Do I have a chance at the University of Alabama?

Hi, I graduated back in 2013 trying to finally get back into school since my finances are finally in good enough shape. I graduated with a 3.1 gpa and an ACT score of 21. The University of Alabama has ALWAYS been my dream and I am terrified of being rejected. I am faxing over an essay and both my bosses are faxing them recommendations - I know they aren’t required but they are suggested for students who feel their grades are not sufficient. Honestly with a 3.1 gpa and 21 act score do I have a chance in getting accepted??? Thanks in advance! and Roll Tide!!!

I’m confused are you talking about going back and getting a second degree? Or did you take time to go to college after you graduated or??

I believe the OP is saying that s/he graduated from high school in 2013. I think we need to know whether the OP is applying in-state or not, but my guess is that the GPA/ACT is on the low end for the state flagship. UA states on their admissions site that 1/3 of accepted students scored 30 or higher on the ACT, and a 21 would put the OP at or below the 25th percentile. Alabama is probably a reach. What about another campus of UA?

Just to add my two cents; depending on where you live, also consider attending a community college first. Work hard, get good grades, and then your high school record is just fine. CC is much less expensive and honestly a great introduction into college-level work. Plan ahead with your intended major, carefully consider the degree requirements at UA, and take classes that support that end goal. If you are in-state, complete a STARS agreement while attending CC to ease the transfer process.

In other words: Start with the ending in mind. Best wishes!!

I wasn’t able to go to college as soon as I got out of high school due to the face I had been living on my own with a roommate since I was seventeen. I didn’t have the money for school and I had to put food on the table and pay bills. I from Tennessee, if I do not get accepted this time around I am taking classes for the ACT and aiming to accomplish a 32 in order to get scholarships. I know it is a long shot but I’ve accomplished a lot most people thought was impossible. My major is in accounting I have two recommendations that have been sent to the university; one from the CPA office I work with part time, the other from the owner of the company I have been employed with for three years. I have also submitted an essay. Do the recommendations, essay, and my living in TN help at all?

*fact not face

You’re going to pay out of state tuition since you’re from TN. Your test score is the limiting factor for your admission right now. Just get a test prep book and practice like crazy and bring your score up to about 25 and you should have no problem.

I was planing on doing that but unfortunately there is no way possible to get a new ACT score in and sent before enrollment deadlines for this fall semester. But I’ve worked WAY to hard for all this to give up just because of one rejection. I am planning on taking every act test I can if not accepted this go around. I’ve already started studying because I have the feeling I won’t be getting accepted this time. Thanks for the input everyone! I’ll post on the day the letter comes in but I’m sure it won’t be good news :frowning:

Good luck to you, RollTideRoll5150!

thanks!

You could always transfer to UA at a later date if they don’t accept you. Just do well where ever you go, and UA will likely let you transfer there. But read the info at this link: http://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman-req/ Looks like you have a good chance of being admitted, but keep in mind that UA now rejects almost half of all applications. I would contact UA and ask them if any ACT scores that come before this summer could increase your chance of gaining admission. Also, ask about Crimson Edge Program.

I’ve seen freshmen with lower GPAs and ACT scores than that get in, but they were Alabama residents. Would it be possible for you to move to Tuscaloosa, get a job locally and go to Shelton State Community College for your first two years? You could eventually qualify as an in-state student…I’m not sure what SSCC’s requirements are for in-state status, but I suspect they are less rigorous than UA’s. I would at least get my basics square away in a junior/community college and save a pile of money that way.
Whatever happens, good luck! and Roll Tide!

I logged into my bama account and it had a new tab called student and also a link for me to pay my freshmen deposit. It said congratulations you have been admitted as a freshmen for 2016 fall semester. This means I’m accepted right?! I haven’t received a letter yet but I don’t think they would have me pay a freshmen deposit and tell me congratulations. I’m 90% sure I got accepted and 150% I can’t breathe lol

@RollTideRoll5150 You should be in - double check by clicking on the Academics tab and then scroll down and in the left column, there is a section called “Admitted Undergraduate Students”. If you can click on anything in that section, you should be good to go! You can also click on the Crimson mail icon just under the MyBama logo on the upper right and you may have an email there. My D got her letter after the website changed. Congratulations!

I do have the admitted undergraduate students with the freshmen enrollment deposit option, orientation registration, bama bound evaluation, math assessment, and foreign language assessment. My crimson mail has nothing new in it. About how long should it take for an email stating if I actually got in or not? I don’t want to tell anyone until I’m 100% positive I’ve been accepted.

Also, does anyone know about these assessments? I clicked on them they gave me a link to go register to take them. I am not sure if they are for scholarship purposes or if they are required before being admitted to the university.

I also have a ton of new scholarship links…

The math and FL assessments are to determine which math and level of FL class to put you in. They’re not for admission or scholarships.

I agree with the other poster about going to Shelton State for some of your courses first, and when you are eligible for in-state tuition. You will gain skills as a college student, and build up on those beginner classes - which you may have certain classes to take, like math that is pre-degree (doesn’t count towards your degree). Have your job in place, your expenses covered, and gain your footing. Good luck!

Since you’re OOS, how to plan on paying the high OOS rates?