How Does the UC System Calculate GPA?

<p>Hey Guys,
I was wondering… how do the UCs calculate GPA?
please enlighten me :)</p>

<p>i also know that they have a cap on weighting grades</p>

<p>there are a few steps to calculating the UC gpa:</p>

<ol>
<li>disregard freshman and senior year</li>
<li>take all the a-g courses you have and add them up with 4 being an A, 3 a B, 2 a C, 0 for D and F</li>
<li>add one point for each AP or UC-approved honors course up to 8 points</li>
<li>divide by the total number of classes you used to calculate your total</li>
</ol>

<p>theres the UC gpa.</p>

<p>only 8?
ah how depressing :(
thanks for the input, though</p>

<p>what do you mean a-g courses?</p>

<p>Does AP Scores have to do with anything?</p>

<p>AP scores have next to no impact on UC admission.</p>

<p>"A-G" courses are UC approved courses. Pretty much all courses are UC approved except for TA or Underwater Basketweaving.</p>

<p>underwater basketweaving? lol...o man u have just made me giggle after reading those depressing stats about kids who I will never be as smart as...see I can't even form a coherent sentence. anyways, thanks for the laugh</p>

<p>dont know why you say goodbye
i say hello</p>

<p>haha i'm glad you laughed, why do you think ur stats are low? you can always take Philosophical Tautologies 101 or Chimpanzee Rhetoric 202</p>

<p>major bump.</p>

<p>there are a few steps to calculating the UC gpa:</p>

<ol>
<li>disregard freshman and senior year</li>
<li>take all the a-g courses you have and add them up with 4 being an A, 3 a B, 2 a C, 0 for D and F</li>
<li>add one point for each AP or UC-approved honors course up to 8 points</li>
<li>divide by the total number of classes you used to calculate your total</li>
</ol>

<p>theres the UC gpa.</p>

<p>is this really the correct method? it seems too good to be true o_O</p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>There you have it. If you are a California HS student, you should definitely be aware of what A-G means. It refers to the subjects and the number of each required.</p>

<p>A-G Info: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>and you only get an extra point for an honors course if you get a C- or better in it</p>

<p>also im pretty sure a D counts as a 1, also not a 0</p>

<p>Be careful about the honors classes, I have heard of students thinking they would get a bump but did not.. I think it was an honors english class that caused a disturbance last year....sorry I can't remember the details but it is something to talk with a knowledgable quidance councelor at your school, if you can find one.</p>

<p>If you are out of state, how do you know if your honors/AP class is getting an extra point?</p>

<p>^^^ Exactly; how do I determine if i OOS Honors courses are going to get weight?</p>

<p>That is going to be difficult to determine on your own.</p>

<p>As I understand it, all AP courses get the weight. However, the honors courses may or may not count for anything because lots of school have frivolous honors courses. Only honors courses certified by UC count as honors and such a list is available online for California high schools only.</p>

<p>It seems that some schools offer an honors level and an AP level for the same subject, which is ridiculous unless the honors level one is not weighted. So basically, if the honors course isn't as difficult as the AP level and practically the same as the regular class, then don't even think about it.</p>

<p>I took AS-Physics last year, a 5.0 class. This year I am taking AP Physics.</p>

<p>the difference between physics and as physics is that in as physics we go into the subjects more in depth and go into vectors, while normal physics just skims the surface of each subject.</p>

<p>Gee, I would hope that the OOS students would be able to get their schools into the act to provide content descriptions for UC admissions, so as to be competitive, & for their own knowledge of their standing for a-g.</p>

<p>Just FYI, given my D's resultant UC adjusted GPA for a-g courses, all 24 of her courses in soph & jr. yrs (which included intervening summers) were given a bump. Since only 6 of those were AP's, they must have given her the full 1-pt. credit for the remaining 18 Honors class as well. I would think any solid college preparatory high school would fall in the same category for such adjustments.</p>