Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP) including Study Abroad Info

We just got the email too!

I want to invite you to attend a Trojan Transfer Information Session.

*If you still wish to study at USC, the best approach is to plan ahead. To assist you, we are offering Trojan Transfer Information Sessions. Led by a USC admission officer, this presentation will provide you comprehensive information on how to plan your course of study and prepare a competitive transfer application. With careful planning and hard work, you could transfer to USC as soon as your sophomore year. You will learn how by attending a Trojan Transfer Information Session in June. Reservations will be available in May, in your portal

Hundreds of students pursue this plan each year. Successful transfer applicants work with us to learn effective course planning, and then they earned very strong grades during their first year of college. They typically spend one year at a community college, though some study overseas in Europe (more on this below). They are now fully engaged second-year students on track to earn their degrees on time.

If you are interested, please review the details below and make plans to attend a June session. You should become familiar with our expectations of competitive transfer applicants, and our recommendations on institutions you might choose to attend next year in preparation to apply to transfer.

I hope you consider attending a Trojan Transfer Information Session. Whatever you decide, we wish you well as you continue your education.

Best regards,

Kirk Brennan
Associate Dean
Director of Undergraduate Admission
University of Southern California

2 Likes

Thank you for posting.

Could you share the “more on this below” information on the letter regarding overseas study in Europe? As my daughter hasn’t gotten the letter yet, we are curious on how this option is presented. Thank you!

TROJAN TRANSFER INFORMATION SESSIONS AND ADMISSION EXPECTATIONS

1. Overview of the Trojan Transfer Information Session
Attend a Trojan Transfer Information Session in June to learn how to be admitted to USC as a transfer student. During this information session, we will review the application timeline, expectations of the admission committee, course requirements, pre-requisites for your major, and teach you how to use USC resources to identify courses that satisfy those requirements.

It will take hard work, and it may go faster than you think. Later this month we will offer admission to students who faced the same challenge one year ago. We want this to work, and our expectations are high. We wish you the best!

2. Academic Expectations
There are no guarantees of admission in USC’s transfer process, but students who successfully complete all the following steps will be among the many competitive applicants for admission next year:

A. Earn nearly all A’s elsewhere in a full schedule of 30-32 USC-transferable semester units (45-48 quarter units) during the upcoming academic year (i.e., not including courses you have already completed). The average college GPA of admitted USC transfer students is 3.7, which is an A- average.

B. Complete one full year of English composition which includes a course equivalent to USC’s Lower Division Writing requirement.

C. Complete courses that satisfy USC General Education requirements, foreign language (if needed for your intended major), and lower division courses required and/or recommended for your intended major.

D. Complete Intermediate Algebra (if you did not complete Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II with a grade of C or better in high school), and, if applicable, make progress toward the math required for your intended major.

During the information session, we will help you understand how to formulate a course plan to meet these criteria, with your intended major in mind. Until then, please review the planning resources at admission.usc.edu/transfer to learn the essential elements of transferring to USC.

3. Where to attend next year
Before you register for a Trojan Transfer Information Session, choose the college or university you will attend. No institution provides a guaranteed path to USC. To find the most robust offerings of USC-transferable coursework, we recommend these options:

A. Community College
Each year, most of USC’s 1,300 transfer students come from a community college. We recommend this option because community colleges offer the courses and programming to help you meet the expectations outlined in item 2, above. We recommend you look into registering at a community college now, even if you are unsure you will attend, to better facilitate your course registration in case you do.

B. Study in Europe
Five universities in Europe have agreed to enroll students who hope to transfer to USC. These institutions are U.S. accredited, and the language of instruction is English. These programs will allow you to enroll in a competitive course plan due to a robust offering of USC transferable coursework. Please note, these schools are not strong options for certain majors (see more, below).

Here are links with more information about these programs, including simple application forms that will expedite consideration. Apply soon to give yourself plenty of time to consider your options.

American University of Paris
Anglo American University, in Prague, Czech Republic
Franklin University of Switzerland
John Cabot University in Rome, Italy
Richmond, the American International University in London

More on Europe:
Studying abroad is not for everyone. We have found that students who earned an un-weighted GPA below 3.0 during high school often struggle to meet our academic expectations while studying abroad. Living overseas can also present a culture shock – students should consider the challenges of living in a foreign country, where customs and language can be very different. Also, these institutions do not offer many lab-science courses, so students pursuing engineering or natural science majors are not likely to make progress towards their intended degrees. There are many exciting reasons to study abroad, but please be sure you consider these caveats carefully.

C. What about other four-year colleges or universities?
We do not recommend this option for a few reasons. First and foremost, we are unlikely to be able to help you find courses that will satisfy USC admission expectations. Also, your success in higher education depends on your level of engagement; if you enter with the intent of leaving, you will be less likely to be successful. You may even put yourself in a position of making a promise you intend to break.

4. Sign up for an information session
After May 1, when you have decided where you will enroll next year, you may sign up for an information session at admission.usc.edu/status. Sessions will be held in June, virtually.

5. Questions?
We are happy to answer any questions you might have. Find your USC admission counselor by visiting admission.usc.edu/find-your-counselor.

Thank you so much!
Can’t say enough how grateful I am to have found this forum! :smiling_face:

1 Like

did the email arrive for you?

Does anyone know, how many students are offered TTP?

In the email, it says “Hundreds of students pursue this plan…” so it doesn’t look like thousands of students are offered.

I recall reading the number 1200 last year, but I can’t remember if that was number of students invited or number of students participating (my guess is participating). At AUP’s welcome event last August, the speaker very specifically told us that 120 of their 500 freshmen were TTP students.

Past numbers I have show TTP offered to 1000+, under 200 go all the way through with it. A lot do the abroad and some come in from cc or 4 year.

No, my daughter has not gotten the email yet. We actually met with AUP representative in person today at USC, my daughter arranged this meeting herself. LOL. She is really considering this option and hoping to join her older sister at USC after a year studying abroad. With that, we will be calling the admission office on Monday to ask if or when we will be getting the email, just to be sure that this TTP is real for her.

interested in being roommates, followed you on instagram :slight_smile:

1 Like

same here

Hello Charlotte. How was your daughter able to setup an in person meet with a AUP representative? I called USC and they referred us back to admissions counselor.

As a current student enrolled at AUP in the TTP program I know roughly 100 kids in the same program, this is not counting the spring admits who came and are already at SC. One thing I have noticed about TTP which is different than a few years ago when my brother was in the program is that now some kids have different agreements with USC regarding GPA and guaranteed acceptance.

That’s interesting, is the different GPA agreement due to the different program? I believe the GPA for study abroad programs is less than traditional 4-yr or CC because they take into account the difficulties with language barriers and adjustment to new country and style of education etc.

These are two different programs. There was (not sure if still is) some “freshman pathways” thing - forget the name, but not the Viterbi program. It was more a guarantee if gpa hit and only offered to a few, not like TTP which is offered to many. TTP is not guaranteed acceptance.

I will see if I can find info on it l. In 10 years it has only come up year, so wasn’t sure it was still around.

Do you have any information on the marshall pathways program

Is it good or bad if you got a SGR as a TTP this early?

I actually think it’s sorta good, it means they are looking at your application and you are still in the running. If grades are good, it’s only a good thing.

1 Like