UAHunstville Meal Plan questions

<p>Hello, all. I’m new here. I’m looking at going to UAH on scholarships. If I don’t get the full ride, I’d have to pay for the meal plan. I don’t plan on eating. Is there a way I can get that fee waived, considering I have medical proof that I won’t be able to use the meal plan?</p>

<p>

??</p>

<p>Usually first-year students are required to have a meal plan. Some schools even require a full meal plan.
See
[Meal</a> Plans, Dining Services, UAHuntsville](<a href=“http://www.uah.edu/dining/plans.html]Meal”>http://www.uah.edu/dining/plans.html)</p>

<p>Do you have a special diet request? Talk to the school after you committed.</p>

<p>crazynin: your question is so specific and pointed: d’you think you’ll get a solid answer here?? A telephone call to UAH is what is needed or some time on their website</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I’ll probably have to talk to one of the admissions people. I plan on preparing my own food due to food allergies, so I figured maybe the meal plan could be waived. Never heard of anyone not having to pay it?</p>

<p>This forum is for Alabama in Tuscaloosa. There aren’t people on the forum that are familiar with the UAH policies.</p>

<p>If a meal plan is req’d, but you have many, many food allergies, then you’ll have to contact UAH, provide allergy documentation, and see if you can get a waiver.</p>

<p>I seriously believe that you would not have a problem getting a meal plain waiver with the proper medical documentation. I would just call dining services and explain the situation. If they cannot safely prepare your food, and with seriously life threatening allergies, they probably cannot, I do not see them forcing you to pay for a meal plan that you cannot use. I am neither providing medical or legal advice but just think of the liability issues.</p>

<p>Serious food allergies that can cause anaphylaxis are becoming more prevalent. You have to know what to do in case of an emergency and don’t be afraid to let your friends, teachers, or whoever be aware of your situation. Carry your meds and wear a piece of medic alert jewelry. Cross contamination can occur and you need to be prepared in case of an emergency.</p>

<p>Well the thread was moved, so it doesn’t fit perfectly, but it’ll do. Thanks for all the responses. I’ll see about getting some documented proof.</p>

<p>Well, if it is a true medical condition, you would definitely need medical proof and documentation. If they were going to allow an exception, they wouldn’t do it based on your word alone. Otherwise, every student who didn’t want to pay for a meal plan would try the same thing. </p>

<p>I am assuming that you have already been treated by a doctor or allergist at least. If you have food allergies and have not been medically advised then you should try to take care of this medical condition before you head off to college. You should know all about your medical condition and how to deal with it.</p>