Tulane Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

Anyone else concerned with the metrics published on Tulane at college score card by US Dept of Education? I have not seen another school with a transfer rate of almost 1/5 students[College Scorecard | College Scorecard]

Note: image is for started college at Tulane. 29% of transfers in- transferred out bringing total to 19%, i.e., Buyer’s remorse is prevalent

But if you make it Started College Here and switch it to Full-Time then the stats switch to 84% graduated, 14% transferred, and 3% withdrew. I suspect that most people here at CC would be starting as full-time students and not part-time. I think Tulane’s part-time students would likely be locals who are trying to become credentialed in something and realized that the price for the courses (and not the full-time colllege “experience”) wasn’t worth it as compared to a less expensive public option in the area.

Are you suggesting 14% is good? Do you know of a “peer” school anywhere near this range? While true the filter you describe likely best represents students on this site, I would argue a 29% transfer rate for prior transfers should not be dismissed. From any vantage point, these numbers are extremely high. The open question is why ~1 in 5 students transfer and why is the overall graduation rate 67% (> 1 in 8 withdraw)

According to USNWR, Boston University, Brandeis University, Case Western Reserve, and Tulane are all ranked as #42, and all are private universities (U. of Wisconsin - Madison is also listed as #42, but as it’s a public school, many might not consider it in the same situation as Tulane).

For each row it is the university: % graduated, % transferred, % withdrew

• Brandeis: 89%, 8%, 3%
  • Boston U: 87%, 10%, 3%
  • Case Western: 84%, 13%, 4%
  • Tulane: 84%, 14%, 3%

I’m not suggesting that a 14% is good, but USNWR suggests that the above are peer schools, and Case Western & Tulane are fairly interchangeable with their percentages, and worse than the other two, but not a universe apart from them, either.

And if you want to look at students who transfer in to these universities, here are the results (with percentage of transfers in bold):

• Brandeis: 93%, 5%, 2%
  • Boston U: 86%, 9%, 5%
  • Case Western: 83%, 11%, 6%
  • Tulane: 81%, 14%, 4%

Brandeis seems to be the standout when looking at these metrics of #42-ranked schools, and Tulane’s the worst, but again, I don’t find it to be tremendously worse. Feel free to investigate the causes of those numbers and see if you think any concerns raised would be applicable for your family, but I don’t think that Tulane is an outlier here.

Would someone mind posting if you connect with the admissions office on this January 15 deposit deadline? Also hoping it was a typo. Thanks!

1 Like

I would also be interested to know. I’m assuming the January 15 date was intended for the ED applicants since the Tulane website shows May 1 as the deadline for EA applicants.

My son received an email today from Tulane with the correct date of May 1 for the enrollment deposit.

1 Like

My daughter was accepted EA with no test scores either. I was hoping for merit money, but it sounds like most of the merit aid was awarded to those that submitted test scores. Did anyone get merit without test scores?

1 Like

D got in EA, honors college, with $10K/year scholarship. 3.9 UW GPA, 7 APs, great EC and essays, lots of expressed interest. One of her top choices, so she is psyched! Just saw that they only accepted 10% EA this year. Crazy. Tulane is harder to get into then sone ivies. Not sure why.

3 Likes

My daughter received a little merit money. 10,000.

2 Likes

This week, my rejected son got a Tulane brochure entitled “Financing Your Education”. Hmm. :slight_smile:

My daughter said quite a few people transfer from Tulane but she only knows one that left to be with more friends at UT-Austin. Cost may play a factor and they’re comparably ranked. I don’t think that student was majoring in business or engineering.

My assumption is that Tulane is cutting down on transfers by focusing on those that show lots of interest and want to be there. They’re an analytical university with focus on yield, rankings, etc.

2 Likes

A few comments from different threads. My daughter is a sophomore in Altman program with Stamps, son graduated 21 on ROTC scholarship
Transfers: daughter only knows one transfer in her 1.5 years and was for personal reasons half related to Tulane half related to personal issues.
Big Scholarships: two years ago so Jan 2020, Paul Tulane and DHS were released on a Friday. Daughter got an actual rejection letter. Then on Monday got an email with an invite to interview for Stamps. So while they do pull applications for the Stamp from DHS/PT the notifications were not the same. I do not know if this is how it was handled last year.

1 Like

Typically if you are low incomes and triggering a high amount of need based aid colleges will waive the majority of the deposit. Some will have a commitment document to sign in lieu of the deposit.

Was an application fee waiver used when they applied? And have the FAFSA and CSS forms been sent? It looks like Tulane focuses efforts on helping families with incomes under $75,000 per year, but there is no info on the waiver process.

When logged into the portal look for options for those with financial need.

Same. Deferred on EA and then the big financing envelope today. Weird.

2 Likes

D accepted EA, honors with merit. Once you meet a certain academic threshold demonstrated interest key. GC said he was talking with AO about kids in her school who applied and when they got to my D the AO remembered her as the only one who attended a particular virtual event. Was basically 1 on one with AO. Visited but not officially.

1 Like

What should I put for the “Anything you’d like to tell us” prompt for showing continued interest after deferral?
Should I put something quirky like “I thought I would get in without showing demonstrated interest. I’m not giving up because I’m still trying to achieve that goal.” ?

You’re showing some demonstrated interest by filling out the LOCI. That response will help the admissions office make their decision. :slight_smile:

So
to answer my question
 should I put something quirky like the response above?