Tulane University Early Decision / Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

I would be more interested in the yield rate excluding ED applicants. The more ED you accept, the higher the yield rate.

8 Likes

I have never seen yield broken out by ED vs. other rounds, but yes, for any school as the percentage of class filled via ED increases so too does the yield percentage. For Tulane and this cycle where the new admissions leadership has indicated that they are aiming to take fewer from the early rounds it will be interesting to see what impact that may have on this cycle’s yield.

2 Likes

Some stats from Tulane’s most recent CDS:

31615 total applications
3621 total admitted
→ 11.45% overall admit rate

1843 freshmen enrolled / 3621 admitted = 50.9% overall yield

ED:
1258 admitted / 1853 applications
→ 67.89% ED admit rate. Assume 100% yield, or very nearly so.

RD:
2363 admitted / 29762 applications
→ 7.94% RD admit rate

RD Yield:
1843 total freshmen enrolled

• 1258 enrolled, admitted from the ED round
    = 585 enrolled from the RD round

585 enrolled from RD / 2363 admitted in RD = 24.76% RD yield

That is why they admit such a high percentage in the ED rounds – their yield is about 25% in RD. They are extremely sensitive to interest, or what they perceive as interest.

2 Likes

Well
 with those kinds of stats, it kind of puts to rest anyone stating admission was based on yield protection.

Congratulations on your admission and your fantastic work in high school. Very impressive.

4 Likes

The problem is we all are lead to believe this is a meritocracy. It isn’t. None of it is. There are simply more, on paper, qualified kids than spaces - and TO, covid grace and the real problem with grade inflation - everyone who applies believes they are qualified when in years past some of them wouldn’t have even attempted. An applicant is evaluated based on their own peers from similar or the same schools and how they took advantage of what opportunities were available to them. So a student from a disadvantaged high school that didnt offer high math courses or AP or poor students unable to pay for dual enrollment etc, are viewed under a different lens focusing on their achievement relative to opportunity. . As they should be, in my opinion. But an applicant like my daughter, boarding school, all advanced, honors etc, varsity athlete etc etc honestly, are a dime a dozen applying to TU, coming from BS’s all over the northeast. I am not diminishing my daughter (she actually was accepted) and she is phenomenal in my opinion, but our expectations were set from the start - on paper she is amazing, nothing more she could have done. A point here or there or a class selection here or there, wasnt going to impact her college admissions chances. But all the stellar work kids do is get them a spot on the field, not an automatic invitation to join the team. Because of all of this, colleges are trying to figure out how to sort out their applicants to the most interested and most engaged and who will be most beneficial and offer the most diversity to the school community. “Who gets in and why” is hands down, my most favorite, quick read book on this subject and helped us manage all our expectations (I had 5 kids in 5 years and we have just finished kids 1 and 2 college app and acceptance process, 3 more to go)

3 Likes

Having had a niece graduate Tulane, and discussions with many of her friends, Tulane and Miami are 2 of the top schools who worry about their yield protection. So, for example, take my daughter. Biomed major, 4.5 gpa, 34 ACTs, 11 APs with scores of all 4 - they defer her bc their engineering school is not high ranking (ranked 124 on US News). They know Tulane is not her number 1 choice, so they defer her to force her to show her interest in the school. My niece’s boyfriend transferred to Tulane as a philosophy major - that checked a ton of boxes though his academic history was poor at best. It’s just the way admission is done there, regardless of what their admissions people say.

3 Likes

Outside of the LOCI, how should a student show demonstrated interest if they’ve been deferred. The admission blog about deferrals says twice not to feel pressure to fly there for a visit, but is that what they really want?

exactly. so much goes into the decisions behind the curtain.

ask to be ED2. I honestly think that is the only way. Had this discussion with my niece last evening. She was deferred but she doesn’t want to commit ED2 for financial reasons which is totally understandable. I do not know if this is recommended, but if the only thing holding her back from ED2 is financials, Id call up the admission rep and explain that and see their suggestion or find out the details of being able to back out if finances aren’t what they expected. At least that is what I told my niece.

I agree about switching to ED2 is the best shot at acceptance. I have a sophomore at Tulane that was admitted EA. I think her interview pushed her to an accept (she said it was an amazing interview). Her 7 suitemates were ALL accepted ED1 or ED2 (several switched to ED2 after a deferral in EA). I have a current senior that took her chances with EA at Tulane. Similar stats to her sister and she was deferred. We thought maybe the sibling connection might nudge her into an acceptance without doing ED, but it didn’t work out. My senior likes a lot of schools and really wants to decide in March after she sees where she gets in. Unfortunately, I think that means Tulane is not going to be an option. It stinks because she really loves Tulane and the idea of being at school with her sister. Oh well!

2 Likes

In some respects, I understand why yield protection is actually important (or could be seen as such by a school):

• If your RD yield is low, you have, in essence, wasted a lot of time reviewing a lot of apps from kids who decided not to attend. Time is money.

• Some kids and parents pay attention to yield, and to some of them, higher yield means higher quality. Such a perception may, over time, bring negative effects.

1 Like

has their been an update. I thought that 12/24 was the release date for aid? My daughters just says under review after they asked for w2’s and a signed tax return. Im nervous.

My recommendation would be to tell her that transfering in sophmore year would most likely work out and to just keep that idea in her back pocket where ever she ends up freshman year. I know its not ideal but if you really want to be somewhere, 3 years is still a significant chunk of time to spend at a college and reap all the benefits. My observation of “friend groups” is that it is so volatile freshman year. My D has a completely new set of friends this year which is her sophomore year at Tulane.

Still nothing in my daughter’s portal. Any update for your daughter’s?

nope.

1 Like

Agree, Very impressive record. Congrats! I hope you do choose Tulane. My D is a sophomore and is very academically oriented too but loves the social scene mix at Tulane. I love that you are a skier as we are from New England and are all skiers, too.

3.68 TO on the low side but we were hoping with ED it would be enough. They took 2 from our hs and my DS was the lowest of the 3

Any ideas when Deans Honor and Paul Tulane will be announced?

1 Like

Tulane’s website says “late February”.

https://admission.tulane.edu/tuition-aid/merit-scholarships

Yeah saw that but they also said early admissions decisions would be 1/15 so just wondering if anyone has heard otherwise.