Tuition

<p>Im a senior from Tennessee, and I have 6 brothers and sisters. For this reason I have accepted that I will be paying for my own college. I have already been admitted to UA and the engineering program. Originally, I applied at UA because I heard they had good merit scholarships, and wasn’t really too interested. However, I visited with a few friends and stayed in the presidential dorms a few days ago and absolutely loved it. It quickly became my top school with UT in second place, and Miss. State in third. I got a 28 on my act and that qualifies me for 3500 a year and the engineering scholarship of 1500 a year. That totals to be 20k over four years. When I applied to UA months ago I checked out the costs of attendance and was surprised to see that it was estimated to be 18k for OOS students. So here I was thinking it was 18k a year when a friend told me that that was 18k, PER SEMESTER. I had not even noticed that. It seemed to be the only college that formatted the costs like that. This came as a set back because I was pretty much set on going here. Now I’m shying away from UA because I don’t want to come out of college with that kind of debt. I also planned on joining a fraternity, which would only increase the costs. Also, I’m not sure if I’ll get much financial aid, if any, because my dad is a doctor. He said we may get some because my twin sister, my older sister, and I will all be in college next year. Now it seems like my only choice is UT, where pretty much my whole high school class will be heading, or Miss State, where I qualify for in state tuition (plus some…i think). All I have heard about Miss state is that its in the middle of nowhere. I willbe visiting soon. Does anyone have similar situation or advice?</p>

<p>PS. Im taking the ACT once more on the 27th, hoping for a 30, which would get me 2/3 tuition at UA, but ever since I got my 28, I cant seem to beat it.</p>

<p>if you get a 30 and major in engineering, the engineering department will cover the other 1/3 of tuition plus 2500 per year.</p>

<p>i suggest you study really hard for that ACT. there is also another SAT in november, i think. idk if there is any reliable ACT or SAT prep that works, but even if it cost you some $$ it would be worth it if it got you a better scholarship.</p>

<p>you need to do more than HOPE for a better score.</p>

<p>with a full tuition scholarship, costs are around 10K per year. that may have changed some by now, though. i would plan for 10 - 12k per year if you have tuition covered. if not, then i think UA will be too costly if you are having to cover most of an OOS bill on your own and you have other less expensive good options.</p>

<p>Quickly sign up for the November SAT as well. That is the last test that is accepted for scholarships. If the Science Reasoning section on the ACT is bringing down your score, then the SAT may yield you a better score. For the SAT, Bama only uses the Math + CR. </p>

<p>If you were to get a 1320 M+CR on the SAT, and you were an eng’g major, then you’d get full tuition plus 2500 per year.</p>

<p>You say that your dad is a physician? How much will he contribute “per child” for college. Obviously we don’t know how much he earns, but if he’s been in practice for awhile and has investments, then even with three kids in college next year, your EFC would likely be too high to get any “free money” for FA.</p>

<p>So here I was thinking it was 18k a year when a friend told me that that was 18k, PER SEMESTER</p>

<p>I don’t like the fact that it is shown that way without also showing the annual costs. Bama isn’t the only school that does it that way, but I agree that by only showing one semester, a person could get confused.</p>

<p>mattcTN: Is your science portion of the ACT the lowest part of your score? If so, this advice should be helpful. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/act-preparation/1396723-act-tips-science.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/act-preparation/1396723-act-tips-science.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>CC is great for many things, ACT prep included. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>Yes Cuttlefish123, science is my lowest score every time. I got a 28 in June, witha 34 in english, a 26 in math, 26 reading, 24 science. I took the may act the month before and got a 33 in english, so I was positive going into the september ACT that I would score very highly in English and the rest of the test because I studied a good bit. However, on the sept. ACT i got a 26 in english, 28 math, 27 reading, and 23 SCIENCE: Composite: 26. I don’t understand how my english droppped 8 points, especially after getting a 33 and 34 consecutively. I didn’t find it much trickier than the previous, maybe a bubbling error…I don’t even know. Whenever I’m taking the science portion, I get to questions that really confuse me and I can’t think straight so I just guess and move on. It’s like I’m trying so hard to finish that I just can’t focus. I have never finished it on time. I am good in science in school, it’s just I need time to process things, time I don’t have on the ACT.</p>

<p>So, sign up for the Nov SAT…no science reasoning on the SAT…you may do a lot better.</p>

<p>You need to ask your dad how much he’ll likely pay towards each kid’s college costs. even if he can only pay a small amount, you need to know that.</p>

<p>Your dad may be overly optimisitic about qualifying for “free” aid. Where will your siblings be going to college.</p>

<p>mattcTN: M2CK gives great advice. Definitely sign up for the SAT and ACT.</p>

<p>The science section on the ACT is difficult to finish on time. My D had a hard time with it until she learned that it’s just a reading test. She practiced with old ACT science sections until she was able to complete the section in time. Just relax between each section. Pretend each section is a separate test. You can also save a minute by “knowing” the directions on the science section. BTW, my D did great on the ACT, including the science section. Hopefully, you will pick up 7 points there and also get a great score on the english section too. </p>

<p>Best of luck to you. :slight_smile: RTR!!</p>

<p>Mattc2n: S was in a similar spot a year ago. He got a couple days of tutoring, then kicked it into high gear. Bought multiple SAT books and worked daily on them. We started worrying about him and his sanity! But all that to say, if you are motivated, you can work a lot of math SAT problems over the course of the next month! Sounds like you’re doing well in English, so focusing on one or two sections, and going hard, you can definitely anticipate higher scores!</p>

