U Miami OR U Portland???

<p>Hey guys. So it looks like my decision is coming down to either U Miami or U Portland.</p>

<p>Basically, I know that U Miami is hard to get into, prestigious etc. Right now im not certain what I would be studying, but I was admitted as Undeclared major.</p>

<p>I applied to U Portland not thinking I would even go there. However, I was admitted and recieved $52,000 to be divided over 4 years. now THIS interested me- I started lookin up U Portland and was pleasantly suprised to find it is #9 on US World Report 2011 for bestRegional Universities in the West (non-research, but larger than colleges)</p>

<p>Now, I also read that the expected tuition for U Miami is up to 55k this year for incoming freshmen. I didnt recieve ANY aid from Miami, in fact I am waitlisted for spring 2011 but accepted fall 2012. So I dont expect any significant help from miami if i choose to go......</p>

<p>So basically, I know Miami has better sports and probly better academics, as well as prestige. Yet Portland seems to be a solid academic school for almost half the price.</p>

<p>One more question-they gave me 52k off the bat, so should I try and get more somehow? Im not sure how I would go about asking for more money. Obviously I have the capacity to pay, but I want to get all the scholarship money I can get! (I earned the scores ya know..)</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>[Regional</a> University West Rankings | Top Regional Universities West | US News Best Colleges](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-west]Regional”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-west)</p>

<p>Rankings</p>

<p>Based on these quotes from your earlier posts: </p>

<p>“I have about a 3.3 unweighted gpa, 3.4 weighted…
I got a 1890 on my SAT, 1920 combining 2 scores…
…also i wasnt even in the top 50 percent of my class in GPA (given my high school is VERY COMPETITIVE)…”</p>

<p>So, it’s not surprising you didn’t get any merit aid from Miami. Those are pretty low compared to most everyone else who posted their stats in the “accepted” threads. </p>

<p>And, if your FAFSA indicated an ability to pay, either from a college fund or current income sources, then it’s also not surprising UM didn’t offer any need based assistance.</p>

<p>Sounds like U Portland really wants you to attend, so run with that option. As far as asking for more money, I don’t know how you’d accomplish that - most posts I’ve seen from folks who contacted admissions or finaid offices in this vein get the official “all decisions are final” reply.</p>

<p>If U Portland didn’t live up to what you thought it would you could always transfer out to a more prestigious school after a year or two.</p>

<p>Good luck with your decision.</p>

<p>Thanks brah. Yeah you got my stats right, Miami was the hardest school I applied to so I was suprised I got in, and equally suprised I would be paying 55k if I went there.</p>

<p>I just cant see me shelling out a Quarter Mil to go to college. SMU didnt give me aid either so I likely wont go there</p>

<p>Lets go boys, more replies</p>

<p>i also got into:</p>

<p>arizona with 20k
colorado state</p>

<p>Northwest will be a sweet change from TEXAS YEEEHAAW</p>

<p>hahahahhahahahahahahah, that was actually funny. i could go to portland for 30k total, or u arizona for 30 k total. </p>

<p>what do u kids thinkg</p>