Transferring into Nursing

<p>I am in quite a dilemma. I just got admitted to University of San Francisco for Nursing, and UC Irvine for my alternative major Psych (first choice was nursing). I ultimately want to pursue nursing. Right now, I feel strongly with double majoring in Nursing and Psych + Pre-med (not sure about pre-med actually, still thinking about it in case I decide to attend med school after some years working as a nurse). My dream has always been to attend UCLA for Nursing and Psych, however I got rejected this year. I have two paths I can take...</p>

<p>1) Go to USF for Nursing + Psych, then apply as a transfer to UC Irvine and UCLA's nursing programs + psych. Here, it is a guarantee that I will graduate as a nurse since I already am taking nursing in USF. However, transferring to a UC from USF, I don't know if I will be able to get in despite my GPA since UCs prioritize CCs and UC-to-UC transfers above all. Furthermore, transferring to nursing in general is one of the most competitive things out there. And, I don't know how reputable USF's psych program is.</p>

<p>2) Go to UC Irvine as a Psych major, then do an inter-campus transfer to their nursing after my sophomore year. I'll also apply to UCLA's nursing. Here, I will have a higher chance of getting into their nursing programs (since I'll be in a UC), however, my worst case scenario is that I don't get into both, and I am left in UCI with a Psych undergrad degree and no nursing. This is very risky for me to do, however it will increase my chances. Furthermore, UCI's psych program is much more reputable than USF's. I can also apply as a transfer to USF in this case if ever, but I do not know the statistics regarding UC-to-USF nursing.</p>

<p>This is all considering that I get a high college GPA for my first two classes (I am aiming for a 3.7 min GPA) and taking all the necessary prereqs for nursing during my first two years. I am also looking to volunteer in hospitals. I'm basically going to work my butt off during my 2 first years.</p>

<p>Which path do you guys think I should take? I have been struggling with this decision for many weeks now and I still cannot decide whether to take the "easy path" and just go to USF or risk it in UCI but having a higher pay off if things go well for me. I ultimately want the best possible education for me regarding nursing and psych, because after a few years working as a nurse, I plan to enroll in grad school and take my master's in nursing. It would be a completely different scenario if my end path is to become a RN, because nurses are in high demand so it won't really matter where I graduate.</p>

<ol>
<li>One in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. Take your direct entry Nursing at USF–that is, if becoming a Nurse is something to which you aspire. It is a very good program with a wide variety of clinical rotations, including Psych. It is a better program than UC-I, and in my opnion better than UCLA undergrad BSN my a mile. UCLA grad is a different story, but UCLA undergrad won’t help you get in–again only my opinion.</li>
<li>Don’t ever formulate a plan based upon transfer from one school’s nursing program to another, unless there is an established relationship between the schools and it happens often.</li>
<li>only consider mixing Nursing workload with Psych or Pre-Health courses with the approval of those at the school. But i would say that carrying more than the nursing load can be really difficult just in terms of time. USF may be more amenable to this, though their Nursing pgm is lock-step 4 years.</li>
<li>don’t go into nursing unless you’re committed to the vocation. Otherwise, you’ll not have the juice for when you really need it.<br>
A couple of side notes:
UC-I does take a large number of on-campus transfers into their BSN program. They’re growing their program and you could really make a connection with them.<br>
The most important thing to know about grad school in nursing is not which sort of special mix of undergrad supplemental courses you’ve taken, but rather your GPA, and your work experience. I don’t think undergrad Psych buys you anything.
If you want to someday work toward med school, then you need to know that you won’t be able to get most the core undergrad courses needed to put alongside your shadowing, research, and MCAT through the nursing curriculum. USF’s new Lo Schiavo Science Center (fall, 2015) promises to make pre-health majors more competitive though.</li>
</ol>

<p>cecilturtle gave you excellent advice.
Follow it.</p>