Transfer Student - Please Help

<p>I applied this this spring semester and was denied because I did not have enough foreign language. I only had one semester and I am completing the second semester now and am going to apply again for this upcoming fall semester. In the letter of denial, they indicated my grades and courses were competitive. What does that mean exactly?</p>

<p>My college grades when applying for spring semester and did not get in:
16 credits - 1st semester: 3.33
16 credits - 2nd semester: 3.35</p>

<p>Now I have applied again for fall semester and have received my highest GPA yet while taking seventeen credits. I also registered for my second semester of foreign language so that will no longer be a factor. I am also a student-Athlete at my current institution. Do you believe this will be a big benefit? As it is not as common for athletes to pull good grades with a lot of credits and sport obligations. </p>

<p>17 credits - 3rd Semester: 3.41
College Cumulative: 3.37</p>

<p>I also have two letters of recommendation, one from a high school teacher and one from my college econ professor who indicated I was one of only three students to receive an "A" in his class that semester. My major I will be pursuing at Madison will be economics.</p>

<p>I would appreciate any input on my chances of acceptance. Thanks.</p>

<p>Edit: I believe I wrote a strong first essay. However, I did not write an essay for the second question because it seemed optional and unnecessary. Should I write an essay for the second question? I definitely still have time since Wisconsin does not start reviewing applications until February 1st. If it will hurt me at all, please let me know.</p>

<p>what were your high school grades and act scores? They still take those into consideration (more for sophomore transfer though)?</p>

<p>Not very good, but I am transferring as a Junior so I don't believe it will that much of a factor. My act score was a 24 but am not submitting it. My high school GPA was around 3.3 I believe. Most of this was due to my freshman and sophomore high school years though. I had a huge improvement in grades my junior and senior years.</p>

<p>Where are you transferring from? That's a huge part of the process for transfer student applicants. Course rigor varies enormously from one institution to the next.</p>

<p>Winona State University in Minnesota. It's a larger D2 school and one of the better known and ranked public universities in Minnesota. What does everything think about my grades and grade trends? What are my chances? Thanks to everyone's replies so far.</p>

<p>You are really, really close. Transfer student admissions are so sticky! Seriously there is no rhyme or reason to them, and even people that get admitted as transfer students often spend months or years getting the proper recognition of their credits from a past institution. Because nothing is the same from school to school and honestly, few schools are of the caliber of UW-Madison's coursework. That being said, admissions is very familiar with in-state schools and Minnesota transfers, as they are the most common.</p>

<p>You are very much borderline, from what I can tell. Your grades aren't bad, but they aren't good at a school like Winona. I'm from Minnesota, so I'm pretty familiar. All I can tell you is what you already know: it's close, and it's a total toss-up (as so many admission decisions are). Best of luck, keep us posted!</p>

<p>Oh, and I hadn't read properly. Take home for you:</p>

<p>Get the best GPA you've ever had during this next spring semester. Seriously 3.7 or higher. Make it happen and you're in, I think.</p>

<p>Alright thanks a lot for your input! I have already applied so I don't think my spring grades will be looked at until I am accepted/denied. Should I get a third letter of rec from my sports coach? I am willing to do anything to get in. </p>

<p>Anyone else's opinion?</p>

<p>I dont have anything really to contribute but to ask when you received notification. My bf is still waiting for acceptance/denial for spring '09 at Madison- we put a call in today to the admissions counselor and are waiting for a call back (see what happens with that).</p>

<p>I received it about two months ago. I would think they would have got back to you by now... Just for fun, what is his GPA and other stats? Hope you hear back soon and get in!</p>

<p>Anyone else PLEASE have an opinion about my chances?</p>

<p>When UW said your courses and grades were competitive they meant you are probably in as a transfer once you complete the prerequisite language req. It is easier to get in as a transfer student than as a freshman. This is partly true because they don't need to limit numbers to insure there is room in the introductory/freshman level classes for more advanced students. By junior year you will be taking more advanced classes and generally not run into filled classes or take away a spot in them from someone who is already a student.</p>

<p>I wrote a longer post a bit back about the situation- but in a nutshell he is an international transfer who went on a two-year educational hiatus because he won a diversity visa in '06- i.e. he is US permanent resident. We just moved to Wisconsin (my home state) last November so we had to prove residency in November. Hes from Sweden and most of his stats arent comparable:</p>

<p>ACT-30
TOEFL- 118/120
4 semesters at top 5 Swedish university (studied Icelandic, media, music, geography/GIS)
ECs- not really done in Sweden- he did (does) have a band that received some national airplay a few years back- mentioned in his essay and record review sent as well
No letters of rec were submitted due to time lapse</p>

<p>I guess well see!</p>

<p>Thanks so much Wis75 and everyone else who has replied so far. </p>

<p>Any tips on the second statement? I've already discussed most of my most important points in my first essay. I was thinking about something along the lines of me being the first one in my family going to college. Then lead off on how I've never been pushed into doing anything worthwhile such as attending college, success in sports and music and having to pursue it all on my own without any push from anyone. Good start? Others have told me to somehow relate it to wanting to be around diversity and Madison really likes that. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Also would like anyone else to chance me. Thanks a lot so far.</p>

<p>Bump......</p>

<p>Read the admissions website for tips- they are far more accurate than any of us.</p>

<p>I got in! I just checked my online status before going bed.. it must have changed at midnight..!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!</p>

<p>Cool Congratz Roll :)</p>

<p>Welcome to Wisconsin!</p>