U. Chicago Class of 2027 Official Thread

Class size depends. She had some classes that were quite small (17-20 people), but I think I remember her telling me a couple classes were around 50-75.

As for a curve, yes, most of her stem classes graded on a curve. Her major is similar
In Difficulty to the premed track, and she has taken Gen Chem 1-3 and organic chem 1-2. She has a few good friends (and one roommate) that are premed. It’s a great program and her friends are doing very well

1 Like

I think most of her intro level classes were around 50, but I’m not sure. I’ll ask her and then let you know

My second year has a language class with six students. Bigger classes have discussion sections. My child is happy, working hard, learning a lot.

1 Like

Do you know how grading on a curve works there? I always thought that was something negative that might encourage competition for grades, but I guess there are different ways that curving works. :sweat_smile:
Also curious about how the quarter system is working out?

My daughter has never complained about the curve. If I have my facts straight, there was one class where she got a slightly lower grade than expected. A lot of classes are curved to a B or B+ from what she’s mentioned to me.

The quarter system can be tough, since the classes have to cram a lot of information into a small time frame. That being said, it helps if you are considering a double major. The best advice is not to procrastinate.

As for class size, the intro sequence lecture classes can have a lot of kids, but she never complained.

Just got admitted off the waitlist, didn’t even know it was possible ! Deferred from EA

3 Likes

Texastennismom, my daughter will be a freshman in the class of 2027 at UChicago this fall. We are also from Texas.

I recommend you take a look at the UChicago Class of 2027 Community on Instagram. It has student submitted profiles of a few hundred of your son’s potential future classmates at UChicago. More profiles are added every day.

It has given me great insight into what a UChicago student looks like. I think it would help you feel a little more comfortable.

Congrats and good luck to your son!

wow, how did they contact you? Was it on the phone or what happened?

A senior AO contacted me over emial, asking me if i was avaliable either today or tomorrow for a phone call about my interest in attending UChicago, then i had the phone call yesterday. Then she asked if UChicago was still in my top 3 and was like “I have good news for you then, we’ve pulled you off the waitlist into the class of 2027!” It was very sudden

4 Likes

Congratulations! Did you send in a letter expressing interest after being placed on the waitlist?

No, I only sent in a deferral LOCI

Great news! Will you accept? And what major?

I still have to wait for my financial aid package to come in so I can make comparisons. Also, my major was geophysical sciences

Best of luck! I hope they give you a good package!

1 Like

wow what other schools are you comparing with and what state are you in?

1 Like

also how long are they giving you to accept the offer? Did they tell you that you also have until May 1 like the other students or is it shorter?

Princeton, Cornell, Northwestern, and Washu are the main 4 rn, in Illinois

They didn’t the give me a set time yet

Would you really consider UChicago over Princeton?

1 Like

Best of luck and hope you get a great financial package from all of them. That will be a tough decision! Congratulations!