Tuscaloosa dermatologists who accept Cigna?

<p>Can anyone recommend a good Tuscaloosa dermatologist, preferably near campus? Must accept Cigna. (Most do, I think…?)</p>

<p>My son is about to start on Accutane (which scares the cr*p out of me, but that’s a whole 'nuther topic). He is supposed to be monitored monthly by a dermatologist while on it.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>i think you can go online and find a list of cigna docs in tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>that won’t help with finding a good one, though.</p>

<p>then you can look at doctor reviews to pick one. </p>

<p>as far as monitoring him while on accutane, they will read lab results and see that the accutane is working and adjust the dose if needed. i would think any derm could do this. some derms, though, are not as keen on accutane as others.</p>

<p>Thanks, Mike, I am googling for reviews. :)</p>

<p>Accutane terrifies me, and I’m not sure he needs it – his skin is clearing up just with doxicycline and benzoyl peroxide; he has very little actual scarring (just hyper-pigmentation), and he’s getting laser treatment for the few scars that are there…so why risk Accutane?? So much to think about. Thanks again!!</p>

<p>both my kids did accutane and it worked wonders. other things weren’t working. : (</p>

<p>so far so good!</p>

<p>Thanks, MikeWozowski! That is reassuring!! Did you see any of the much-hyped side effects? (Sorry if this is too nosy, but I am really scared.) </p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>I’ve had several nieces and nephews do Accutane. My sister did it also. Worked very well. Seems to be less risky for males because of no fear of pregnancy.</p>

<p>none of the bad side effects. just the crazy chapped lips and dry skin. maybe even dry eyes.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!!</p>

<p>i looked for some before/after pics for you but they are not on this computer. </p>

<p>total difference!</p>

<p>Buy stock in Aquafor (lip treatment)! He will want to keep a stash of the stuff everywhere! Also, my D used coconut oil on her face when she was really dry and it worked wonders. You can buy it at most health food stores (google coconut oil for acne). It seems ALL the kids in our town have been on Accutane and I have never heard of an adverse reaction.</p>

<p>My D did feel that she was way more sensitive (emotional) when on the stuff, but she has loved the results.</p>

<p>yeah we know a lot of kids who have been on it too and we have heard of no bad side effects among our friends.</p>

<p>When I needed a physical therapist for my daughter I emailed Dr. Sharpe. I figured since he was a runner and that the Honor’s College had a marathon training group he could offer some insight. Awesome as always, and emailed right back with 3 suggestions. Not sure what he knows about dermatology, but I remember being at Bama Bound last summer and there was an awfully nice lady who told a group of parents that if we ever had “mom related” questions she was the person to answer no matter how silly they seemed. I know her first name was Kiki and her last name was Greek and also started with a K. She kept bringing my D water bottles because she was racing her first half ironman the day after Bama Bound!</p>

<p>That would be Kiki Karatheodoris, the one who sends out a good number of the HC emails. Very, very nice woman. And I get most of my doctor recommendations from HC faculty and staff as well. They haven’t steered me wrong yet.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! I plan to email Kiki. :)</p>