UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

I was out of town so am not sure if this was shared or not.

Daily Cal: UC discusses plans to increase CA resident enrollment by 2026-27 academic year

The report states that the UC system will enroll 1% more resident undergraduate students per year between 2023-24 and 2026-27 and shift a portion of nonresident enrollment to resident enrollment.

When the changes have all taken place, the goal is to have no more than 18% of the university’s undergraduates be out-of-state students. As of 2022-23, UC Berkeley currently has 23.6% of students enrolled as nonresidents.

According to the report, the UC system has a target of shifting 902 nonresident seats to resident seats for the 2023 cycle, which the university is expected to meet. UC Berkeley is expected to reduce and shift 1,627 nonresident slots to resident slots by 2027.

According to the Budget Act of 2022, which preambled the annual report last year, the state would give the university $31 million in order to offset tuition loss from nonresident students.

6 Likes

Must admit, good expectation setting! TY

This is great info. Thanks for posting.

Hope this helps some qualified in-state students

2 Likes

me, an international applicant:

LOL fingers crossed

1 Like

CA residents. How are you handling mandatory FAFSA. my EFC is high. Not expecting any aid.

We qualified for a Cal Grant, so was very helpful for us.

Most people recommend filling out the FAFSA anyway, but if you do not want to fill out the FAFSA, your high school should have an opt-out form.

I have a Cal first year. Our efc was high-ish and we still qualified for Middle Class Scholarship (not Cal Grant). I’d just fill it out, you never know.

One of my friends who was applying to colleges around 3-4 years ago said he got around 1k in FASFA aid even though his parent’s income was pretty high. He goes to a private university now.

We filled it out anyway because we wanted our son to be able to get the federal loan each year (wayyyyy better terms than parent loans). Plus if one of us loses our job or dies unexpectedly, we need to have submitted in order to appeal based on new circumstances.

2 Likes

So submit to all all campuses separately?

It’s one app but yes you have to put in each campus

2 Likes

You just need the school code for each campus. That’s the easiest part of the fafsa.

1 Like

For clarification, FASFA does not give financial aid. The information on the FASFA determines if you qualify for Federal aid.

3 Likes

At some schools, CARES Act funds were only distributed to those who had their FAFSA up to date.

Does anyone know if it is possible to switch intended majors on the applicant portal for UC Berkeley? I accidentally selected the wrong major when applying

May not be possible: Berkeley will not accept post-submission updates. Any updates that are sent will not be considered in the application reading process.

1 Like

I don’t think you can. @Gumbymom may have info, though.

For College of Letters and Sciences: Applicants can request to change to their majors on the UC application before the January 31st deadline for major change requests. Applicants can request a major change through their MAP@Berkeley portal.

Other than the High demand majors, the College of L&S does not admit by major nor the College of Natural Resources (CNR).

For other Colleges, I cannot find any information but you can try changing using the portal information above.

3 Likes