Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Thanks! I figured that had to be the procedure, and just found it odd that such a basic question isn’t answered in any of the TE documents and Q&A.

How did you apply for the TE itself?

At our export school/employer, the person in charge of this didn’t say we had to apply for TE—just to the school.

One TE school asked about TE on the Common App, so 23 answered yes.

I have asked spouse to check with the TE person at their school to see if we also need to apply. So far, she said just send her a list of schools, which we emailed her already.

The TE app is here: Tuition Exchange - Meet the Staff

It’s very simple, you are just putting in applicant info, parent info, and school names. Once you submit, your home TELO then has to approve you as an export, and once that’s done, the TELO sends each of the schools the official notification that the applicant will be requesting TE.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I read through it and see it says many schools require the FAFSA. Have you all found that to be the case?

Do I need to reach out to every TE school on our list and ask if they require it?

I took that as the default (have to ask each to make sure, since some require FAFSA). Instead of doing that, I’m just going to fill the FAFSA out (though I am 100% sure I would receive 0$).

Thanks to you all, our TELO discovered that we do need to use the application.

Thank you!!! :pray: :blush:

We would have been up a creek without this thread!

It looks like we missed one deadline, yet we accomplished a lot today. Spouse applied to all the schools.

We discovered one can apply to more than 10 by filling in the application a second time. TE mentions this in its instructions so this is a legitimate way to do it. If your school has different rules, of course, follow those.

PS: The school for which we may have missed the TE deadline doesn’t give much TE, so I’m not too upset about it.

@2plustrio Thank you for mentioning that September deadline. That led to me asking lots of questions and resulted in us finding the right way to submit TE applications. Phew!

2 Likes

Well dang it for 1 school for each of you! How do you find out what the deadlines are? I’ve somehow missed seeing those anywhere.

Spouse got the notice from the liason that the all the TE apps had been approved and dispatched so I’m hoping that means we didn’t miss any deadlines, but who knows.

If only we could get our kid to finish his essays UGHHHH

2 Likes

Wasn’t on our list but our home school won’t even let us apply anywhere until they give us the green light at the end of October!

Just went to their website and it says Dec. 1

https://www.stthomas.edu/admissions/undergraduate/financial-aid/tuition-remission/

You have your applications in so that sounds pretty good. We didn’t have that until last night.

I’m not sure when TE deadlines are.

For the school we missed, I was told we missed a deadline by my spouse. I have not seen any deadlines in print.

Someone else here (@maleitag) said they missed the TE deadline for Elon and their child was 4th with only 3 open TE spots?? Maybe they can tell us where to find TE deadlines. :thinking:

It’s confusing.

1 Like

Most deadlines are on the TE page with the school info and percent acceptance.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks. I had somehow missed that. I went and looked at my son’s schools and it looks like the earliest deadline is Nov so I think we’re good. I’m surprised that a few are so early, seems weird!

If she likes a city school I would throw Catholic in the mix. It is full tuition. My daughter is there on TE. So far so good.

2 Likes

It turns out we did not miss a deadline. We have now submitted TE applications through the TE website so should be all set for that part of the process.

It sounds like in the past parents had to go through a person at our school to apply for TE. It’s been changed so the college employee submits applications for TE through the website, which somehow sends it on to each college/university.

2 Likes

Thanks. D has been reluctant to apply to schools that have a religious orientation if she can’t find evidence that it’s not pushed. We have some Catholic and Jesuit colleges on the list, but they are all fairly low-key on the religious side. Speaking of which, we’ve made a lot of alterations to our original list, now that we’ve sent the TE form. Here’s where we are now:

LOW CHANCE: ACT score not in the 75th percentile, but at top of the 50th

• Boston University
  • Fordham University

SOME CHANCE: ACT just barely in the 75th percentile

• Clark University
  • Loyola Marymount
  • Syracuse
  • Sarah Lawrence
  • Ursinus
  • Wheaton (MA)
  • Fairfield
  • Providence

FAIR CHANCE: ACT well in the 75% percentile

• Eckerd College
  • Rollins College
  • University of Delaware
  • St. Louis University
  • DePaul
  • Lake Forest (on CIC, not TE)
  • Hendrix College

SAFETY

• University of South Florida (not on TE, but good scholarships + reasonable tuition)

Obviously using the 75th percentile is just one way to approach one’s odds and chances. It’s a good starting place, I think, but you also have to factor in desirability of the location. For instance, some of the schools in the “SOME” category are in areas a student might want to be in, so that likely would push some of them into the “LOW” category. Similarly, Hendrix’s academic profile is just as strong or stronger than many of the schools in the “SOME” category, but Arkansas is not a high-demand target destination, so they are in the “FAIR” category.

But all this TE is a crap shoot, as we know. D has USF as her safety school - even if she doesn’t get anything in the TE list, she’s happy with USF. That’s how I tried to approach this process - find a safety that your kiddo would be happy with (and USF is a good school - it’s not an academic safety, but rather an economic safety) and then you can relax on the TE anxiety front and just let it play out however it will.

Good luck to everyone and to your kiddos.

3 Likes

There is also the percentage of applicants who actually get the award. Some schools it is less than 10%, some 11-40% and some more.

1 Like

Yep, that too, though often that percent awarded TE seems (in my data anyway) to correlate pretty closely with those two criteria - (a) 75% ACT and (b) where the school is. My favorite two examples in D’s list: Hendrix, with a 75% ACT starting at 32, but in Arkansas, is 41-60% in TE. Eckerd, with a 75% ACT staring at 28, but literally on a beach in Florida, is below 10%.

As they say in real estate, it’s all about location, location, location! :slight_smile: :smile::

3 Likes

Great list! Our list still needs to have final child approval. I think extras could end up on the list (like Rollins or Salve Regina). Location matters a ton to him as well. However since he has low GPA (3.4) but high ACT (35), his academics wont get him TE to many of the places he would put on top of list so I am trying to get him to be realistic. We live in upper midwest.

Likely admit. Higher chance of TE/FACHEX

Xavier (OH)

Loyola-New Orleans (Louisiana)

Gustavus Adolphus (MN)

Baldwin Wallace (OH)

College of Wooster (OH)

Likely academic admit. Iffy TE/FACHEX

Stetson (FL)

Jacksonville U (FL)

U of North Florida

U of Redlands (CA)

Shenandoah (VA)

U of Pacific (CA)

DePaul (Chicago)

Possible academic admit. Possible TE/Affordability

Syracuse (NY)

Not on FACHEX/TE but maybes due to likely admit and possible financial affordability

U of Louisiana-Lafayette

U of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Northern Arizona U

Indiana University

Western Michigan University

4 Likes

Nice list - I know someone who worked at Stetson, and spoke highly of it (not just the college but the DeLand area). Our issue with Syracuse is post-TE price. I’ve read some people at this forum say that Syracuse will stack TE + some other money to try to meet tuition, but others have said they do not stack. So I’m not sure what they do. For us, if they won’t stack anything, probably out of our $$ range even with TE. DePaul, on the other hand - very affordable with TE!

The affordability after TE or merit is a consideration for us, too. A parent here on CC reported one school 23 is applying to has a required class that grades on a bell curve, so students who earn a 90 on a test might receive a C if lots of other students received a 90.

23 would not like that dog eat dog environment and we also would not want 23 to lose merit or TE due to a class like that bringing down the GPA.

The parent called it a bait and switch, because students lose merit due to the class and the school then saves money, I guess.

I found out another school 23 likes does similar. They offer money and then take it away in later years, so students have had to transfer due to the increased costs.

Syracuse is very expensive! We like it a lot but wow. $$$$

3 Likes