Transferring A Third Time From An Ivy to Alabama?

Your response style and some of your experiences seem very reminiscent of what a former poster Transferee1 discussed in a thread about fears of retaliation for transfers.

I hope you find a solution to all these challenges you are facing.

1 Like

My son more than 200 apps. Ended up on a team at a major auto oem with two kids from ga tech. He’s at Bama. One of the three has been told they’ll be invited to return.

All that sai when you are on the columbia side you are in the better position.

There are internships or summer jobs for every major.

2 Likes

My son is in engineering. While there are postings now, there will be postings well into second semester as well. Set up an indeed search with a general term such as banking. Or marketing. Leave location open. Set it up daily. You’ll get a gazillion leads every day.

Btw maybe you need your resume looked at.

It’s a competitive world but your response is 100% incorrect. It may be for some jobs but not most.

Was through this the last two years and will be again this year. Kids haven’t started yet…

Columbia will also have job fairs looking for interns.

Worst case you get a job at a mall or restaurant. Experience is good no matter how you get it.

1 Like

OP, I’ve already spoken to you extensively on PM. I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling. 50 no’s is not a lot. PM me and I’ll review your resume and work with you on securing an internship for next summer. Transferring again is not the answer. Socially, let’s brainstorm non-competitive club options to get you integrated. They exist at Columbia.

14 Likes

My daughter applied to 3 internships relevant to her major late Spring, interviewed for 2 and was offered 1. Started off via Zoom from home mid-summer and is moving to in-person tasks now. She had gotten the leads from an online resource recommended by college staff, where NYC organizations (including other Universities and Hospitals) post their positions.

And, No, we are not rich, have zero connections, and her parents were completely out of the loop during the entire process.

For someone who just started at CC this month you are full of blanket, absolute generalization based on (evidently) minimal first-hand knowledge.

I’m not at all offended - but concerned that it will lead you to perceive a distorted reality that will limit the options you consider feasible!

E.g., depending on how “random” you selected 12 out of many thousands of alumni, you feel competent to conclude how the majority middle-class graduates feel about their degrees?

Don’t know how much you know about the “scientific process”, but that “ain’t it”.

1 Like

My DD was an engineering major who never had an “internship” and she was in the heart of the Silicon Valley with a great GPA. And applied broadly.

BUT she did work in undergrad admissions and developed a program for her university. That was notable. When she realized she wasn’t going to get engineering internships each summer, she asked for full time summer work in the admissions office over the summers. They were very happy to give her work.

She created her own opportunity. I suppose she could have called her job in admissions an “internship” but she didn’t. She just listed it under employment.

Let’s just say…she has done fine since college graduation and is NOT in the field of engineering at all.

1 Like

FWIW, this is the time at my D’s school for applying for next summer as well. OP, isn’t wrong to be getting resumes out now.

5 Likes

Hmmm maybe I should talk to my son. I know he hasn’t even begun to think about next summer internships yet.

2 Likes

Look at subjects adjacents to your major. Say you’re doing American studies, what about switching to African American studies (yes, more employable)? If you’re doing Ancient studies, what about adding Government and focusing your Ancient Studies courses on roots of democracy, public life speeches? If you’re doing Art, why not add a few courses in Business Management?

You’re right, summer 2022 internship recruitment has started. But 50 applications isn’t that much. Look beyond NYC; comb through companies’ roster and look for people who have a background similar to yours (same county or same HS → Ivy, scrappy middle class kid…) then send your resume&cover letter…

There ARE non selective clubs. Quidditch, hiking, tutoring… + any of the cultural associations and identity support and expression are open to all interested. Hillel is usually very welcoming (you don’t need to be Jewish and they won’t try to convert you, that’s not the point).

5 Likes

I’ve got a daughter at one of the largest state universities in America. Merit scholarships are next to impossible to get, and only for students who have outstanding grades AND leadership.
Any National Merit $ started freshman year, so that’s off the table.
Alabama might wave out of state tuition, but that would probably be it. Another issue you’ll run it is trying to transfer anywhere with too many hours. If you’ve got more than 60 hours, many schools & majors may not accept you (check websites).
I’d stick with Columbia. Any degree from Columbia trumps degrees from many schools.
Stick with counseling. Start your own clubs or orgs. Be grateful for the opportunities you’ve been given!

5 Likes

Just an FYI for anyone reading this who’s planning on applying to Columbia — I was rejected for youth tutoring, youth mentoring, and the cultural organizations for my race.

Okay, either you mean they didn’t accept you as an officer, or something is wrong. Cultural organizations are by definition open to all who are part of that group (race, language, origin…) it would be illegal for them to decide you’re not Black enough or not Hispanic enough or not Filipino enough to attend their meetings or hang out in their lounge or participate in a festival or help paint banners. In fact, they’re typically open to all who are interested.
So, if they did, you have a case to bring to your Dean and to the Diversity Officer.
In any case they can tell you they dont need more volunteers in one area of service but they can’t stop you from volunteering at one of the many organizations that need volunteers.

4 Likes

You may inquire why. However all schools have competitive organizations whether greek or college radio. You missed the point of the message from @MYOS1634.

Find open clubs.

People succeed or not in life based on their attitudes, efforts and capabilities.

Start working toward the positive and not the negative as you continue to do. You will find in life being a downer will shut u off regardless of your educational pedigree. This is why you need counseling. To help you work through your issues.

Read the entire thread ? This is how you are coming off.

We all want well for you but only you can help you at first. That may mean going to the counseling office and saying. I need help

2 Likes

Most cultural / affinity organizations (and other clubs) at Columbia don’t have a general body (or if they do, it’s very inactive) and just have a core group of 10-40 students on the exec board. So I was rejected for an exec position, but there’s no general non-exec member.

Perhaps you should withdraw and save your money. It sounds like you aren’t getting much out of the semester

1 Like

You’re right, but my parents would kill me because they are completely obsessed with prestige.

Better to withdraw than get depressed or fail courses. Many people take a break in their schooling. It is not rare.

2 Likes

That is exactly what Tranferee1 was experiencing…

“ Are there any laws defending adult students against toxic parental helicoptering? This is an issue I’m encountering, and CAPS (that’s counseling and psychological services, for you) didn’t take it seriously and started feeding the parents information that they absolutely do not need to know .”

You seem to have a similar narrative and should read her threads as you are getting similar advice.

Similarly I would suggest you get counseling and take any meds prescribed by a mental health professional. People are trying to help you.

1 Like

My parents absolutely won’t let me take a break under any circumstances. They think gap years “are for losers,” and they’re worried about my financial aid being reduced (which is pretty likely as our income went up, which would increase our EFC).

Once again just like Transferee1…

“To outsiders, it seems endearing or like it’s just simply strict parenting, but in reality it’s suffocating and even harassing or abusive. And what’s worse is colleges say to you “well, who’s paying for it?” As if it’s a valid excuse. Lawsuit time.”

I suspect in both cases the parents have the child’s best interest and mental health in mind.

OP you mention you have previously received mental health support, I hope you are accepting the advice of those most knowledgeable and those that love and care for you.

1 Like