UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

I think that would just be the admit rate for L&S, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

I don’t think Letters and Sciences admits by major, does it?

@Sternmd
College of L&S does not admit by major with the exception of High Demand majors starting this year.

2 Likes

ucb and ucla admit by their SCHOOLs, not by majors, correct?

2 Likes

*in general, without exception of high demand majors

1 Like

For UCB, admission in the CoE is by major. L&S is not by major for frosh except for designated high demand majors starting this year.

Transfer admission is by major.

UCB admits by major for the College of Engineering, College of Chemistry and High demand majors in L&S.

UCLA admits by major in the College of Engineering but not in the College of L&S.

Looking at the 2022 stats, its clear they were always admitting by major even if not publicized as such.

3 Likes

I never understood how this worked. Do they or do they no admit by major. If not, why does CS or EE even matter?

Hi Jayesh did you have a lot of ECs to show your CS work? I understand you took 1 AP.

She applied to several other UCs. Happy to have many great public options to apply to here!

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by CS and EE. College of Engineering admits direct to major, and major selection will impact admission. L&S will switch to direct to major admissions for high demand majors (CS, DS, etc.) starting this fall.

Yes I emphasized that a lot of my extracurriculars are related to computer science and my PIQs also have references to my passion in studying computer science. I have been working with a organization for almost 5+ years now managing all of their web development and tech related work and have developed several prototype apps and other projects relating to CS as well.

3 Likes

In case you missed yesterday’s article in Berkelyside and are interested in the Cal housing crisis:

Does anyone know how the regent’s scholarship at Berkeley works? I know it’s a $20k scholarship that they give to around 200 students but what are the things they look at in an applicant when deciding who to award it to? Do only low-income students qualify for it? Also is there any clarity on when some early decisions will be released by Berkeley this year? Last year they admitted around 950 students on February 11 and the other remaining decisions were released on March 24. Will it be the same this year?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s need-based, I believe it is solely merit-based, with a focus on leadership and exceptional achievement. And, from what I understand, those applicants who receive early notification (in January/February) are in fact the ones being considered for the regent’s scholarship, with the rest receiving notification in late March/early April.

Early notification includes students being considered for Regents, and also includes some other students, such as recruited athletes, and students admitted to special programs like MET.’

The vast majority of students won’t hear anything until the regular notification date, though.

2 Likes

The Regents scholarship is $2,500 for students without need. For students with financial need, the scholarship increases to their full need as assessed by the school.

2 Likes

It would be great if the homeless and substance abuse issues plaguing that area could be resolved. But that isn’t happening anytime soon, and any large open piece of land like that is going to end up creating unsafe conditions for everyone. I don’t understand why some of the residents there seem to prefer that to new student housing and affordable units. It’s pretty annoying when in the lawsuit they complain about inadequate student housing, while blocking new projects!

2 Likes

I think the priority registration perk is probably one of the biggest benefit of Regents.

3 Likes