Transportation from Northern VA to University of Alabama

<p>We live in Northern VA and my son has applied to the University of Alabama. I was wondering how students from this area are traveling to campus? What are the best ways, flights, airports etc. Is there transportation from the airport in Alabama to the campus? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Some fly into Birmingham. Yes, there are shuttles from the airport to the school.</p>

<p>Also…see if your city is close to The Crescent Amtrak line. That line goes to Tuscaloosa (the total route is NY to New Orleans). Some students take that and then take a taxi to campus.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/transportation.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/transportation.cfm)</p>

<p>sasaki: We live on the fringes of Northern Virginia. Our oldest son, who graduated from UA last May, often took flights from BWI to Birmingham using Southwest. Those are direct flights. He also had flights from Reagan National to Huntsville (had a friend pick him up en route to Tuscaloosa) and Dulles (will be flying down in November to see a friend). The Dulles flights go through Charlotte if you use US Air. You also can fly Delta to Atlanta and continue onto Birmingham.</p>

<p>As for driving, we preferred the I-81 way over taking I-95 to I-85 to I-20. The I-81 route is a lovely drive through Tennessee. Stop at the Mayfair Dairy for ice cream. It’s worth it.</p>

<p>Also, my younger son has been accepted to UA for the Fall, 2014 semester.</p>

<p>We are from Fairfax County with a D at UA. Reagan National has several direct flights a day to/from Birmingham via US Airways. Usually it has been a smaller plane, easy boarding, and less than a 2 hour flight.</p>

<p>Thank you! I appreciate all your feedback</p>

<p>The Crescent line on Amtrak is listed here.
<a href=“http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/680/728/Amtrak-Crescent-Train-Route-Guide.pdf[/url]”>http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/680/728/Amtrak-Crescent-Train-Route-Guide.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I have taken it from Ttown to Atlanta. the seats are spacious, there is a lounge car and a dining car. There are berth cars, but really the seats are so good (like first class air but more leg room) with footrests that you could sleep in your seat.</p>

<p>The Amtrak line from Manassas, VA to Tuscaloosa would be perfect. Thank you so much for sending me the link.</p>

<p>We are from the Richmond Virginia area. My son is a junior. He has flown from Richmond to Birmingham a few times with connections in Charlotte or Atlanta. When we drive we use the same route as momreads, I-81. When my son drives myself he likes to drive from T-Town, through Atlanta and up 85 to 95. Silly kid!!</p>

<p>He has never taken the train, the times were never convenient and it takes almost 24 hours because it is not direct to Richmond. You should have no trouble flying as you are so close to DC. Sometimes it takes us 3 hours up 95 to get to a DC area airport. We are almost better driving to Raleigh. Good luck. My son really likes being at Alabama and hardly ever comes home.</p>

<p>hokiefan… I think flying might be the best option as that is a really long train ride. My son never coming home is what I am worried about but as long as they are happy it’s OK. Do you have a child at Tech? My daughter is there and absolutely loves it!</p>

<p>No, I don’t have any kids at VT. Since my whole neighborhood is Hokie obsessed, I kind of joined along when I moved to Virginia. My son is an engineering major and we also looked at VT. While the visit went fine and the education would have been terrific, he wanted to go out of state. Compliment that with wanting to play in a big time marching band and his scholarship, the deal was sealed. Now in his third year, he has never regretted his decision.</p>

<p>DD flys BWI to BHM on Southwest most of the time. The 2 free bags help a lot to exchange out seasonal clothes and get back the Xmas gifts.</p>

<p>sasaki: My oldest son rarely came home, and truthfully, we we fine with it. As a freshman, he was here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break. Then, he realized it was expensive and time-consuming to come for Thanksgiving, so he went to a roommate’s home for dinner each year. Most summers, he was traveling and study abroad. He was very happy with his choices, too.</p>