To Calculus or not to Calculus

I’ll be a junior in high school this upcoming year, but I’m supposed to be taking calculus for math, because I’ve been in advanced classes since 2nd grade. I plan on going to college for Art, and therefore I don’t think it’s really a necessary class to take in college, especially in high school. I asked if I could switch to a lower level math just to keep the next two years with at least one math class, but I was told it would look bad for colleges if I were to do that.

Another issue is that if I were to stay in calculus, my school has two different types; AB and BC. I’m currently enrolled into BC, which is 1.5 credits compared to the typical 1 for year long math classes, do to the extensive material covered and additional class time before school even starts. AB is still calculus, just less extensive. If I were to listen to the person who said dropping levels wouldn’t look good, would it matter if I were to take AB instead, even though it’s slightly easier?
I don’t think I’ll really need much math for Art, especially since I don’t plan on going into anything too mathematical, but I also don’t want it to look bad by dropping the class.

Calculus in 11th grade is two grade levels ahead. That suggests that you should be a strong student in math. Is that the case?

Calculus AB will be a gentler version of calculus than calculus BC or calculus in college will be. So that may be a better option than taking no math at all or taking some lower level math (since you presumably already have completed precalculus), if you do not want to go with calculus BC.

In addition, if you change your mind and go into something that requires more math (or math-adjacent stuff like logic), you will be better prepared for it. That could also be the case for math general education requirements in college.

Math and art are not that unrelated: AMS :: Mathematical Imagery

4 Likes

What types of colleges are you looking at? Art schools or big publics where they may do a first pass with an algorithm?

1 Like

Unless you are trying to get into one of the most rejective schools or as a STEM major, taking AB Junior year is fine. Even if those exceptions I listed it’s probably fine, or at least not the make it or break it reason a school would reject you. Interesting that your school gives extra credit and more time for BC. That’s not typical.

You can take either one but you must be talented enough to be recommended. Keep that in mind. You might decide to shift gears even… Artistic Engineering - Armani Talks

Many mathy artistic kids, creative look into these fields (look around)… https://www.si.umich.edu/programs/bachelor-science-information

My point is don’t close any doors. If anything interests you at the least take either Calc. Still got senior year if your school offers more.

1 Like

There is no way taking calc AB as a Junior will hurt you, even if you decide to pursue a STEM field. Seems like the way to go. Dropping math entirely could give the impression you took the easy route.

3 Likes

Since all selective colleges want you to challenge yourself in high school, and you seem to be capable of that challenge, why not take it? AOs will be impressed by an art major who can also demonstrate aptitude in math.

4 Likes

You might as well take the calc class if you know you can handle it! Though you might be confident in what you want to study I know many people (myself included) who have gotten to college and changed their plans around, causing them to take classes they never thought they would take. In high school I took AP AB and BC but then didn’t study very much for the test and ended up with a score that wouldn’t get me credit in college because “I’m not going to need this for my major” and now I have to take a calculus class this year because I changed my course of study lol… on top of that it’s always good to challenge yourself and it will help you with the admissions process. Both AB or BC are good choices as long as you keep learning

A side note: your user ID sounds like it may be your real name. This is not recommended practice on this public forum and you might want to change it. See talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/how-do-i-change-my-username

Right now I’ve been looking at a couple of community colleges and Northern Illinois University. My mom tried helping me look at the requirements for the degrees I was interested in, but college calculus vs taking it in high school are different, plus it didn’t look like it was required for the degrees we were looking at.

One nice thing about knocking out Calc AB, depending on the college, you can meet the math requirements in their core requirements depending on your score.

For NIU

APP Exam Score NIU Credit
Calculus AB 3, 4, 5 MATH 229
Calculus BC 4, 5 MATH 229 and 230
Calculus BC 3 MATH 229

I can’t not seem to find what they mean by foundational and knowledge courses, but this probably meets one of them.

If you can manage, take as much math as you can and as tough as you can. It gives you analytical skills and will open many alternative or complimentary options.