Tulane vs Miami help please

<p>I've narrowed my decision down to these two schools, but can't decide between them. They both meet my basic needs: strong academics, warm/hot climates, beautiful campus, in/close to culturally rich communities, and fun/happy students. I'm planning on pre-med, but I know this may change. I got into the honors program at Tulane with $25k scholarship and UM with a $24k scholarship and I'm in the Foote Fellows program at UM (which means I'm exempt from general education requirements). I don't really know if not having to do the general education requirements in a big deal, anybody know? </p>

<p>I know the UM has a much stronger athletic program, but that isn't important to me. </p>

<p>Here is what is important to me:</p>

<p>1) Being in a healthy environment is hugely important to me, particularly the food. I won't be able to get everything I want in the dining hall so having access to Whole Foods and a kitchen is important. I know I can get this at Tulane, I'm not sure about UM. I know the water and air quality at UM is excellent, not sure about Tulane/New Orleans. I also heard that the dining hall at UM has organic foods, or at least not full of pesticides/antibiotics/hormones. Anybody know if that's true?</p>

<p>2) Interesting professors/classes. </p>

<p>3) Social life. Laid back atmosphere at Tulane fits me well, but concerned that us girls far outnumber the boys. Loved South Beach...do students hang out there? Is the social life UM great even if your not into clubbing and sports? I won't have a car.</p>

<p>4) Being warm. I really like the warm/hot climates and was turned off by the freezing class rooms and libraries and dining halls at both UM and Tulane. </p>

<p>I would really appreciate any comments/insights! Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>(I posted the same thing on Tulane site).</p>

<p>The schools are similar academically, and it looks like your financial
Packages are similar. I just think that New Orleans would be a way more interesting environment than Suntan U!</p>

<p>As a current student at Miami, and having a brother who is a senior at Tulane, I believe I can really help you answer some of your questions out. I’ll try to be as honest as possible!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>There is a Whole Foods within walking distance of UM and one down on Magazine Street in New Orleans. The dining hall at UM caters to vegetarians and their food is locally grown and free of a lot of pesticides. I’m not 100% sure to what degree, but they advertise that their food isn’t disgusting. I’m not sure about Tulane though. I ate in their dining hall a couple of times but didn’t notice anything out of the normal. As for air quality… yeah, I think that’s kind of a ridiculous thing to base a college decision on. They’re both in cities, surrounded by neighborhoods littered with trees and parks. </p></li>
<li><p>Both cities have incredibly interesting people that live there that teach classes. The professors that my brother had at Tulane were lively, helpful, and very nice to him throughout his career. I can say the same thing too at UM.</p></li>
<li><p>Both schools are in cities, so there’s always something go on and off campus. However, be forewarned about UM. It is a socially challenging school. What does that mean? It means that personal relationships (as in friendships) are huge here. If you’re a quiet and reserved person who keeps to herself, Miami would be difficult to adjust to. Everyone hangs out a lot outside of class. Don’t think of it as a turnoff for the school. It’s great to have such a social school that’s always looking to do things. Whether it’s going to the beach, going to football games, going into Downtown, or just doing a day trip, you’re always around people.</p></li>
<li><p>You might hate the coldness of the buildings’ AC now, but after a week of walking around in either school in August and you’ll be loving it.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I hope this helps! Both schools are great. I love Miami, it’s the perfect balance of academics, athletics, and a social life. Everyone here has their schoolwork at the top of their priorities, but at the same time we love to relax and enjoy the Magic City. I applied to Tulane, got accepted with a scholarship as well (I got one from Miami too) but the main decision for me to go to Miami was that I wanted to go somewhere new. My brother had already established himself at Tulane and I wanted to make my own path. Either choice will be great, good luck!</p>

<p>londondad - So, by SuntanU, you of course are referring to most culturally diverse college campus in the US, right? Which is in very close proximity to arguably the top vacation destination in the US, right? You’re right, there’s nothing there… </p>

<p>Also, don’t underestimate the freedom of choice that the Foote Fellows program allows you.</p>

<p>Just to clarify, I love Miami, particularly South Beach, but for a week at a time,once a year, which I usually do every Easter. I just think that there are other cities, New Orleans, Boston, DC. New York, etc that would be a lot more interesting to spend 4 years of college in.</p>

<p>Magics, thank you for your input! I love an active social life and going out. I am turned off by excessive partying - do you have any insight how much of the social life revolves around that? tx</p>

<p>

Just look at the requirements: <a href=“http://www.as.miami.edu/undergraduate/bachelors[/url]”>http://www.as.miami.edu/undergraduate/bachelors&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You’re exempt from about 42-60 credits, which is roughly 5 to 8 credits PER SEMESTER for 8 semesters… the upper estimate (8) is probably around half of what the normal undergraduate student would take with requirements and a major. The freedom really is a lot with being a Foote Fellow.

