Transferring to Boston College as a 21 year-old sophomore on the spectrum

I’m a 21 year-old sophomore considering transferring to BC. I’m worried whether I’ll fit into the student body and if I’ll be able to have a supportive group of friends.

I’m similar to the student body because my parents’ income is high, my high school was highly regarded, and I’m from the Boston area. However, I’m also dissimilar from the student body because I started college when I was 20, am from an immigrant family, am on the spectrum, and, while I like to go to parties, I don’t like to drink.

Another concern is that I survived bullying and toxic friendships at my wealthy Massachusetts high school. That’s why I started college late: I needed time to myself to recover. People from the popular group all the way down to the nonpopular “friend” group I was in ostracized, humiliated, and seggsually harassed me. Are the type of narcissists who showed their true colors the type to go to BC? Is Boston College a safe space for people like me?

1 Like

Why transfer at all-- can’t you stay where you are?

1 Like

Agree…why transfer? Is your current college problematic in some way? Stay where you are, get your degree…and then move on.

The school I go to, has very low level academics, is a slight step up from a community college, and a degree from there is essentially worthless unless you want to be an elementary school teacher or a nurse. Many people either transfer out or get a master’s in their subject to be employable, but most don’t make enough money to live in the nice parts of Boston or NYC.

It is also a very dry campus. There are no parties except for school dances, like high school.

The problems are academics and social scene. The only good degrees here are elementary education and nursing, which I am not interested in. The academics in STEM and business are at a lower level than surroudning colleges. Graduates from here have lower salaries than I would like.

Socially, there are no parties except for school sponsored dances. It feels more like boarding school, not college.

Why not transfer to a larger university- U Mass, any of its campuses? Which would give you higher level academics, lots of social opportunities?

BC is a fine institution. But a larger university is going to increase your chances of making friends- remember that most students will have been there for two years already and have their clubs, EC’s, etc. established…

1 Like

Please explain this. I don’t know if any job that gives you a bonus in pay because you graduate from a “better” college.

And I agree with @blossom. Way more opportunities to find your tribe at a larger college.

3 Likes

What I mean is that people from BC and BU graduate with higher salaries than at my college for the same major. This is consistent across many majors.

It makes sense because my first year, I had a math minor, and they put me in Algebra II the first semester and Precalculus the second semester. As a result, I did high school math my entire freshman year, so I’ll be less competent in it than those who started off with Calc II their freshman year. See what I mean?

1 Like

Thank you for your advice about attending large institutions. There are so many people to meet even without the transfer students, so it’s easier to blend in…

1 Like

And what I’m saying is…I’m not sure that has to be true. Both my husband and I interviewed and hired college grads. They did not get paid a differential based on what college they graduated from. IOW, the directional university grad got paid the same as the prestige college grad…assuming they had the qualifications for the job (which mattered to us far more than the name of the college).

One of us was in engineering and the other in education.

What is your STEM major?

1 Like

Adding…this has nothing to do with your college. This was done because you didn’t have the necessary math preparation to do their higher level math college courses.

1 Like

I know a number of students who have attended Boston College. I think from their perspective they would say it’s a welcoming place. That being said, if you’re going to transfer as a sophomore? Or junior? There are some things to consider. First, check how many transfers, they accept. If I remember correctly, I don’t believe they take many transfers each year. Are you looking at other schools? In addition to Boston College? If you’re only applying to this one school, your chances of being able to actually transfer are significantly reduced.

Another factor to consider is the housing situation. My understanding is that Boston College guarantees three years of housing generally. I believe for transfer students they guarantee one year of housing which means that you could be required to find off-campus housing for one or two years if you transfer in as a sophomore.

Lastly, are you aware that Boston College has a fairly significant core course requirement? The only reason I bring that up is because some students find that unappealing or difficult to complete depending on which year they’re transferring.

This might also provide some additional information for you.

5 Likes

Why do you think that? I did Algebra II and Pre-Calculus in high school and got A’s in both. I don’t want to be rude, but this registration mistake was 100% the university’s fault

Thank you so much for this information! I’ll definitely check out the PDF.

I probably should have asked why you were assigned to these classes. Usually there is a reason. I didn’t mean to offend you.

When you got your schedule in college, did you attempt to get the courses changed? Why were you assigned to these courses? Was there a math placement test?

I’m only asking because…this is what you will be presenting to any college you transfer to…so…the reason could be important.

1 Like

Blue – can you post the courses you’ve taken at your current college? If you’ve already taken Algebra and preCalc in HS BC (or another four year U) is unlikely to give you college credit for what is usually seen as remedial coursework.

Perhaps we can come up with a good list for you to consider if you’ll post what you’ve taken and how you’ve done.

3 Likes

Umass amherst is a better choice. More people, more from less privileged backgrounds, lots of majors. Not to mention less than half the price.

3 Likes

Were you receiving help from the Student Ability Center? They are generally really good at advocating for your coursework. I worked a lot of years, at a high school with students on the spectrum, of all levels. Before they were accepted to their universities, we had already linked them up with the colleges’ Ability centers.

If you didn’t use the Student Ability Center, then did you advocate for yourself and attempt to advise the Registrar that you had already received credit for A’s in these courses in High School? Did you meet with the Registrar at your current school to explain the content of those courses? College students are expected to advocate for themselves, especially when they are wronged.

Yes, please explain how a degree from your university is worthless.

Also, I don’t understand how your prefer to go to BC because you’re similar to the students, from your income level, who originally harassed you, and yet, that’s what you want. You want a more prestigious school and to make enough “money to live in the nice parts of Boston or NYC”. Didn’t some of your HS classmates go to Boston College?

No one can tell you if you will deal will narcissists at BC. But you probably will find some. You find those types at every university. They may be your former classmates. Every school has its share of jerks and self-centered students. The trick is to deal with it through help from others and staff (Student Ability Center)

Are you currently safe at your school? If so, why would you transfer?

According to you:
You like to party, but you don’t like to drink, and your current school is a dry campus.
It is very confusing and a contradictory. Your next university will ask why you are transferring.

If you plan on transferring, apply to a large university where there will be a myriad of courses, activities, and restaurants. If I were you, I wouldn’t advertise that your current school is worthless. It’s not a view other universities want to hear from any prospective student.

The housing situation as a transfer at BC can be tough. They will guarantee you one semester, that’s it. I know several kids who have transferred in- hard to hit feel a part of things as you live off while your class is on campus.

I agree. Don’t bash the current college if you transfer. Not liking your current college isn’t the reason other colleges want to see. Be positive about “why the other college”.

1 Like