers and it sure is easy to just hang things up and be done…</p>

<p>I have written move in “reports” before, so if you look up some of my old posts from Aug/Sept in previous years, you will see more tips. </p>

<p>The one thing that I suggest to keep in mind is that there will be stress. Lots of it. Your D will be stressed, you will be hot and tired and stressed and bickering can occur. This is the normal “pulling away” stuff, but it can be unsettling. If you have an opportunity during orientation to take the session with the group therapist you won’t be sorry. It really is helpful.
Congrats! It will be a wonderful few days at the U and you will leave with total confidence that your D is in the right place!</p>

<p>DS’ move in is the afternoon of 8/20. If we get there early (such as 11 am), will he have to wait to get his key or will they let him in?</p>