Transferring from Reed College?

Hi. Interested in learning more from students/or parents who transferred from Reed College. Where to? After freshman or sophomore year.

My son is a sophomore student at Reed right now. Not loving any aspect of it. Grade deflation is more than real. Social scene if you are into drugs is probably fine but not okay if you aren’t. Drugs are everywhere - heavy ones too.

My child is debating every possible option. Support at Reed doesn’t seem to exist and the dorm situation leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone able to help here?

1 Like

Sorry he’s having a negative experience. What’s his major? What’s your home state? What’s your budget, and is he receiving financial aid at Reed? What does his GPA look like? (I know Reed masks grades, but he’ll need something disclosed in order to transfer…) Is he willing to take a gap semester/year, since it’s getting late for a fall transfer? (Or potentially attend a community college before transferring to a public U, if he has enough lower-division coursework left to take…?)

This sounds as if your son has completed his first year and is now a rising sophomore. If he would like to continue his academic progression uninterrupted, he can look into colleges that offer transfer admission for the spring semester.

Others can help you better about finding colleges the transfer to if you mention:

• Academic interests, intended major, other relevant goals (e.g. graduate or professional school).
  • Current class level: currently finishing sophomore year, or will be a sophomore this fall?
  • Course work completed and grades / GPA.
  • State of residency.
  • Financial constraints and financial aid situation.
  • Any preferences other than less drugs, more grade inflation, more support, and better dorms?

In addition to the above, does your son anticipate that he would transfer to a college more selective than Reed, less selective than Reed, or equivalent to Reed in selectivity?

1 Like