UC Admit Rates for Fall 2022 Freshman now posted

The UCOP Freshman Summary has been updated for Freshman admit rates based on the Capped weighted UC GPA for Fall 2022 admits.

Please notice that they have changed the GPA scale so instead of 4.20+ Category, the Maximum Capped weighted GPA listed in their statistical analysis is 4.00+. I have also listed the 2021 admit rates for comparison. Basically across the board decreases in admit rates for all the UC Campuses.

2022 Admit rates based on the Capped weighted UC GPA.

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

2021 Admit rates:

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 30% 11% 2% 1%
Davis 85% 55% 23% 10%
Irvine 60% 31% 14% 1%
Los Angeles 29% 6% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 98% 96% 89%
Riverside 97% 92% 62% 23%
San Diego 72% 25% 2% 0%
Santa Barbara 73% 28% 4% 1%
Santa Cruz 91% 81% 46% 9%

Also the UC admissions by source school for 2022 has been posted.

2 Likes

Is this because they are placing more emphasis on the uncapped weighted and individual course rigor?

1 Like

Maybe they felt the former breakdown was misleading applicants with 4.20+ GPA into thinking they were likely to get in to some of these schools (and then being disappointed). The new breakdown makes the mid and higher tier UCs appear to be more challenging admits.

1 Like

Both @tamagotchi and @primitive_caffeine make good points.

I also noticed that there are 2 new categories on the Freshman Summary page which are # of A-G courses and # of Honors courses which emphasizes rigor and the expectation of going above and beyond the minimum requirements.

I agree that the new GPA categories are more realistic in terms of the overall admission chances.

Do you mind linking this for me?

I wish they would classify by percentage of applicants rather than total number.

Not following. Percentage of applicants vs total number in regards to admit rates??

1 Like

Sorry, look at the number of honors classes for UCSD over the years.

In 2022, 47,704 (36%) applications had 10+ honors courses. 48,747 (37%) had 5-9.9 honors courses. Total applications on chart is 131,229

In 2021, it looks (on the bar graph) that students took fewer classes. However, there were fewer applicants and the percentage of courses was approximately the same. 42,326 (35.7%) had 10+ honors courses. 44998 (38%) had 5-9.9 honor courses. Total applications on chart is 118,383

If the bar graph showed percentage of applicants rather than total number, I think it would be easier to view the change over time.

These are really interesting data points – I assume that count includes all years of HS, including 9th and 12th grades?

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I haven’t had time to look over the data for Honors and A-G courses since I just noticed these were new categories.

I agree with using percentage it would make it better to view the changes.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m reading something wrong, but it seems like at just about every campus, the actual # of admits dropped significantly from 2021 to 2022. Haven’t had time yet to look at yield data, but I wonder if that’s because yield % went up pretty much system-wide? Very interesting. And sort of disturbing :grimacing:

2 Likes

Please disregard this post. Sorry, I don’t know how to delete this (was made in error). I misread my daughter’s data.

1 Like

OMG, admits from our school to basically every UC dropped by almost half from 2021-2022. Thank goodness my D23 has a few safeties they are ok with…
My suspicion is that kids at our HS generally have higher than average test scores, but we don’t have weighted honors courses, only APs. So these two factors are not helping…

3 Likes

I’m also curious about whether or not the 7th and 8th grade courses in math and/or Language other than English get included in the A-G course count.

But yeah, overall it’s just concerning to see that at most campuses overall acceptances dropped by like 2,000 or more students. My guess is that yield was up in 2021 and that some schools were dealing with overcrowding/lack of housing. It’s a bummer. Would love to think that the numbers would swing back a little in 2023, but somehow I doubt it.

1 Like

Same for our school - acceptance rate dropped significantly in 2022 compared to all previous years. We also only have one honors course, and only 15 total offered AP courses (often with only one section so many students aren’t able to actually take many because they fill up quickly). I think that hurts our chances, but it is not new for our school, and hasn’t apparently been a problem in the past. Perhaps last year that changed, however, as the competition for spots keeps growing and growing.

4 Likes

And I’m curious about campuses such as UCB (and maybe UCI, UCSC?) that have a housing crisis: how has that impacted their plans for 2023 in terms of # of acceptances?

2 Likes

I don’t know about UCI having a housing crisis (haven’t paid as much attention), but I would put UCSB in that camp. Where are you guys seeing school by school data on admits? I’m not seeing that for 2022. I’ve seen it for 2021 but if you have a link to the 2022 school-by-school data, can you drop that here?

1 Like
1 Like