Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Our home school’s TE liaison’s child went to Syracuse on TE. He said they gave his son additional money that stacked on his TE.

What is the school?

1 Like

@AnonMomof2 I messaged you so that I wouldn’t be off topic in this thread.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! Thanks!

Might be worth looking at St. Lawrence in NY and Saint Anselm in NH.

S23 has a 3.4 gpa and 35 ACT.
He wants school spirit, updated student fitness center, multiple places to eat with decent food, friendly students, possible club sport opportunities with flag football, rugby, or esports. Hed love to be able to go to football games but I dont think thats a deal breaker. Must have solid music opportunities and an area nearby with shops/restaurants/rec areas.

Thoughts on these schools:
Any chances on TE?

Jacksonville U
Stetson
Loyola New Orleans
Bakdwin Wallace
Gustavus Adolphus
DePaul
Shenandoah
Syracuse
(May add non TE schools Northern Arizona U, Indiana U, and U of Minn TC).

If he gets admitted to Syracuse, he will automatically get TE. That works great if you can afford to pay the difference between the set rate and the tuition which is expensive. They also stack aid. Some schools at Syracuse are super competitive for admissions and others aren’t. For example, getting into engineering isn’t that hard, but getting into communications or architecture is very hard. Which school would he be applying for? We absolutely loved our tour there – it was a surprise hit. It was such an interesting school with a very fun vibe.

3 Likes

I don’t know what the chances of getting TE at Loyola New Orleans is, but I’d be very surprised if your son wasn’t accepted there, and probably with a good bit of merit aid to boot. Whether it would be the same as free tuition…probably not, but I think it will try to make itself competitive for your son.

I don’t remember Jacksonville U or Stetson having any student hangouts off or near the campuses. Jacksonville is off a main road but then down a hill to a campus set on the river. My daughter went to a sports camp there so she wouldn’t have walked off campus. we also attended a few games there so wasn’t looking to walk anywhere off campus for food or entertainment, but it seemed like a self contained campus to me. D had friends who went to JU and played there and liked it.

Stetson is in a small town although not that far from Daytona (a car definitely necessary to get there). My kids were not thrilled with it so we drove around a little and then left. One thing I remember is that the sports fields were quite a distance from the main buildings and dorms. One daughter was being recruited and she didn’t like where the sports venues were located (she didn’t like a lot of things about a lot of schools). We didn’t see the main gyms or work out spaces. She ended up at a school not too far away but was at a D2 school and both Stetson and JU are D1, so she only played them in fall ball, usually at a neutral location. Stetson is NOT a powerhouse in any sports and don’t recall there being a big sports vibe.

3 Likes

My son is at Syracuse with TE and Merit. Basically full tuition covered. But, NOTE: SU is no longer giving the TE to everyone. Confirmed with TE rep at SU.

5 Likes

Syracuse no longer gives the TE to everyone. I confirmed this with SU TE rep a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

For those looking for TE/FACHEX in the Midwest, another likely school is John Carroll University outside Cleveland. Pretty high admit rate and TE rate (11-40%), in relationship to it’s academic rating.

2 Likes

Well that’s too bad. That means their online info was inaccurate when I checked not long ago. I’m guessing they will still likely award it to a large number of students, perhaps like USC and CWRU. It was nice for folks to have a guaranteed TE while it lasted! Thanks for the info.

4 Likes

I think it says 11-40% now for Syracuse.

4 Likes

Hi everyone.

I have a D20 and an S23. Just thought I would provide a heads up about the TE numbers.

DO NOT rely on the percentage listed on the TE website for each school. When D20 was applying to colleges, we had a few TE schools on her list. I emailed each TE rep or made sure to talk to someone when we did our tours to get confirmation on the number of awards. They were all clear that the percentage I saw on the TE website was inaccurate. One rep confided that they tried to get the website changed, but they were unable to get their true number (1%) published. Some of the schools even said they were unsure if they would be able to offer any new awards that year. (For example, Dickinson had more students accept the award than they planned those last two years, and they were oversubscribed. They were thinking about halting new awards for a year or two to get back in line.)

So, I’m not suggesting you don’t apply, I’m just saying not to trust the listed percentages on the website. If it makes a difference to your planning, email the rep. They were all VERY helpful and forthcoming with information.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this. Ugh. We just sent off an application and paid a hefty fee and, now, who knows if the school really gives awards or not.

I guess I can at least contact the other schools.

Was the TE rep info for schools correct at least?

1 Like

Yes, the TE rep info was correct for the schools we contacted. They were all helpful and forthright with their information.

1 Like

Can someone speak to the issue of what metrics guide TE decisions? In particular, I’m interested in knowing how heavily TE decision makers base TE awards on test scores given that so many schools are now test-optional. If you are admitted based on GPA other academic merit criteria but don’t submit test scores, are you penalized/hurt in the TE award process? Any thoughts appreciated. Great forum.

1 Like

It depends on the school. Some will tell you the factors they base it on, other schools won’t. For example, U of Delaware explicitly states that they use only stats to determine TE awards. I’m not sure how a TO applicant would be evaluated in that case. In contrast, U of Pittsburgh says they determine TE awards “holistically”, but specifically exclude test scores from consideration. Most schools don’t get that specific and just say that it’s holistic, or that they use a “number of factors”. I interpret that to mean that they use basically the same criteria that they use for admissions or to give any other merit-based award. Which supposedly doesn’t penalize TO applicants.

2 Likes

I have heard that, at some D3 schools, coaches can help swing a decision in your child’s favor. Athletes can’t get sports scholarships at D3 schools, so other ways are found through merit or sometimes TE.