LOL what makes any of them more interesting than Miami? If anything, they’re just as interesting if anything, but not more. Miami is an international city.</p>

<p>Sure thing Forerunner. Essentially at Miami, there’s a study hard party hard mentality. Sunday through Wednesday nights the school is busy in the library working hard. But Thursday through Saturday night, there’s some type of frat party, house party, or some other event going on. Not to mention that Thursday nights are a big night to go to Coconut Grove. If partying isn’t your cup of tea, there are kids that share that belief too.</p>

<p>

I really don’t get this… What is there to do for underage students, particularly guys (since everything’s easier for girls) in terms of drinking/bars/clubs in the Grove?</p>

<p>Most of the clubs and bars don’t, from my understanding, card girls who could potentially pass as over 21 and some people have a fake id (which I don’t recommend, by the way… I know someone who attends CU Boulder who has been caught with one, and it’s just not worth the potential consequences).</p>

<p>If you’re in science classes, don’t plan on doing anything on Thursday nights or Friday afternoons. A lot of chemistry classes have their exams on Fridays at 5PM. Worst. Exam time. Ever.</p>

<p>

That’s why I’m asking, lol… I’m a guy, I’m 18, definitely cannot pass for 21 or anywhere near it, and don’t have / never will have a fake ID… but want to know what the heck guys in my situation do (which I imagine there have to be some…). Or do all the freshman guys who look 16 just happen to not be into drinking or going to Coconut Grove or whatever and stay home instead?</p>

<p>SeekingUni,</p>

<p>As someone who was in your situation (I was 19 and looked like a very young, high schooler), I would like to share with you what my weekends were like before I caved in and bought an I.D. I cannot tell if you are into drinking or not, but if it is not your thing then I suggest you look into Drug-Free floors in Stanford Residential College, because you will meet others who share similar interests. I myself made the mistake of living in Hecht, where the stereotypes hold true. The students in Hecht (for the most part) are serious party-goers. I still chuckle today reciting my stories of how floor mates would do “naked laps” around our floor at 3:00am or participate in weird activities (playing video games naked in their door room… pictures have been posted on Facebook of this), which my friends just shake their head in disgust. </p>

<p>Though the city of Miami is a great place, filled with lots of culture and exciting things to do. Not to mention that there are a lot of activities that the university puts on, such as a “Movies on the Lawn” (near Richter), on campus movie theater that has special sneak peeks, a state of the art recreational center and much, much more. </p>

<p>I myself am a person who likes to play hard and work harder, so I did enjoy going to The Grove Thursday nights and to the occasional fraternity/ house party on Red Road before I became a brother of a fraternity. Though I had a group of friends who were completely above-the-influence and they had a great time doing fun things in the area. </p>

<p>What do you like to do? I mean, you’ll be able to find it if you work hard and look for it.</p>

<p>Definitely not going/wanting to be a Stanford substance-free kid (not that there’s anything wrong with them). I never really got into real hardcore partying in HS and didn’t get into drinking until senior year… I’m more than ready to explore those avenues in college, hence my curiosities about UM’s scene. </p>

<p>If house and frat parties are common enough, I suppose that should suffice… I’m not getting a fake ID and I don’t see myself caving in at any point. Do that many people really have them? And are most frat parties closed just to the fraternity or other fraternities, or pretty much open to anybody? (no clue how that works)</p>

<p>Ah gotcha. Yeah, you sound like a total clone of me. I went in with the same mindset and openness to new adventures. College is about experimentation, so I respect it. A lot of people do have them. All fraternity parties are closed, only brothers and prospective rushes (during the beginning of school) and girls are allowed. I mean if you know someone, you might be able to wiggle yourself in, but you usually can’t reap the benefits of being in a fraternity unless you’re a brother of it. </p>

<p>There were a good number of house parties on Red Road and Blue Road when I was a student, so I’m not sure how it is these past few years. Those parties typically charge $5-$10 for a red cup and we like to call them “keggers”, where there are a few kegs and maybe a few bowls of (I forget what Miami calls it), but I’m going to say “Jungle Juice” (UNC called it P.J), which is like Kool aid/ Hawaiian punch with really cheap alcohol that is usually high proof. But I mean they get busted quite often.</p>