UA at Oxford

<p>Whose D went last year? Anyone have any tips or things to do/not do? Bring/not bring?</p>

<p>S is taking a British Detective Lit course & WW2 British/US spy/security class. Interesting.</p>

<p>I think RobD’s D went last year.</p>

<p>To the OP, those look like great courses. Let us know how he likes them!</p>

<p>They wouldn’t have been my choice- I would like the Art & reg Eng Lit. But I can see how they would be interesting.
Right Rob D I’ll have to pm him.</p>

<p>RobD is a lady! :)</p>

<p>ldinct, tell your son to read Operation Mincemeat. Fantastic account of the most amazing British spy coup of WWII.</p>

<p>Ha ha who knew. Well I guess everyone but me.</p>

<p>Hi! It was my D :slight_smile: And I’m a female and hopefully a lady. LOL.</p>

<p>D2 is so salivating over that British Detective Fiction class. If I was going I would take that and the British Pop Music class. D1 took British Literature and a British history class that focused on the causes of the American Revolution. She loved Dr. Halli & Dr. Selesky. </p>

<p>We were very worried about the “British” cell phone before D left. Luckily a friend had been working there & gave her his which she replenished, but she only used it once: to call us after they landed. The program gives very good direction about what to do re: credit cards, cash, phones, etc. </p>

<p>D says: prepare to spend more money than you think you will :wink: If the other classes go on “mini field trips” go on them even if you’re not in the class. Mrs. Jones’ walking tours are wonderful even if they are 16 miles. Bring good sneakers and a rain jacket. If you forget your umbrella they sell them in stores for 2 pounds. If you need a cheap sweater/clothing, go to Primark. And go to Tesco for food. It’s a good idea to have mini water bottles in your room; she drank more water than expected because they walked so much. There are mini fridges in every room. </p>

<p>Outside of the planned activities, she enjoyed going to London to see a show (The Woman in Black was the one they saw;) and went to the British Open. Explore Oxford. Have afternoon tea. Go to the Covered Market in Oxford. For toiletries go to Boots. Take advantage of the side trips on the weekend. </p>

<p>Don’t get your converters here (Radio Shack sold us the wrong one & they were cheaper in England anyway) and buy an inexpensive hair dryer and flat iron there. Not worth frying your expensive Chi due to the current. Hair dryer was 10 pounds and flat iron was 12 pounds. Your computer will need a plug adapter but may need a power converter as well; look at the manual for your laptop before you leave. </p>

<p>Don’t lose your passport (someone did & had to take a side trip to the consulate in London.) </p>

<p>Feel free to ask questions.</p>

<p>Thanks Ms. RobD
I was going to PM you.
Great tips. Especially about the side trips particularly since S is registered for Honors Eng Lit for fall semester.</p>

<p>Did your D go anywhere before or after? I’ve heard some of the group in the past have planned side trips.</p>

<p>*Don’t lose your passport (someone did & had to take a side trip to the consulate in London.) *</p>

<p>Have your child make copies of passport and drivers license and keep those copies in a different place AND give you copies of those things. </p>

<p>My kids objected, but I got them those Rick Steves silk money belts from Kohls. They come in belt style or hang around the neck style. They chose the hang from neck style. The silk material makes them cooler to wear. Room for passport, money, etc. …Two zippered pouches.</p>

<p>ldinct: D traveled to and from with the group. But a good number of students either met them there or traveled Europe after the classes were over. I think DH would have had a heart attack about that; she was still only 18 ;)</p>

<p>Good tip on the passport copies; D kept one in her big piece of luggage and one in her pocketbook, while I had a copy at home. Just. In. Case.</p>