Transferring A Third Time From An Ivy to Alabama?

I have asked the Career Center for help and they were useless. And I’m not sure how applying for 50 internships (and counting!) is being too picky.

There’s no magic about an Ivy. It’s always about the person: you. From all you describe here, and in your other posts, and from what we can see of you from these posts, I suspect there could be an issue with your cover letter or how you are interviewing.

If Columbia can’t help you, find a trusted friend or relative who knows something about how to successfully apply for jobs/internships. Ask for feedback on your previous cover letters and recap what you’ve been asked in other interviews.

You appear to be unhappy. If you feel you aren’t making progress with your current therapist, try someone else. Good luck.

2 Likes

You can read residency requirements for any college by going to their website and doing a search there.

But FYI…even at age 24, you are not going to get a free full ride. It’s not going to happen.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree with @twogirls.
Your “experience” in your work-study job was on campus, correct?

You need to get outside of that bubble and actually “work” in a position that puts you in contact with a non-student based environment.

All of my 3 children did volunteer work, while students, when they couldn’t find paying campus jobs near their major.
Their outcomes were:

• making lasting friendships with people of all ages,
  • connections and leads to internships,
  • employment
  • resume “points” for volunteering
    and
  • LORs

Also, you really need to continue seeing a counselor. People on this site are trying to help you, and they personally don’t know your situation, so “biting”, at all of the suggestions posited, will make less people want to redirect you to programs that may help your situation.

3 Likes

If your parents won’t pay for a non-Ivy they aren’t likely to help you file financial aid paperwork either. You need that to be eligible for the federal student loans.

If you were my kid this is what I’d suggest. Get the degree from Columbia. A degree (esp. from an Ivy) is better than no degree. When you apply for jobs it’s easier to get past the initial app review if you can check that box, especially if that part of the process is automated.

After graduation move to a state that has reasonably priced grad school programs and allows you to get residency in a year or two. SUNY grad school tuition is reasonable for residents and you don’t need a STEM undergrad degree to get a master’s, so you may want to start your search there. You could get a masters in CS after about 10 courses, and if you do well enough to get a TA position some of your courses will be free.

2 Likes

What does “they were useless” mean? Have you tried volunteering in NYC? You said that a nursing major at a state school would be of interest to you. How about volunteering at different organizations to see if you would really enjoy this type of work? Maybe volunteer to set up medical appointments at homeless shelters, interview nurses, etc?

From there, if you truly like nursing, there are many paths to take once you graduate Columbia. You can work while taking prerequisites and eventually apply to nursing programs.

I feel as though you are looking for an “easy fix,” and there are none. It takes drive, hard work, grit, and therapy if necessary.

2 Likes

There are no full rides for transfers. Being NMF in HS doesn’t matter since that scholarship is related to the university you listed as #1 as a HS student. 'Bama’s big scholarship for transfers is $6,000, total.
https://scholarships.ua.edu/transfer/out-of-state/

What are you strong at? Do you speak a foreign language, for instance?
What math did you take in HS and did you do okay on that? Could you minor in CS or Applied Math? What about Linguistics with a CS minor?

The friendliest states in terms of residency are Utah and Missouri. However if you graduate college, live, and work in NYS you can be a resident for tuition purpose after 12 months, and you could take part-time classes at a SUNY to complement your Columbia degree.

8 Likes

Sorry to be blunt but you’ve been a nay sayer to everyone. It is HARD to find friends in college. There are ways.

But to say things like you can’t get through the core in two years and that’s all you have seem unrealistic. If all this is true why would they have accepted you ?

Kids at all colleges have issues. Go seek help. Join a club of interest. All are not exclusionary. My son joined a robotics and sailing club this year and has made friends.

When you transfer, as you did, it is hard anywhere because others have already been there. But you cannot just give up after a month.

As for internships, if you apply for next summer in an area of interest you may get lucky. Having the work study can help. It may take hundreds of apps. The world is competitive.

But if you go into defeat on every statement, that’s what you will get.

There is no doubt they have counseling services there with folks expert in helping transfers. Instead of bashing make a real effort. You are smart enough to compete. You got into two Ivys

Your parents are contributing to a great education. Take advantage.

