Transfer Chances? (Visualization/UGS)

<p>I am applying to UT's RTF program and UT Dallas's ATEC program. I'm sure I'll get into the latter but I am not sure about the former. I am aware that A&M's visualization program is one of the hardest schools to get into and there are only a few students who graduate from the program each year. Since A&M was never my top-choice I didn't take pre-cal (RTF and ATEC don't require anything higher than college algebra) even though I tested into it. I will also be applying to whatever the equivalent is to undergraduate studies at A&M. Anyway here are my stats.</p>

<p>I am an in-state freshman at a community college. I took five classes this semester and got As in all but one of them (giving me a 3.8 GPA). However, since I took dual credit in high school and didn't do so well second semester my GPA is only a 3.42 (these classes are including into my GPA since the school I did dual credit at was the same school I got to now). I took the following courses this semester: GOVT 2305, HIST 1301, MATH 1314, HUMA 1301, and PSYC 2301. I am taking GOVT 2306, HIST 1302, MATH 1342, COMM 1307, and GEOL 1403 next semester. In the end I will have 36 transfer credits but only 21 when I actually apply. Like I said A&M was never really my first choice so most of my classes are geared towards ATEC (which was my first choice at first before I realized I might have a chance at UT).</p>

<p>I work part-time at Best Buy as a video game salesperson. It is my first and only job and, since I don't really have any volunteer work or anything, is really the only official thing I can put on my resume. I got an award for a graphic design competition back in junior year of high school but aside from that I don't have any actual achievements for my resume. I have a lot of experience with video editing and compositing (I plan on focusing on visual effects) and use Adobe After Effects and 3DS Max quite often but as for actual achievements the main thing I can put on my resume is my job and my visual effects skills. I plan on talking a lot about my love for visual effects in my essays and my technical knowledge in my essays so I am hoping that sets me apart. I have been told I am a good essay writer (I have never made below a 95 on any college writing assignment without much effort but that may just be because it's community college) so I am not too worried about my essays so much.</p>

<p>So what do you guys think? Do I have a shot? And even if I do is it really worth me having to take more advanced math classes and a physics course? </p>

<p>If it helps I do plan on being a VFX artist for either movies or games. I hear Pixar and Dreamworks love A&M which is why it's one of my choices.</p>

<p>I think visualization is full :/</p>

<p>My niece got accepted as a freshman to the Visualization major for fall 2013. She was an automatic admit and applied in early August. It only accepts about 30 students a year and, as the previous poster said, is already full.</p>

<p>I’m not positive, so you need to check it out, but I believe my brother-in-law told me they only accept students as incoming freshmen and not upperclassman transfers.</p>

<p>I would contact the department the major is part of to get definitive guidance. My niece is an artist and the Pixar angle was what sold her on Visualization, too. Aggies have played a big part in many of the Disney/Pixar movies. In fact, Sully in Monster’s Incorporated was said to be named by the Aggies working on that movie after Lawrence Sullivan Ross whose statue resides in front of the Academic building.</p>

<p>I know I’ve seen that they accept transfers but the documents are listed as “currently under revison” so perhaps it changed or something. Either way though would it be possible for to just get into TAMU as a GEST major (since it’s easier to get into) and just switch majors as soon as I can? Like I said TAMU isn’t really my top choice anyway so it’s not that big of a deal if nothing is possible. I’m more into visual effects than 3D animation. I didn’t really plan for working for Pixar. I wanted to stay in my lovely Texas.</p>