UA Merit Money

<p>College Navigator has it as 14% and 15%…here’s the link. It’s for Fall 2012</p>

<p>[College</a> Navigator - University of California-Berkeley](<a href=“College Navigator - University of California-Berkeley”>College Navigator - University of California-Berkeley)</p>

<p>(Select the Enrollment Tab…)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m sorry to interrupt. I know this is a UA thread, but the above line of thinking about UNC always annoys me. Do you really think the OOS students at UNC are the only ones who are more than decent academically? In the 2012 freshman class there were 3,265 IS students and 649 OOS. I can’t compare GPAs and ECs, but looking at SAT scores does not validate your belief that OOS students stand alone in their incredible intelligence. Here is the top breakdown for SAT scores: 1600 - 7 IS, 1 OOS; 1500s - 148 IS, 75 OOS; 1400s - 148 IS, 75 OOS; 1300s - 909 IS 107 OOS. Yes, there are more IS students in the lower SAT scores also, but clearly the OOS students have plenty of incredible IS students to keep them company. Okay…back to the original discussion.</p>

<p>[First-Year</a> Full-Time Undergraduate Student Profile, Fall 2012 | Office of Institutional Research & Assessment | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill](<a href=“http://oira.unc.edu/facts-and-figures/student-data/admissions/first-year-full-time-undergraduate-student-profile-fall-2012/]First-Year”>http://oira.unc.edu/facts-and-figures/student-data/admissions/first-year-full-time-undergraduate-student-profile-fall-2012/)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I just thought that he meant that since UNC accepts so few OOS students (beyond athletes) that to get one of those seats, you have to be amazing. Certainly, many instate UNC kids are amazing, too. But, since it is a flagship whose main responsibility is to educate instate students, it may weight GPA more heavily for instate (as many flagships do) so as to provide an opportunity for its instate kids who may not have gotten the best K-12 education, but are “A students”.</p>

<p>thank you bu… i was beginning to think only oos students had high stats, and in state was full of low achieving low ses students … nice to see that might not be true. (rolling eyes and smh)</p>

<p>[UC</a> Berkeley enrolls fewer out-of-state students, more underrepresented minorities - The Daily Californian](<a href=“http://www.dailycal.org/2012/08/26/minority-enrollment-on-the-rise/]UC”>UC Berkeley enrolls fewer out-of-state students, more underrepresented minorities)
<a href=“http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/UndergraduateProfile.pdf[/url]”>http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/UndergraduateProfile.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/cds/2012-2013.pdf[/url]”>http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/cds/2012-2013.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
It seems like the Berkeley numbers have been jumping around a bit the past several years as they attempt to gradually increase OOS and yield fluctuates. Some numbers are just OOS domestic separate from international, other combine them. Also I can see that international freshmen are higher %age than the university lists for international UG as a whole. UG profile says 10% each for OOS domestic and international, but using the CDS I calculate 2012 freshman internationals at 13% of UG, a higher number. I suspect it’s similar for OOS domestic. It is expensive for those kids so they finish quickly, or find it so pricey they have to leave after a year or 2. My head hurts trying to figure it out. The news article from 8/2012 indicates 30% domestic + international freshmen for the 2011-12 school year, which is close to the numbers quoted for college navigator for 2012, if restricted to freshmen. But the article also says for 2012 university expects total nonresident UG enrollment to remain about 16%, while its 2012 UG Profile says 20%. Not to mention that the total international enrollment #s don’t match between CDS and UG profile for the same year. 2748 vs. 2669. Ugh.</p>

<p>Also I can see that international [Berkeley] freshmen are higher %age than the university lists for international UG as a whole</p>

<p>Since the int’ls aren’t getting any aid at all, I wonder if some of their money is being used to help fund Cal’s more generous FA policy for instate students.</p>

<p>This has been a really interesting discussion and I want to give myself a homework assignment but I don’t know how to do it. If for each state flagship I wanted to look up …</p>

<ul>
<li><h1>students, #OOS students, and # IS students</h1></li>
<li><p>Total Merit Aid, Merit Aid for IS Students, and Merit Aid for OOS students.
(doubt I can get the OOS and IS split for this one)</p></li>
<li><p>Total Institutional FA, Institutional FA for OOS students, and IFA for IS students
(not counting federal stuff and not loans … only institutional grants)</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Where would I find this. Common data sets? The IDEC(or whatever the database is)?</p>

<p>Thanks!
3ToGo</p>

<p>3ToGo, You can use College Navigator to find some of these numbers.</p>

<p>[College</a> Navigator - The University of Alabama](<a href=“College Navigator - The University of Alabama”>College Navigator - The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>The enrollment tab will give you a percentage breakdown of OOS/IS/International students and total number enrolled.</p>

<p>The financial aid tab (note that some of the data is for the first time students, not all enrollment) can give you some of the financial data. </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Mom, I was referring to the source of UNC and Duke and UVA wealth and their subsequent ability to provide lots of need based aid. Tobacco money, if my memory is correct, had a major role in that, but maybe I am wrong about how these schools became so wealthy.</p>

<p>Not that it really matters, but I made a mistake in the statistics I quoted above…at the 1400s there were 512 IS students and 147 OOS.</p>

<p>^That seems odd that there are less OOS 1400’s than IS.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Some lower score OOS students are likely hooked athletes or talent students (art, theater, music, etc).</p>

<p>M2CK - The stats I posted are M/CR stats, not total score. 1400 is a good score.</p>

<p>Edjumacation - UNC has a lot of excellent students. That was the point I was trying to make.</p>

<p>^That’s why I asked. I would think that more high stat OOS students would be at UA, due to the scholarships.</p>

<p>^^I’m sure there are a lot of reasons. Here’s a few that come to mind… UNC is a great school, they offer decent financial aid to students in need, some students grow up as UNC fans and can’t imagine going anywhere else, some students don’t want to go to a school too far away, and financially, it is still a good deal for a full pay family. There are also just a lot more IS students than OOS.</p>

<p>*M2CK - The stats I posted are M/CR stats, not total score. 1400 is a good score.
*</p>

<p>I realize that.</p>

<p>I just meant that even if a school like UNC is hard to get into as an OOS student (needing top stats), there are OOS students with lower stats that will get in…because of talent or other hooks.</p>

<p>Using BUandBC82 numbers:</p>

<p>SAT IS (%)
1500+ 10%
1400+ 32%
1300+ 58%</p>

<p>SAT OOS (%)
1500+ 23%
1400+ 45%
1300+ 32%</p>

<p>So, 42% of IS students score over 1400, while 68% of OOS students score over 1400.</p>

<p>UNC is a very selective college (in-state or OOS), but even more so for OOS students who are fighting over the allocated OOS slots(18%)! I’m sure we would see the same effect at UW-Madison, another great school that limits OOS.</p>