Uc Berkeley admissions advice

Will I get into UC Berkley for business?
Here are my stats
GPA: uw: 4.0 w: 4.7 uc gpa: 4.33
ap classes: ap euro, ap human geo, ap us, ap lang, ap calc (all 5s)
extracurriculars: water polo captain (Varsity 3 years), non-profit with over $10,000 raised
SAT: 1520
major awards: national merit, ap scholar with distinction
Demographics: Public school, male, upper-middle-class

If I can’t get into Berkeley what other colleges should I apply to for target schools?

No clue but your 1520 won’t be seen.

So you took 5 APs? Did your school offer many and you chose few ? Or you took all offered.

Just stat wise you can apply to any school in the country.

Where should you apply? Depends on your interests. But Arizona would be near tuition free, Alabama would be free + free room, and Miami Ohio and Indiana would be well reputed options dependent upon area of business you want to study.

Good luck

1 Like

I can’t chance you, but UCB is a reach even tough you are a strong candidate stats wise.

IU Kelley would be a safety (as long as it’s affordable) because you meet the direct admit criteria. If you haven’t applied, send that app in ASAP.

Where else have you applied? What’s your budget? Is CA your home state?

You realize that UCB Business is not a direct admit and you have to apply to Haas as a Sophomore after taking the required pre-req courses?

You are a competitive applicant but UC’s are test blind.

UCB is a Reach school for all applicants.

2020 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 37%

Best of luck and I hope you have a good list of Safety and Match schools.

CC Posters can make recommendations if you answer the following questions: Home State? College Budget? What type of school and location are you looking at?

1 Like

you are a strong applicant but, UCB is a reach for every applicant.

Hopefully you have applied more broadly

good luck!

The programs with direct admission to the business major as frosh are super selective. Most business majors start in undeclared L&S or at community college and apply for competitive admission to the business major in their second year

8 posts were split to a new thread: Questions for UC and other California schools as a prospective appicant

Back to the OP, and maybe @HankCT too.

If you aren’t from CA, can you afford the full cost of attendance at Cal…about $65,000 a year?

To the OP….are you instate for CA?

A post was split to a new thread: Chance an OOS applicant for the UC’s

Your school (Naviance) and your academic advisor is crucial regarding your admissions chances.

FWIW: The spelling is “Berkeley”.

Probably not. Not without hurting our retirement … or co-signing significant loans with her.

It’s one of those things, where our child would have to convince us that the investment was an excellent one. I had thought that there could potentially be some merit awarded (both of my kids got merit awarded in the schools they are in, making the net cost of attendance competitive), but looking around sounds like that isn’t likely. In that regard, seems like it’s limited to either Cali residents, or VERY wealthy OOS families.

If she were aggressively pursuing some high paying career and could convince us the loans would be worth the investment, then maybe. Otherwise, not likely.

She will probably pick a few schools that are reach schools, just to see. My guess is she will pick a school that is a very good school, but where she is in the top 25% of their accepted kids, so that she can get the merit and lower net cost (and I doubt she would win one of the few big merit awards from a school like Cal Berkeley or Duke, even with the near perfect grades)

There’s no convincing to do when it strains your retirement. You need to set expectations up front. Take Cal off the table. B4 it’s too late. We don’t need anymore financial casualty stories.

While it’s a fine school so are many affordable flagships. You can use Arizona as a sub. It’s liberal. It’s solid. It’s dirt cheap. And has better weather.

Is she NMF…you say natl merit. If NMF, see Alabama. There’s a reason they have the most of any in the country. Tuition and room 4 years.Other schools like IU, Miami are mentioned above. U of SC is the top intl business school in the country and will be cheap.

Do LACs work ? If so see the Johnson Scholar at W&L…too late if a senior.

You can be successful in business from any undergrad. And depending on her specialty….some schools are better than other. Did I miss the specialty of business ?

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/nationalscholars/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.