Transferring boarding school

Hi, I am a international 9th grader at a connecticut boarding school and want to transfer out of the school. I am going to sound really dumb, but I don’t really know any valid reason why I want to transfer and what to say when an interviewer asks me this. My current reason is I want a larger school as in students, harder academics, more competitive sports environment. But all these answer may sound like a prestige chaser to an admission officer which I slightly am. I am also going to sound really stupid because it is only a month in.

I am really worried about what to say when an AO asks me this. Is there any valid way to phrase it or valid reasons for me to transfer?

Also what are some tips for boarding school transfer applicants, the schools that I am applying to is really close to my school and knows each other well.

I know this is a really really dumb question but thanks!

So you are perhaps a month or so into the school year?

Academics will get harder. It is normal for schools to start a bit slow to give students a chance to get acclimatized. Also, while I do not know which school you are at, nonetheless it is likely that you will have a choice of courses in the future. You could select courses that are more interesting to you and/or more challenging.

In terms of university admissions, at least in my experience highly ranked universities accept students from a very, very wide range of high schools. I have seen two students from the same high school at a highly ranked university, but this was unusual in my experience.

I guess that this means that I also am having a bit of trouble coming up with a valid reason for you to want to transfer.

2 Likes

They can and will tell. In the nicest way possible, it is in your best interest to change that mindset completely. It’s not going to help, just hurt.

I really think it would be nice if you tried to stick it out for at least half the year to really see what’s up. It takes time to adjust and work will pick up. You mention that you don’t know why you want to transfer, so it’s probably best to stick it out.

BS only really accepts transfers from other BS if there is a clear reason why they’re transferring. These include

1. School A is clearly not a fit and the student is not thriving at School A but is a great fit for School B
  2. School A does not offer/isn’t a great school for a D1 level athlete in their sport, whereas School B has a great program.

I can’t really think of any other reasons, but feel free to add on.

1 Like

I forgot to mention I applied to the schools last year, don’t know how it’s gonna change but.

So you are reapplying to a high school that rejected you when you applied a year ago.

When I was applying to graduate schools, I was turned down by my “dream school”. I went to my second choice. I LOVED IT!!!

Years later I realized that my second choice had always been a far better fit for me personally. Admissions at BOTH schools had got it right. The school that rejected me did me a huge favor.

My suggestion is that you make a strong effort to do well at your current high school. Stay way ahead in your homework. Pay attention in class. Participate in clubs that are interesting to you. Treat people fairly. Make friends. See how it goes.

Admissions at both of these high schools have done it before. If you give your current school a chance, there is a very good likelihood that you will discover that they got it right also.

2 Likes

I am in awe of a young person who could uproot from another country and embrace the challenge of boarding school. And I have to imagine it could take a while to adjust, and the experience might not be what you imagined from afar. And it might be easy to now again imagine that life could be different at another school, and that their grass is greener, their food is better, the other teachers are smarter. But that is likely an illusion.

Sometimes we end up somewhere that doesn’t immediately make sense. Life doesn’t always go according to plan. But your job is to bloom where you’re planted. Give it some time. I bet you’ll see things differently in a month or two.

2 Likes

Reasons you might include could be better course offerings in your interest area (this is a weak one, since they’d have a hard time believing a 9th grader is that committed to their one interest area so you’d have to have sufficient interest to convince them), Better opportunities for research and club outings, and of course tell them you want a greater academic challenge. Make it clear these are the only reasons (plus whatever else you came up with), and say that you are fitting in great at your current school. They won’t hold it against you - top schools want kids that seek challenge.

I second all that everyone has said about investing your energy in making your current school a great fit. It’s not unusual for schools to offer “leveling” classes first year to ensure that everyone has the same foundation going forward. For some better prepared students, this may feel easy. Likewise, some schools ramp up the workload to give everyone time to adjust to all that’s new. This is all to say that you probably will find more challenge.

With that said, if you still want to pursue transferring, you will want to be as successfully as possible at your current school in all respects. Your transfer schools should offer what your current one does not. As for what to say to an interviewer (in addition to what that school has that yours does not), you can say – truthfully-- that the initial fit at the current school felt a little off but that it is quite possible that by March, you’ll want to stay put became you’re giving it your all. No school is excited by a perpetually disappointed student who doesn’t seek their own happiness. They also understood the timeline and that you can’t wait until next spring to make a move for next fall.

As for new schools, I wouldn’t reapply anywhere that rejected you last year. And truly, the prestige of high school matters not at all. This isn’t the point of life where you want to peak!

4 Likes