Transportation questions, car freshman year

<p>I'm going to be a high school senior next year and I am strongly considering the U. I'm visiting this summer! </p>

<p>This doesn't affect my decision on attending the school that much, but I am trying to see how I can have my car on campus freshman year. I see that I can buy a monthly pass at the metrorail station with a parking permit for $112 a month; I would have to renew an EasyCard every month, but it might be worth it. </p>

<p>So my questions - how far is it from the dorms to the metrorail station? Is it within walking distance? Is there a shuttle that goes back and forth? Am I just being crazy and I won't need my car at all freshman year?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>The dorms are walking distance to the Metrorail.</p>

<p>You won’t need a car as a freshman. Having one will make you everyones best friend and you’ll be getting inundated with requests to drive people places or to borrow the car. Leave it at home; if you really need a car you’ll know by January of freshman year.</p>

<p>Plus, there’s always zip car. I used it last year, and although it was relatively expensive, it’s always a good option for a freshman. It would probably be less expensive than buying a parking permit every month for the metrorail…</p>

<p>How much is a 1 day zipcar rental? 1 hour?</p>

<p>Nobody will be driving my car haha, I love it do death. My main reason for having it would just be the convenience of it. I want to have a car available if I need to run into town to get food and supps, or head over to the medical center or an occasional SoBe trip on a weekend. My dad also doesn’t like the option of my car just sitting in his driveway for 9 months since we have 3 other vehicles.</p>

<p>Zipcar might be a good alternative if it isn’t too pricey.</p>

<p>There are free shuttles and public transportation to get you wherever you need to go. I think a car would be an expensive hassle.</p>

<p>I found that the Zipcars at UM are $70 a day or $8.50 an hour. Pretty pricey but I mean it would cost $80 for cab fare to and from SoBe.</p>

<p>My financial gripe with leaving the car at home is that it’ll still have to be insured while no one drives it and it will depreciate either way - so why not have it with me at school? Edmunds TMV has my car depreciating $1,870 this year to next. It would be about $1,750 next year to the year after. When college costs $50k a year, what’s $1,000 for parking when it’ll be $500 the next three years anyways.</p>

<p>Clearly your mind is made up.</p>

<p>You really don’t need your car, and not having one actually provides a unique advantage in terms of grouping with friends to get places - you’re forced to get out there and band together with friends/roommates/floormates for a trip to the mall or grocery store as opposed to just hopping in your car and going alone.</p>

<p>One other thing to consider that happened this past year was a hurricane threat and all cars in the parking lots (with parking passes) were to be moved into the campus garages for safety. If you have a car at the metro, where would you move it for safety? Just another thing to consider.<br>
Also, would you drive it home for Thanksgiviing, Christmas, Spring Break? If you leave it at the metro, that is not particularly safe nor can you check on it.
There is a reason they don’t want freshman to have a car…probably many reasons. Perhaps you might rethink your plan.</p>

<p>@seekinguni - interesting aspect to consider</p>

<p>@florida1213 - The monthly pass works at any metro parking so I guess I would have to try to snag one of the spaces in the garage at Dadeland North & South or the South Miami station, which are all close to the University station. Not sure if I’d drive for those breaks since it’s 15 hours back to the DC area. Do I really need to worry about my car being stolen or broken into? I’ve heard The U is in a safe area.</p>

<p>As a freshman, my daughter kept a car at the Red Road Apartments. They rent out spaces for $500+ for the academic year. the space was in their secure parking garage. She only used her car to drive home (5+ hours) once or so a month. Good Luck.</p>

<p>That would be doable. Half the price and I wouldn’t have to renew a pass every month, plus, it’s garaged so the weather problem would be nullified.</p>

<p>Google says it’s a 17min walk from the campus, so that’s a slight inconvenience.</p>

<p>@gidget63: How long ago was your daughter a freshman? I know Red Road used to rent spaces but this past year learned that they didn’t do that anymore (allegedly…).</p>

<p>

You’ll be making much longer walks without a car, anyways.</p>

<p>My daughter was a freshman 2 years ago – so it is quite possible that things have changed at the Red Road Apartments. We went through their leasing office for the parking spot rental and signed a parking lease. Good Luck Gidget</p>