5 Likes

Sorry this was confusing. To clarify, I can’t do the Core in two years AND start a new major/concentration. I can finish the Core in two years as long as I stick with the same major from my old school.

Yes. I know a kid who did a great internship this summer with a well known company. He’s from a state Uni. He said he felt intimidated knowing that other kids he was competing against were from Columbia and Carnegie Mellon. He applied to 65 internships. He only got one. One is enough.

3 Likes

Ok, going to be straight with you; IMO, as a former lower SES student who graduated from very well respected private LAC with a humanities degree, you need to get out ASAP with whatever BA you can get at this point. Go see your advisor Monday; find out what classes you need to take to get ANY degree. Yes, I know this goes against the tide. Look outside of the tri-state area for an internship; hit up DC, Philly and Baltimore or head further south and look at Charlotte and Atlanta. You can always go back to school for certifications or advanced degrees while you’re working; many businesses will help pay for it. Take the max credits each semester, whatever it takes to graduate. Yes, my social life sucked, not even going to lie. I didn’t have $ for any of the clubs or social activities. Instead, I worked 2-3 jobs to pay for everything not covered with FA and to save $ for an emergency fund for after I graduated. Those jobs got me experience and money. You’re currently having a pity party. I get it; we all do. It’s o.k.; give yourself the rest of the weekend to get it all out. Your journey doesn’t necessarily look like your peers’; I get that too, so put all of your time and energy into getting out of there. You get to graduate from one of the top universities in this country; as a humanities major, that will at least help a bit with your first job. Are you an expat family? You know the phrase garbage in, garbage out? The advice you receive is only as good as the info you supply. No one here is out to dox you. This isn’t Reddit or TT; we aren’t sitting here investigating who you are. We’re parents, professionals, admins, profs/instructors with a lot of combined experience just trying to help.
Speaking to the very big misconception that you are doomed with a humanities degree: you are doomed if you believe you are doomed, but this is true for any major. You absolutely can achieve a great career with a humanities degree; I’m proof, humanities degree to marketing career to advanced degrees to firm owner to early retirement. All with…an English degree. What I did have was street smarts and a whole lot of hustle. As an employer I took hustle over connections all day long. You’re only limited by your ambition.

18 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but why are you spending so much time and effort trying to get an internship? You just started the school year and you say you have a job. I don’t understand the pressure to get an internship now. You should be concentrating on your studies. Yes, you want to get an internship for next summer, but most firms are probably just gearing up their recruiting for that now. I think you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself for no reason.

4 Likes

Sorry this was confusing. To clarify, I’ve applied to over 50 Summer 2022 internships (lots of companies had July deadlines for Summer 2022 Intern positions). Was rejected from all. Not currently looking for a part-time internship in NYC during the school year because I’m so overwhelmed with stuff.

You might think it’s absurd that I’m applying for internships 11 months before the start date. You’re right, but that’s how accelerated everything is now. No time for dilly dallying or being confused about your future. Things move FAST now, much faster than every five years ago.

1 Like

Are you looking for a finance/IB/consulting internship?

1 Like

For the record, I know lots of people who got IB offers for Summer 2022 back in April. That’s 14 months before the start date. Things move fast now, and CC posters seem a bit outdated on how competitive everything is.

4 Likes

I’m looking for anything that’ll pay relatively well for this summer. So yes, I’ve applied to all of the industries you’ve listed, but I’m also applying to a few other positions as well.

I have one kid who is a 2020 college grad and one who is a junior in college (same as you). Sorry, but all internships are not given out 14 months ahead of time. Everyone’s experience here is not outdated.

5 Likes

You’re right. Some of them are given out nine months ahead of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For the finance and consulting industries in NYC (among others) many, many of those do interview and hire 14+ months out from when the internships begin.

That being said, there are hundreds of companies which don’t. I’d definitely recommend expanding not only geographically but types of companies as well.

4 Likes

You currently attend one of these schools, and there’s a good chance you attended another:

Your legitimate concerns notwithstanding, I recommend you complete your degree at Columbia as you transition to career pursuits.

4 Likes