Top Journalism Schools

<p>Old rankings:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.theihs.org/libertyguide/subcategory.php/9.html?menuid=2#jo%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.theihs.org/libertyguide/subcategory.php/9.html?menuid=2#jo&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I am just curious...is there such a program that focuses on travel writing?</p>

<p>Missouri is a phenomenal program. My sister is currently there, so I know it a bit from the inside-out. Don't ever underestimate the connections you will get from alumni - someone mentioned the Mizzou-Mafia, and that's absolutely true. When the person hiring you is from the same school as you, or a person inside can put your name forward, it makes a HUGE difference in the opportunities that will come your way, especially in a field like journalism.</p>

<p>I know Missouri is good but I don't know if it's the right program for me. It seems to be based more in theory which I got a lot of in my undergraduate journalism degree. It would also be nice to get out in 1 year, like Northwestern or American. Both of their programs focus much more on experience than class and theory. The Medill/Northwestern name is huge but I want to know if it's worth being in huge debt. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>The only way you can decide is to visit the top schools and speak in depth with advisors. Broach your concerns with them, and see what they say. Plus, you'll then know if they are people you want to work with.</p>

<p>I've been to most of them but I guess it's a little late to visit now since I have to decide like...now.</p>

<p>Then pick up the phone. Email first to say that to make your decision, you'd like to speak with them about a few questions, etc. you have. Then schedule a time to speak with them. You'd be surprised how a couple conversations will clear up the decision for you.</p>

<p>I am really suprised that hardly anyone has mentioned two of the best schools for journalism- Syracuse U and USC !</p>

<p>Syracuse has Newhouse School- it was the first journalism school in the nation, one of the best schools and has an awesome list of alumni- We're talking Dick Clark, Bob Costas, and tons of other people in the business.</p>

<p>University of So Cal also has the Annenberg School- a top rated school with various fields from communications to broadcast to PR and others. Also, because of it's large size it has a huge alumni list and the alumni network comes in handy. And come on, look at the location - it's L.A., the number 2 market !!!!</p>

<p>The University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Journalism and Mass Communications (CoJMC) is a great choice. Competing against students from America's best journalism schools, three CoJMC students just captured a national championship, a third place and an honorable mention at the 46th annual Hearst National Championships in San Francisco.</p>

<p>Great internships, professors, and hands-on learning oportunities abound for students here. </p>

<p>Omaha senior Chris Welch won the national championship in the Hearst Championship's broadcasting category for his television news report on immigration issues.
Omaha's Michael Bruntz took third place in the writing competition for his stories on immigration and former California Gov. Jerry Brown.
Lincoln senior Brian Lehmann earned an honorable mention in the photojournalism category and won the "best picture story of the year" award for a series of photos documenting the Platte River. </p>

<p>In the Overall Intercollegiate Hearst Competition this year, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln placed fourth nationally ahead of Missouri, Syracuse, USC, Northwestern and several other J-schools with notable reputations.</p>

<p>Hi. In August, I will begin my Freshman year at Mizzou. I'm excited, and I hope to eventually write for the New York Post. Does anyone know how to go about that? Thanks.</p>

<p>Watch "Tabloid Wars" on Bravo (?) to see what The Post is like from the inside. first episode last night (7-24) check listings...</p>

<p>thanks. I meant to watch that show, but somewhow I forgot. There was only about 10 minutes left when I realized, so I decided to just wait for the re-run. The Post is not a tabloid, so I don't know why they call it that. Sure, it has Page 6, but basically all of the rest is news.</p>

<p>Guess what? I'm downloading 'Tabloid Wars' now, so I won't have to wait ;)</p>

<p>MayerGirl5, I would say that having a 'conservative political bent' and being from Australia would help. The NY Post and the news corporation in general seems bent on hiring foreign nationals for its American news operations. And by the way, the Post IS A TABLOID, by local definition.</p>

<p>The term "tabloid" technically refers to the size of a newspaper; the Wall Street Journal has now become a tabloid in that sense. The term has acquired a secondary meaning: a style of journalism that's pretty well exemplified in this country by the New York Post.</p>

<p>Yes, I know that the Post is tabloid size, it's just that I think the word 'tabloid' has a negative connotion. For instance, I told my friends dad that I wanted to write for the Post someday, and he said 'oh, so you're going to write about celebrities having baby aliens, are you?' I just found his comment slightly annoying.</p>

<p>this is the first time i've ever seen nebraska included among the top five. anybody in the know about missouri would overwhelmingly refute "a step back" anywhere given the multimillion dollar construction and growth going on there and the huge sums of money being raised. ditto the advances at USC which like columbia is in the other media capital of the world.</p>

<p>nebraska is a very fine second tier program like kansas and oklahoma. almost anybody in the field can find two executives touting one school. better to check consensus data instead.</p>

<p>My son is interested in sports journalism, has been very active on his high school paper, and has even been published in a college textbook. He has been told that it's better to major in something other than journalism for an undergrad degree, and then either minor in journalism or go to grad school... any idea what major would be the best option?</p>

<p>At Northwestern, a journalism major often ends up double-majoring because the requirement is only maximum of 12 out of 45 credits (1 credit = 1 course) are from the journalism school. With the remaining 33 credits, you may as well use them to fulfill the requirement of another liberal arts major.</p>

<p>all accredited programs in journalism require a heavy grounding in the liberal arts. political science or economics are great concentrations for news reporters, for example.</p>