<p>My son used “Boost Your Score Software” in combination with the Real Act book.</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Boost Your Score! The Unofficial Software Guide to the Real ACT: Software](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MS69OE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_1]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MS69OE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_1)
[The</a> Real ACT (CD) 3rd Edition (Real Act Prep Guide): Inc. ACT: 9780768934403: Amazon.com: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Edition-Prep-Guide/dp/0768934400/ref=pd_bxgy_sw_img_y/187-6817502-0695322]The”>http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Edition-Prep-Guide/dp/0768934400/ref=pd_bxgy_sw_img_y/187-6817502-0695322)</p>

<p>He didn’t prep much the first two times he tested and got 27 and 29. The third time after two weeks of fairly intensive study with the materials above, he got a 32. He thought that the software really helped. </p>

<p>Good luck to you. You can do it!</p>

<p>@M2Ck: I don’t know what excatly my dad makes. My older sister started her freshman year at a small private school up in the mountains in TN. I think tuition is around 40k. When they filled out the FAFSA last year my dad said they got nothing because they said he was capable of paying 70k a year which is unreal, especially for a man who has paid for private tuition up to grade 12 for every one of his 7 children. My twin sister visited miss state and loved it. Also on her list are South carolina and UT-chatt. My sister took out her own student loans so I expect to do the same thing. I feel bad that my dad has paid so much for my education so I want to pay it all by myself. </p>

<p>I have decided to sign up for the Nov 3rd SAT. Will my scores be back in time for scholarship consideration? I’ve already sent my 28 so i should be the deadline. The problem with prep materials is that I pay for all of my own stuff, so Im trying to stay away from software programs and numerous books, but I will consider it, especially if it gets me that 30.</p>

<p>The SAT: I’ve never taken a real one, but we take practice ones at school every year (PSAT).
Never scored to well, but I never really tried because its only PSAT. I’m hoping that since it has no science I can do better than ACT. I heard the math is easier and reading is simple. Also, I always run out of time on ACT, and I heard SAT gives plenty. Can someone break down all about test for me. Also, how does the ACT math compare to SAT, and is a calculator allowed?</p>

<p>I really appreciate all of the help.</p>

<p>*When they filled out the FAFSA last year my dad said they got nothing because they said he was capable of paying 70k a year which is unreal, especially for a man who has paid for private tuition up to grade 12 for every one of his 7 children. My twin sister visited miss state and loved it. Also on her list are South carolina and UT-chatt. My sister took out her own student loans so I expect to do the same thing. I feel bad that my dad has paid so much for my education so I want to pay it all by myself. *</p>

<p>Even with an EFC of 70,000 splitting 3 ways, you and your twin will not likely get ANY “free need-based aid” at any public univs. You’ll be given a $5500 student loan. No one knows what your older sister’s private school might do with an EFC of about $25k. They may still not give any “free money”.</p>

<p>You may feel like you should pay for all costs, but in truth you really can’t unless you get LARGE scholarships or you commute. You can only borrow $5500 for frosh year. You have to be reasonable. Ask your dad how much he can contribute to EACH child’s college costs.</p>

<p>You and your twin need to make sure you have some financial safeties.</p>

<p>I’ll ask him soon. For now I just want to focus on the ACT/SATs.</p>

<p>matt: You need to go to College Board. com . They have tips for scoring well. They also have a full-length “real” SAT test that you can take online. You need to prep for it. </p>

<p>The PSAT covers less material, is shorter, and doesn’t have an essay. Calculators are allowed. You need to look up all the rules on the website. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>Matt: Most study aids/books for the SAT and ACT test are available at your local library. In addition, check out your HS guidance office, some students donate their books after their tests are complete. There is also a lot of ACT/SAT online advice -some of which is just okay, but the xiggi method gets great reviews. You can find this poster right here on CC. xiggi has been around a long time and is still active on CC.</p>

<p>Practice, Practice, Practice…and when you take the test; have something to eat (protein based) before the test, get a good night’s sleep prior to the test, stay hydrated, dress in layers (too hot, take a layer off), and use the break time to walk and stretch. Don’t over-think but stay focused and be confident. Good luck with the tests.</p>

<p>Matt have you considered Tennessee Tech in Cookeville. A well respected Engineering program, cheaper than UTK (Tuition around $7K per year), UA and Miss State and you will still get the HOPE Scholarship (unlike UA and Miss State) They are also more generous with the merit aid than UTK.</p>

<p>On another note - another vote for practice, practice and practice the ACT/SAT test. That helped S raise his score by 5 points.</p>

<p>mattcTN, the prep materials my son used were $35 - $40. Maybe you can get them used on Amazon to save a few dollars. That’s a pretty small investment if it helps you get scholarship $'s.</p>

<p>Like others have said, do a lot of practice tests and focus on your weak areas.</p>

<p>@riprorin: SHould I order that software guide to the real ACT even though the test is on the 27th? At the earliest, it will probably arrive on wednesday? Is a week and half enough?</p>

<p>@galaxyfigment: I have visited TN Tech. I know it is well respected, but its just not one of my favorites.</p>

<p>Matt, I’d send you my copy but my son is taking the test again himself. </p>

<p>A week and half isn’t ideal, but I’d say it’s worth it. Plus you’ll have another chance in November.</p>

<p>The software is most useful in combination with the Real Act book so you’ll need that too.</p>

<p>There are also formulas in the software that you can pre-program into your calculator and use during the exam. My son thought that was somewhat helpful.</p>

<p>I"ll go ahead and order it. I already have a copy of the real ACT book.</p>

<p>For the SAT is there any prep materials as good as these? I have the Barrons SAT book.</p>

<p>When I signed up for an account on Collegeboard I put my name as Matt. However, it says that if the name on your ID doesn’t match the name on your ticket, you will not be admitted. The name on my ID is Matthew. Do you think it matters or do I need to wait til monday to change it?</p>